Should I switch from Bacto balance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two part question,

I’ve been dosing NP Bacto balance for about 5 months. Im currently dosing 1ml daily and it keeps my phosphate nailed at .03 but it’s darn near impossible to get my nitrate above 0. Ive tried backing off my dose of Bacto Balance. If I dose 1ml every 3 days I can get 1 nitrate but my phosphate goes up to around .09. Not that those numbers are bad. But I’d like to be 1n and .03p if possible. Or as close to it as I can get, I’m a little OCD if you can’t tell.

First question- should I stick with what I’m currently doing trying to fine tune my dose? Or switch to one of TMs other dosing options, elimi NP or Plus NP?

Second question- if I should switch, can I mix the two together to make the transition smoother. For example mix 1/3 Plus NP to 2/3 Bacto balance ?

Im probably over thinking all this but I’ve been pretty happy with everything in my tank all my acros have great polyp extension and growth has been pretty solid. The only down side, and the reason why I want my nitrate up is I’ve noticed that a few of my pink acros have started to pale or grey out a bit. I’ve notice as my phosphate goes up I need to clean my glass daily sometimes twice daily. I’ve tried dosing nitrate but it’s gone pretty quick and I really don’t want another product to dose if I can just switch my carbon sources to get the same effect.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to simply my above narrative question is simply. Can I raise my nitrate while at the same time keeping my phosphate down? If yes what is the “best” way of doing that?

Thanks again!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to simply my above narrative question is simply. Can I raise my nitrate while at the same time keeping my phosphate down? If yes what is the “best” way of doing that?

Thanks again!
i hope you get a more experienced response from someone. i am just looking into this product and it does not seem like there is much in the way of reviews and experiences with the bacto balance.

brs sure makes it look good on their product spotlight video

but i would think and i could be wrong but its probably low just not detectable on the hanna, but maybe if you prefer it elevated (and i would probably agree) so you can measure it could you just add a daily amount of n03 source? i know you didnt want to...

again im not sure and i hope to see this get some answers and past experience with this product , because BRS makes it look to good witch is scary with them lately.....but the product does seem like a very interesting option for carbon dosing and keeping n03&p04 in check. do you have any more information on what else your dosing any aminos or AB+ or others

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but i would think and i could be wrong but its probably low just not detectable on the hanna, but maybe if you prefer it elevated (and i would probably agree) so you can measure it could you just add a daily amount of n03 source? i know you didnt want to...

do you have any more information on what else your dosing any aminos or AB+ or others
Your right there probably is some nitrate in there. I was going to give more detail on my tank but figured people didn’t want to read a novel, but here we go.
So, quick run down on my tank

180g, 220 total 1 year old tank 2 year old rock and corals
sps dominated mixed reef
-Dosing-
NP Bacto balance 1ml
Kalkwasser 7000ml
All-for-Reef 90ml
BW Coral aminos 20ml
daily water change of 1.5g
-Filtration-
Filter roller
Skimmer with recirculating CO2 scubber (only runs for 8hrs at night)
UV on return plumbing (24/7) to protect my tang and their fish. I know I have ich in my tank from mistakes with my first few fish.

Here is what the tank looks like
343B0ECD-EB35-49B1-B7B7-F0F614103403.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F35DE0F-17B5-4884-A36C-176A762A8FA0.png
    1F35DE0F-17B5-4884-A36C-176A762A8FA0.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 67

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right there probably is some nitrate in there. I was going to give more detail on my tank but figured people didn’t want to read a novel, but here we go.
So, quick run down on my tank

180g, 220 total 1 year old tank 2 year old rock and corals
sps dominated mixed reef
-Dosing-
NP Bacto balance 1ml
Kalkwasser 7000ml
All-for-Reef 90ml
BW Coral aminos 20ml
daily water change of 1.5g
-Filtration-
Filter roller
Skimmer with recirculating CO2 scubber (only runs for 8hrs at night)
UV on return plumbing (24/7) to protect my tang and their fish. I know I have ich in my tank from mistakes with my first few fish.

Here is what the tank looks like
343B0ECD-EB35-49B1-B7B7-F0F614103403.jpeg

what numbers are you running? what salt mix?

sweet looking tank, definitely looking good!!!!!

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what numbers are you running? what salt mix?

sweet looking tank, definitely looking good!!!!!
Alk 8.5 ——-tested daily via GHL KHD
Cal-420 ——as of a month ago
Mag 1300 —as of 2 months ago
Nitrate 0 +/-?
Phosphate .03 (thanks to Bacto balance without itI’m generally near .09)

nitrite/ammonia 0

Salinity 35ppt
Temp 78.5 +/- 1
Ph 8.15-8.25

Salt mix- TM Pro Reef mixed and stored in 150g container in my garage.

I feed my fish using an auto feeder 4 times a day. I feed a mix of TDO chroma boost and SeaWeed Extreme.

A4R has kept my cal/mag locked in with my alk so I’ve been lazy about testing those 2. I’ve been using A4R for almost 2 years

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch to tropic Marin amino has N in it. Might be your easy way to raise nitrates. Or just dose pure nitrate…
That’s good to know. I was thinking about switching anyway since I’ve had such good luck with other TM products.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back