Should my corals be allowed to grow as they please?

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I came across a tank(can’t remember where) that was huge, and the corals were allowed to grow where and how they wanted, even if it meant fighting between corals. While parts of the tanked looked great, others not so much. I completely dismissed the idea.

since then I’ve seen multiple other tanks where the corals are allowed to do the same(whether on purpose or not is to be determined) and It was basically the same thing. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

fast forward to me walking into the office just now and noticing a missing ricordea. I’ll admit it wasn’t in a great spot and probably had too much flow. But I figured I’d leave it for a bit just to see.

Well I found the mushroom immediately and it could not have been in a more perfect spot, chosen all by itself(with a little help from the powerheads)

then it hit me… maybe I should just let my corals grow however they want? Of course I would make every attempt to place them in appropriate spots, but if a ricordea moves itself, or my encrusting Monti starts getting a little too close to my Acro, or that pesky Gsp works it’s way up a rock and onto my glass, maybe I should just see how it plays out?

What is everyone’s thoughts here? Is the bad idea fairy planting seeds in my head? Could this potentially work?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my tank has grown out, I pretty much let the coral warfare happen. I do prune them if it starts to get bad, but for the most part I let them compete for space.

I am sps dominate of course, which makes a little easier to prune if the need arises.

I think as a tank matures, it looks more natural.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I worry about and remove when I can are disco mushrooms. When they get close to other corals or release and land on corals they kill them.
I have many corals fighting for room in my 120 after 2 1/2 years. If they start killing one another I will trim.

This green slimer has grown right into this wild acro. It has done it in several places but this is the best pic.

The slimer is also about to grow into my surf & turf so we will see what the result is and adjust accordingly.

My pavona on the bottom of my tank is killing my alien eye chalice and their is not much I can do at this point. I have tried trimming but a stag is in the way so I will let nature take its course on that one.
Also the monti is shading it quite a bit now.
You can also see the disco shrooms in the pic.
20211208_140647.jpg
20211213_155911.jpg

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my tank has grown out, I pretty much let the coral warfare happen. I do prune them if it starts to get bad, but for the most part I let them compete for space.

I am sps dominate of course, which makes a little easier to prune if the need arises.

I think as a tank matures, it looks more natural.
Exactly! I love the natural aspect of it! And it’s kinda cool to actually see how resilient corals can be if they conditions of your tank are optimal!

i will say, I would make attempts to save expensive corals and corals that were being completely overran or killed

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I worry about and remove when I can are disco mushrooms. When they get close to other corals or release and land on corals they kill them.
I have many corals fighting for room in my 120 after 2 1/2 years. If they start killing one another I will trim.

This green slimer has grown right into this wild acro. It has done it in several places but this is the best pic.

The slimer is also about to grow into my surf & turf so we will see what the result is and adjust accordingly.

My pavona on the bottom of my tank is killing my alien eye chalice and their is not much I can do at this point. I have tried trimming but a stag is in the way so I will let nature take its course on that one.
Also the monti is shading it quite a bit now.
You can also see the disco shrooms in the pic.
20211208_140647.jpg
20211213_155911.jpg
Photos like these are what made me consider the idea! I do like how you mentioned saving corals from being killed if possible, as that’s what I would try to do as well!

Nice set up btw!!

Edit: just saw the part about the disco shrooms! I actually turned down a couple free disco frags a week or two ago for this reason! They looked super nice, but the guy, whose tank looked way better and mature than mine, was getting rid of them all bc they were multiplying and killing everything in his tank

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos like these are what made me consider the idea! I do like how you mentioned saving corals from being killed if possible, as that’s what I would try to do as well!

Nice set up btw!!

Edit: just saw the part about the disco shrooms! I actually turned down a couple free disco frags a week or two ago for this reason! They looked super nice, but the guy, whose tank looked way better and mature than mine, was getting rid of them all bc they were multiplying and killing everything in his tank
Yes they are demon shrooms and thats being nice.
I unfortunately will never be able to remove all of mine. He most likely will not either.
I removed 5-6 from my frag system and 2 months later they reappeared.
The other issue is when I remove 6 or so at a time I disturb others and thats when they release cause damage.
20211127_153337.jpg

Last edited:

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a sheriff in a coral town, and city development planner.

In a nature, there are more than 1m corals, rare tank can allow this, and large areas, populated by single species, what can happen in a reef tank too, if leave it to its own.

