Should you Really be so Scared of Hitchhikers?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays live rock isn’t anywhere as near as bad 15 years ago when you had a high rate of bad hitchhikers. I used to be scared to reach into live rock tanks for fear of mantis shrimp and blue ring octopuses!
I was present at my lfs for delivery of lr and they got 2 octopus from it. One I picked up from the floor. Awesome

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool... probably originally from Cairns...I was actually doing research earlier to figure out just where the Australian stuff comes from
The majority of imports from Australia seem to come from the Pitcairn Islands however I doubt the LR does (Purely due to Australia being over 3000 miles away).

If I ever get back into the LFS systems (As in working in one) then I may be able to try and find out where certain things come from in more depth however last time I was in one we mainly went off of the waters around that country (Which can be quite vast). So if a fish was from Indonesia that’s pretty much all the information we’d get and know. The only way to tell specifically where in the water it’s from is if that fish had a colour variant for specific areas, so Scotts Wrasses have colour variants from Vanuatu, Australia, Fiji, and the Cook Islands.
Hopefully that makes Atleast some sense.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
The majority of imports from Australia seem to come from the Pitcairn Islands however I doubt the LR does (Purely due to Australia being over 3000 miles away).

If I ever get back into the LFS systems (As in working in one) then I may be able to try and find out where certain things come from in more depth however last time I was in one we mainly went off of the waters around that country (Which can be quite vast). So if a fish was from Indonesia that’s pretty much all the information we’d get and know. The only way to tell specifically where in the water it’s from is if that fish had a colour variant for specific areas, so Scotts Wrasses have colour variants from Vanuatu, Australia, Fiji, and the Cook Islands.
My reasoning behind that is due to Cairns Marine being the major supplier of live rock in Australia...they're based in Cairns (as for where precisely the rock comes from we'll probably never know exactly but due to the heavy restrictions I doubt they expend too much of their quota on live rock from the select restricted areas instead of rare corals which they also collect)

Donnydickerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 4 year old tank with rock taken from the intercoastal ( here in FL). I don't do dips, don't quarantine, and don't freak out at something new showing up in the tank.
As of 6 months ago, I stopped doing water changes, got rid of the filter socks, and stopped using a skimmer. My filtration is only live rock, chaeto and filter floss.
So, I'm doing the opposite of everything I was told in the beginning.
The result... My fish are fat, my corals colorful and growing well, and some amazing little critters have appeared.
BTW, a LOT less work on my end!!
This is my vision. May need to talk with you more. Awesome stuff

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest hitchhiker — they’re all over, multiplying and thriving in the tank for whatever reason. I have ulva and normal turf algae on the rocks but that’s it, so it’s a bit of a mystery to me as to what they’re thriving off of. Coolest find yet. Stuff like this makes up for when you find something bad. I think that rn anyway, b/c I haven’t found anything truly bad in a while.

Attachments

• 2353A2DE-9ABF-4457-988E-85A51CCDA1F3.jpeg
    2353A2DE-9ABF-4457-988E-85A51CCDA1F3.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 48

Rene'

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest hitchhiker — they’re all over, multiplying and thriving in the tank for whatever reason. I have ulva and normal turf algae on the rocks but that’s it, so it’s a bit of a mystery to me as to what they’re thriving off of. Coolest find yet. Stuff like this makes up for when you find something bad. I think that rn anyway, b/c I haven’t found anything truly bad in a while.

Those are awesome little algae eaters! Any crabs in your tank will eat then though

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchikers scare me… I never pick them up alongside the road…

;)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sent off an ICP. That goes to Cairns too.
I just saw you're in Adelaide! You already knew it came from Cairns then...I assumed like a majority of members you were from the U.S. or UK in which case I think the fact that it came from Cairns would be news to them

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha...with how some people talk about them you'd think that's what was intended

I just saw you're in Adelaide! You already knew it came from Cairns then...I assumed like a majority of members you were from the U.S. or UK in which case I think the fact that it came from Cairns would be news to them
Nah just knew it was most likely from Qld. But Cairns makes sense. The LFS did tell me a name once

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah just knew it was most likely from Qld. But Cairns makes sense. The LFS did tell me a name once
So I'm curious what they charge for it down there given the fact that it doesn't have to be shipped across the ocean (supposedly in water too which would make it extra heavy) pretty sure in the U.S. they pay $25 USD a pound for it

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm curious what they charge for it down there given the fact that it doesn't have to be shipped across the ocean (supposedly in water too which would make it extra heavy) pretty sure in the U.S. they pay $25 USD a pound for it
$30 per Kg I think I paid.

Shipped in some water. Enough for hitch hikers to survive.

I scored many a hitch hiker. I mentioned earlier being there to see 2 octopus from one delivery. One was palm sized the other thumb nail size

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back