Should I test Trident Calibration solution prior to calibration?

Blammomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested my calibration fluid for calcium with 4 different test and they were all the same. 100 less than what was printed on the bottle. Now my trident days I'm at 450 when all my other test are at 350! Now if I calibrated to the wrong value of coarse this will happen. Could one of me test be off sure but not 4. And all 4 be in the same range...

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that a question. Can we use let’s say the calibration solution any time. What a I am really wondering is. On my two boxes ago and last box I did not use the calibration soliton. On my last order. I used the last calibration solution so I have two left over. I think my trident is too off. Can I us the older calibration solution. ??? Or are the solutions tied to specific reagents.

Ldc3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that a question. Can we use let’s say the calibration solution any time. What a I am really wondering is. On my two boxes ago and last box I did not use the calibration soliton. On my last order. I used the last calibration solution so I have two left over. I think my trident is too off. Can I us the older calibration solution. ??? Or are the solutions tied to specific reagents.
As long as they are too old you should be able to use it. The solution is just a known standard, so it doesn't mater which reagent you are using it for. The Neptune guys even suggested testing Hanna Checkers against it. I have two Tridents and I use one bottle to check each Trident and then use the second bottle to check both again a few days after changing Part A.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.... i am now going out of my mind.. give me some guidance guys. this cant be this hard..

1. I have the six month supply arrived.. says sell by 7/1/2021... (three boxes 3 calibration solutions) told that is ok as that means use within one year of that date.
2. opened box and followed the new label doc that said how to do the calibration now.. which instead of waiting a day or so.. says to do three combined tests over a period of hours... then do the calibration.. I did that and the alk and mag readings were ok.. the Calcium reading was off. so i posted here and went ahead and did another calibration this am using the bottle in the second box of three.. ...meaning....
3. so i did the calibration task from the apex.. used the second bottle and calibrated... .... then ran the test using that same fluid.. i get these readings..

alk on bottle 8.25 trident reads calibration fluid at 7.86 second 8.06
ca on bottle 405 Trident reads 325 and second time at 308
Mg on bottle 1253 trident reads 1330 and second time 1328

so do we think calibration fluid is bad ?
Should I do another calbiration using the third box containing the fluid.
should I dump the set of reagents and use a fresh box.

time to call neptune

Blanco_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it should be calibrated at least once a month. I have found that after a couple weeks my calcium is off. Once I go back and recalibrate my calcium is really off Sometimes by as much as 70 points. It always reads high, so I cut off the DOS, so it’s getting no calcium. Each two month supply should come with 2 calibration solutions , so you can recalibrate when you change reagent A.
Agree 100%, for the price they should come with two calibration solutions, mine after 4 weeks, calcium and mag start drifting high

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.... i am now going out of my mind.. give me some guidance guys. this cant be this hard..

1. I have the six month supply arrived.. says sell by 7/1/2021... (three boxes 3 calibration solutions) told that is ok as that means use within one year of that date.
2. opened box and followed the new label doc that said how to do the calibration now.. which instead of waiting a day or so.. says to do three combined tests over a period of hours... then do the calibration.. I did that and the alk and mag readings were ok.. the Calcium reading was off. so i posted here and went ahead and did another calibration this am using the bottle in the second box of three.. ...meaning....
3. so i did the calibration task from the apex.. used the second bottle and calibrated... .... then ran the test using that same fluid.. i get these readings..

alk on bottle 8.25 trident reads calibration fluid at 7.86 second 8.06
ca on bottle 405 Trident reads 325 and second time at 308
Mg on bottle 1253 trident reads 1330 and second time 1328

so do we think calibration fluid is bad ?
Should I do another calbiration using the third box containing the fluid.
should I dump the set of reagents and use a fresh box.

time to call neptune

Sorry just seen this. How's it working out for you so far?

I gave up on the calibration solutions. They were hit or miss and I couldn't trust it. I trust my Hanna ALK checker and my Salifert kits for Cal and Mag. I take a red solo cup and fill it with tank water. I then perform all three test with my kits. I take those numbers and the water in the cup and use them for the calibration. Easy and has been pretty spot on to my other kits thus far.

I will take an alk test once a week with my Hanna and when the numbers start to drift more than .20 then I calibrate again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back