Shout Out: Smallest Tank, Biggest Tang and YOU!

What's the smallest tank you think is suitable for a tang (surgeonfish)?

• Nano up to 50g (don't choose this option unless you want to be arrested)

Votes: 104 7.1%
  • 50g or larger

Votes: 212 14.4%
  • 75g or larger

Votes: 496 33.7%
  • 100g or larger

Votes: 312 21.2%
  • 150g or larger

Votes: 123 8.4%
  • 200g+

Votes: 45 3.1%
  • Gallons don't matter it's the length (swimming room) that matters.

Votes: 179 12.2%

• Total voters

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' at the very least. I'm getting sick and tired of people claiming their tang "seems happy" in their 4' tank.

Your skill level and years of experience mean absolutely f@#&all. You haven't discovered some new technique to keeping fish.

Just stop getting fish that are inappropriate for the home you have available to them.

/grumpy old man rant
6 vs 4 that’s still not much space.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this si also assuming what size. a small baby tang could be kept in a 20 then moved up as it gets bigger. are we asking this questions for adult tangs or just in general. if its just a general question then depending on how one views it will make the poll inaccurate

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol the tang police are real. I'm one of them. Just read through the replies of people claiming their tangs are "happy" in a 20 gallon. 40 gallon. 55 gallon. They should know better at this point, but for some reason people think that just because they get away with it that their tangs are happy. lol

There is a difference between 'surviving' and 'thriving' and many people will make up whatever excuse they can, to justify keeping fish they shouldn't. Its cruel and people should take better care of the animals they keep.

Ill ask you the same question as the other person - how do we know that any of the inhabitants of our tanks are happy? or stressed? As I said in my answer - tangs should be kept in the largest tank possible - beyond that - I see no difference between tangs and any other fish we keep - compared to the ocean they may be being kept in more stressful - or less stressful conditions - in a tank they have ready access to food, lack od predators, etc. But this is the same for all fish - not just tangs?

I'd also like to see information as to why a 6 foot tank is ok - but a 5 foot tank is not. Or why an 8 foot tank is ok and a 6 foot tank is not, etc etc etc. Is the real issue you have is that tangs should not be kept in aquariums - if so - that seems more logical than saying 6 foot arbitrarily - doesnt it?

Norman's_Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they come up with the "required tank sizes" anyways? Are these updated over time? Now i'm just curious about the science behind some of these rules that we all acknowledge and police. If anyone has any resources I would love to see them, as i'm pretty interested in how this is all determined in the first place.

Joseph Honaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill ask you the same question as the other person - how do we know that any of the inhabitants of our tanks are happy? or stressed? As I said in my answer - tangs should be kept in the largest tank possible - beyond that - I see no difference between tangs and any other fish we keep - compared to the ocean they may be being kept in more stressful - or less stressful conditions - in a tank they have ready access to food, lack od predators, etc. But this is the same for all fish - not just tangs?

I'd also like to see information as to why a 6 foot tank is ok - but a 5 foot tank is not. Or why an 8 foot tank is ok and a 6 foot tank is not, etc etc etc. Is the real issue you have is that tangs should not be kept in aquariums - if so - that seems more logical than saying 6 foot arbitrarily - doesnt it?
Because they haven't faught 1ce in a combined 7 years......that's a sign of no stress.....and 1ce in a while I catch a few smiling so I assume there also happy! Lol

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the tang police are real. I'm one of them. Just read through the replies of people claiming their tangs are "happy" in a 20 gallon. 40 gallon. 55 gallon. They should know better at this point, but for some reason people think that just because they get away with it that their tangs are happy. lol

There is a difference between 'surviving' and 'thriving' and many people will make up whatever excuse they can, to justify keeping fish they shouldn't. Its cruel and people should take better care of the animals they keep.

Do you think there is a big difference between keeping a tang cooped up in a 40 gallon versus a 100 gallon? Compared to the miles they swim in the ocean?

I find it ironic that you comment on people justifying keeping fish they shouldn't.... technically, we should not be keeping any of these in captivity unless we have gigantic 20,000 gallon tanks!

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which tangs are happier? Under less stress? FWIW - 2 of them are in an aquarium - the rest are about to be eaten...

images-1.jpeg
images.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because they haven't faught 1ce in a combined 7 years......that's a sign of no stress.....and 1ce in a while I catch a few smiling so I assume there also happy! Lol
That question wasnt meant for you - it was meant for the people who say you need x number of feet for tangs to be happy:). I liked your post.

