Should I switch to carbon and filter floss only?

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 , its been running for about 4 years, I have always used chemipure blue with just the intank bonded poly filter floss. I was wondering if any of you just run carbon and filter floss only? I read that chemi pure blue is just expensive carbon, and I was thinking of switching to brs rox 0.8. I have a couple leathers that seem to be bothering some of my mushrooms and I think running more carbon would help with such low water volume. Anyone have any experience running BRS rox 0.8 in a biocube and would this be a good replacement for chemipure blue?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more in Chemipure than just GAC. Do you need it? Doubtful, but who knows. Many don't even need GAC on their tanks all of the time.

Your residual po4 could rise since Chemipure does have some compound that lowers po4. Just monitor. Even if you need to lower po4, you can get some GFO and do it yourself for a lower cost.

OP
OP
420yoshi

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank was doing fine until I add leathers, everytime I add a couple leathers my muchrooms and anemones start acting and looking weird, would it be too much to add carbon on top of chemipure blue? or would that be stripping too much from the water? My zoas dont seem to like when I add chemipure or extra carbon to the tank since they seem to like "dirtier water." Im debating just reducing the amount of leathers in my tank as another option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back