I got this guy yesterday.

Dragon Wrasse.JPG
That's a really nice Wrasse!!!

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanna see black tang ban lifted i just want to see them for sale never seen 1 for sale apart from that hybrid i linked you the other day
I've seen black tangs come through stores but not too often because they're expensive. Reefpro has several in stock right now. Although they shouldn't be housed in a tank smaller than 180g.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen black tangs come through stores but not too often because they're expensive. Reefpro has several in stock right now. Although they shouldn't be housed in a tank smaller than 180g.
Really why 180g? arnt they just like yellow tangs? same species get the same size

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really why 180g? arnt they just like yellow tangs? same species get the same size

Depends where you source your information . While they're both Zebrasoma tangs some research suggests they get a little bigger than the yellow tangs. Aggressiveness also plays a factor in determining tank size. Whether they are more aggressive than others - I don't know since I've never kept one. I do know the ones I've seen in the LFS have been significantly larger than the yellow tangs I've seen.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The black tang isn’t like the yellow. The blacks get bigger and it’s more likely for a true black to reach 1’ long. 180 is pushing it for small honestly, same with the gemmatum - these also get 1’ long.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an extremely rare wrasse for you...

1675975054180.png

Cirrhilabrus sp. aka Ogasawara fairy wrasse
If only these were available in the hobby…
My LFS had a wrasse that actually matched a similar pattern when in display. Its fins went bright red whilst its main body remained a ghostly white, that was one wrasse I have yet to ID and I really wish I had a photo. It’s likely this specimen was one of the many Cirrhilabrus sp. and doesn’t have a true scientific name.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a rare wrasse that had its moment this time last year and then… Nobody seems to mention them anymore.
Xenojulis margaritaceus

Almost everyone had one of these guys in their tank at one point last year but now it’s like they never existed yet again.
I’ll try find the photos I took when I saw a couple males and females this time last year.

Edit: This isn’t the best photo of a male however it’s the only one I could find.
C08B1447-B18E-4FBE-9480-5E11C5C31CD7.jpeg

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a rare wrasse that had its moment this time last year and then… Nobody seems to mention them anymore.
Xenojulis margaritaceus

Almost everyone had one of these guys in their tank at one point last year but now it’s like they never existed yet again.
I’ll try find the photos I took when I saw a couple males and females this time last year.

Edit: This isn’t the best photo of a male however it’s the only one I could find.
are magma wrasse hard to get like are they available over here

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are magma wrasse hard to get
Honestly, I’m not going to say they’re easy.
No rare fish is easy to get however some are harder than others. I would say Magma’s are in that middle range of being moderately hard to get hold of.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenojulis margaritaceus

One thing I will say about this fish is it’s really a 50/50 fish. You either love it or dislike it - I personally dislike it now.
I only recommended it because… Well you wanted rare :)
I would grab a female Halichoeres lapillus over this species any day, the red in that species is just unbeatable and you still get your fair share of green.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Anampses viridis? That would truly be a unique addition to your tank!
It did go extinct in 1840 but that just shows it's really rare!! (Actually it was misidentified and is in in fact Anampses cearuleopunctatus) Sorry couldn't resist the joke :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will say about this fish is it’s really a 50/50 fish. You either love it or dislike it - I personally dislike it now.
I only recommended it because… Well you wanted rare :)
I would grab a female Halichoeres lapillus over this species any day, the red in that species is just unbeatable and you still get your fair share of green.
i think i have fallen in love with the magma wrasse tbh i might ask a few LFS if they could get me 1 think if i ask TOP they would try?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i have fallen in love with the magma wrasse tbh i might ask a few LFS if they could get me 1 think if i ask TOP they would try?
What other fish are in your 4’ again?
If you don’t have a risk of any aggression I’d go for it but if not I would recommend against this species.
The other issue is you will want to try get a female of this species as they have shortened lifespans as males when their lifespans are already rather short.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in your 4’ again?
If you don’t have a risk of any aggression I’d go for it but if not I would recommend against this species.
The other issue is you will want to try get a female of this species as they have shortened lifespans as males when their lifespans are already rather short.
the only fish that may show aggression is the lemonpeel angel

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would put a mirror up for the powder blue it works for me the purple is not bothered atleast it was not about the goldflake

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsure of how the goldflake angel would react not added anymore fish since i added him he seems peaceful though

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for yours to color up so red? I know they redden with age.
I don't remember I got him a long time ago. I also have the one with more stripes but he is even older.

Back