Joseph Honaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole tang only in giant tanks statement is getting ridiculous.....all of you who get ticked about a fellow hobbyist putting a few tangs in a 75 or even a 210 220, it sounds like you work for some kind of tang rights movement. Lol. These are fish that more than likely would be devoured by now in the ocean or in an ACTUAL terrible situation in captivity, then die. The simple fact ANYBODY is on here asking questions about their pet proves that he or she cares and would not just keep putting them in bad depressing situations and keep killing them. So the holy ones on the tang police force should CHILL!

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I said 6' at the very least. (I certainly wouldn't keep tangs in a 6') And even then, most tangs are not even appropriate for 8'. Depends on the type of course. Saying there is no difference in the fish we keep is kinda loaded imo. Its not arbitrary. Its common knowledge that tangs need more swimming room than other fish we keep. Anyone who has kept tangs can see that clear as day. People will claim their fish are "happy" just because its not dead and it eats lol. but keep a tang in a 4' tank for 2 years and then move it to a 8' for 2 years. The difference in behavior is night and day.

Basically, I have no problem with tangs in an aquarium but I do have a problem with people thinking a smaller tank is appropriate just because they get away with it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 6' at the very least. (I certainly wouldn't keep tangs in a 6') And even then, most tangs are not even appropriate for 8'. Depends on the type of course. Saying there is no difference in the fish we keep is kinda loaded imo. Its not arbitrary. Its common knowledge that tangs need more swimming room than other fish we keep. Anyone who has kept tangs can see that clear as day. People will claim their fish are "happy" just because its not dead and it eats lol. but keep a tang in a 4' tank for 2 years and then move it to a 8' for 2 years. The difference in behavior is night and day.

Basically, I have no problem with tangs in an aquarium but I do have a problem with people thinking a smaller tank is appropriate just because they get away with it.

But the difference between the ocean and a 6 foot, versus the ocean and a 3 foot, is negligible. Irrelevant. Both are in environments that are millionths of a percentage of what tangs normally utilize.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But an extra 2 feet its a big deal relative to the fish we're talking about. 6' is the very least I would consider appropriate. And even then, the vast majority of tangs wouldn't be appropriate for even 8'.

I am curious as to which tangs you feel are appropriate for a 6 foot tank and which ones really need an 8+ foot tank??? If you don't mind me asking:)

BTW I'm asking a serious question as I'm really curious

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to which tangs you feel are appropriate for a 6 foot tank and which ones really need an 8+ foot tank??? If you don't mind me asking:)

Im curious as well- should I pick one up for my 4 ft reefer 350?

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read any posts as not to be swayed by opinions. If your tang can grow to 12" , 8ft might be the min. for a happy fish to grow like it should. I would say 12ft would be better.
If the tang police want my application, I have one avail for d/l

Joseph Honaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude is just going to argue with you man. I've kept a sailfin HAPPY FAT AND HEALTHY for 5years in a 75 and 2 now in his new 220 with 6 brothers and sisters. They all school together and get along. I have....
Powder blue
Sailfin
Kole
Regal
Yellow
Scopas
Purple
And they get along GREAT happy and healthy....not just recently .....for the past 2 years together.....will they outgrow the tank,hard to say. I've seen many tangs in captivity not grow to full size. They may not. There coming up on over 8 years old and my biggest is maybe 5 or 6 inches. Every fish is different with a different personality....and if introduced correctly it works. That's been proven many many times over... my tank according to the police should be ww3 BUT ITS THE OPPOSITE! I dont sit here and type what I THINK. Only what I know FROM EXPERIENCE. There

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Did you happen to read the article I posted above - concerning the 'common knowledge' of what size tangs need? I'd be interested I your opinion. It makes sense that there is a difference in behavior - but does that change in behavior mean they are 'more happy' or 'less stressed' or that they were 'unhappy' in the smaller tank?

BTW - keeping a 1 inch wrasse in a 100 gallon tank might be adequate - but does that mean its 'happy' or 'unstressed'? BTW - as I said - I agree with you - that for ANY fish a larger tank is better than a smaller one.

Here is the article - im sincerely interested in your opinion of the opinions in the article. https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2009/01/07/beware-the-tang-police/

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much talked myself into a power-blue tang, and I'm putting it in a tank that's only gonna be 16" front-to-back...... I wrestled with the idea of whether the width/depth mattered or not, and decided in the end, I'm not pulling one out of the ocean, so I'll give it a shot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back