Should I switch to carbon and filter floss only?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 420yoshi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2019
Messages
74
Reaction score
11
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 , its been running for about 4 years, I have always used chemipure blue with just the intank bonded poly filter floss. I was wondering if any of you just run carbon and filter floss only? I read that chemi pure blue is just expensive carbon, and I was thinking of switching to brs rox 0.8. I have a couple leathers that seem to be bothering some of my mushrooms and I think running more carbon would help with such low water volume. Anyone have any experience running BRS rox 0.8 in a biocube and would this be a good replacement for chemipure blue?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html​

 
There is more in Chemipure than just GAC. Do you need it? Doubtful, but who knows. Many don't even need GAC on their tanks all of the time.

Your residual po4 could rise since Chemipure does have some compound that lowers po4. Just monitor. Even if you need to lower po4, you can get some GFO and do it yourself for a lower cost.
 
my tank was doing fine until I add leathers, everytime I add a couple leathers my muchrooms and anemones start acting and looking weird, would it be too much to add carbon on top of chemipure blue? or would that be stripping too much from the water? My zoas dont seem to like when I add chemipure or extra carbon to the tank since they seem to like "dirtier water." Im debating just reducing the amount of leathers in my tank as another option.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new