Keeping corals on easily detachable smaller rocks helps, removing them when necessary, either for repositioning or fragging. Borders can be set with a strip of 2-part epoxy putty, removed and replaced when necessary.
  • GSP can grow on the back wall,
  • encrusting corals can encrust a small statue or a geometrical shape like a dog ball,
  • branching corals are easy to frag in place,
  • but neither of this works with corals that can start floating in the search for a better place or with corals that drop branches (or release planula, setting down the stream)
  • and corals, growing as walls (wall hammer) or thick mounds (acans) reed removing for fragging with band saw or chisel.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are demon shrooms and thats being nice.
I unfortunately will never be able to remobe all of mine. He most likely will not either.
I removed 5-6 from my frag system and 2 months later they reappeared.
The other issue is when I remove 6 or so at a time I disturb others and thats when they release cause damage.
20211127_153337.jpg
Thank you for convincing me to never add these to my tank

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a sheriff in a coral town, and city development planner.

In a nature, there are more than 1m corals, rare tank can allow this, and large areas, populated by single species, what can happen in a reef tank too, if leave it to its own.

Keeping corals on easily detachable smaller rocks helps, removing them when necessary, either for repositioning or fragging. Borders can be set with a strip of 2-part epoxy putty, removed and replaced when necessary.
  • GSP can grow on the back wall,
  • encrusting corals can encrust a small statue or a geometrical shape like a dog ball,
  • branching corals are easy to frag in place,
  • but neither of this works with corals that can start floating in the search for a better place or with corals that drop branches (or release planula, setting down the stream)
  • and corals, growing as walls (wall hammer) or thick mounds (acans) reed removing for fragging with band saw or chisel.
Lots of good info here!

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just starting another Thread on this same topic, so I'll jump in here instead. My tanks have typically had corals spaced and kept away from each other to avoid the stinging coral wars, but I also like the more natural look. But as the tank fills and corals grow and close on each other what are the some of the results in particular conflicts? I am suddenly into Hydnophora and I know the neighbors will be at serious risk. (A Hydnophora frag on my frag rack in sump just wasted a montipora frag).

I know it is a broad question so here are some examples and questions:

1. Montipora plates grow toward and touch Acro sticks. What happens when they touch? (I see the post above where this is shown)
2.. GSP grow toward the base of a Sinularia. What happens when the GSP touch the base?
3. Encrusting Psammacora is approaching Galaxea.
4. Montipora is also growing up the rock toward the Galaxea.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just starting another Thread on this same topic, so I'll jump in here instead. My tanks have typically had corals spaced and kept away from each other to avoid the stinging coral wars, but I also like the more natural look. But as the tank fills and corals grow and close on each other what are the some of the results in particular conflicts? I am suddenly into Hydnophora and I know the neighbors will be at serious risk. (A Hydnophora frag on my frag rack in sump just wasted a montipora frag).

I know it is a broad question so here are some examples and questions:

1. Montipora plates grow toward and touch Acro sticks. What happens when they touch? (I see the post above where this is shown)
2.. GSP grow toward the base of a Sinularia. What happens when the GSP touch the base?
3. Encrusting Psammacora is approaching Galaxea.
4. Montipora is also growing up the rock toward the Galaxea.
While I can’t answer your question, I did see a pretty cool thread on here the other day with winners/loser of coral warfare. I know I saw examples of encrusting and plating montis meeting up with acros. In those cases there was evidence of the Monti winning, the Acro winning, and an example where they kind of grew around each other! Pretty neat and kind of plays Into the whole “one persons tank will not be the same as next persons” type of thing. Also may come down to specific variation between species

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve decided this is an experiment I may try to tackle with my 55 gallon. While I’ve seen some nice 55’s, as a whole there’s just not as much aquascaping room as I’d like with dimensions. Think I may start documenting natural coral growth, seeing what works and what doesn’t, and just kind of letting the corals do their thing. I’ll obviously place them and move them as needed for optimal growth, but I’m going to allow coral warfare to happen to a certain extent, only fragging or pruning of absolutely necessary(or maybe a couple trades here and there locally)

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just see what happens when the corals start to touch. Does one start to recede? Do they just grow together? Then I make a decision about whether to cut or not. I'd prefer NOT to cut and just let them grow and fill in. I like that look quite a bit. There are certainly times when I trim a coral because I'd rather it grew upward more vs outward, shading out smaller corals.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just see what happens when the corals start to touch. Does one start to recede? Do they just grow together? Then I make a decision about whether to cut or not. I'd prefer NOT to cut and just let them grow and fill in. I like that look quite a bit. There are certainly times when I trim a coral because I'd rather it grew upward more vs outward, shading out smaller corals.
Do you have any photos of your set up? Trying to get all of the motivation I can!

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anthelia definitely grows like a weed. Any other coral I'm fine with taking over. I like Xenia and GSP so I don't mind those growing big

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its best to lay down invisible fencing to keep corals in designated spots
Where can I purchase some invisible coral fences? Didn’t see it on BRS or Amazon? Hopefully someplace where I can buy in bulk! Thanks!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back