Should my alkalinity be dropping with just two corals?

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker for alk???? What’s the batch number on the reagent??
If you're asking if I use the Hanna checker, I do not. I'll have to check the batch/lot# on my Tropic Marin bottle, if that's what you're thinking I should do.

Thanks for the link to that thread, but again, I only have two soft corals, and no coralline algae (except what's on the zoa plug?). My nitrate isn't rising, so I guess its not the bacteria...diatoms? I'm not sure about that.

I'll test again tomorrow too and see what I get

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bactrica transforms NO2 to NO3, in this process it will consume ALK
Yes but according to that thread when something uses the nitrate the alk will increase by the same amount that it decreased by when it was converted to nitrate, so the net result is the same alkalinity. You'll only see a decrease if your nitrates are drastically increasing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shootingstar_reef if you have sand in the tank is it getting hard or starting to clump together from what I've read that can be caused by calcium carbonate precipitation. Also if you use GFO it can possibly cause precipitation.

Sorry I can't be more help

lany2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but according to that thread when something uses the nitrate the alk will increase by the same amount that it decreased by when it was converted to nitrate, so the net result is the same alkalinity. You'll only see a decrease if your nitrates are drastically increasing.
not really, in the no2 to no3 process, bactrica will release co2 which comes from ALK(HCO3), in the no3 to n2 process will release some ALK but still not enough to make the whole amount balance.

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my alk test today (2 days later) and it was 7.5, so it's not dropping fast anymore. I basted(?) the sand a little with a turkey-baster to disrupt what I think are diatoms. I guess for now I'll consider it an anomaly until I come up with a better explanation. Thanks everyone for your input and time

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back