Show me Your Large Clowns in a Nano

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a Clarkii type clown or pair of clowns for my JBJ 45 Flat Panel. Clowns such as:
  • A. akindynos
  • A. allardi
  • A. bicinctus (including Spotcinctus)
  • A. clarkii
  • A. fuscocaudatus
  • A. tricinctus

Display is basically a 30 gallon tank. I am trying to visualize a 5-6" clown in my tank and would love to see some wide shots of these types of clowns in folks similar sized tanks. I tried searching for this and only got a few hits that provided good scale. Thanks in advance!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a Clarkii type clown or pair of clowns for my JBJ 45 Flat Panel. Clowns such as:
  • A. akindynos
  • A. allardi
  • A. bicinctus (including Spotcinctus)
  • A. clarkii
  • A. fuscocaudatus
  • A. tricinctus

Display is basically a 30 gallon tank. I am trying to visualize a 5-6" clown in my tank and would love to see some wide shots of these types of clowns in folks similar sized tanks. I tried searching for this and only got a few hits that provided good scale. Thanks in advance!
That tank might be a bit small for a 5” fish. Hopefully some more people will chime in. I have smaller clowns in a 40g. Good luck!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank might be a bit small for a 5” fish. Hopefully some more people will chime in. I have smaller clowns in a 40g. Good luck!

Thanks! I feel that way too which is why I would love to see some FTS for scale with a Clarkii-ish clown prominent. I feel only a BTA really fits in that sized tank and would prefer a natural matching clown to be hosted.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I like it, but $500+ is more than I would spend on a fish in a small tank.

I should mention that I realize the tank is small, but in my experience clowns do not wander too far from “their spot.” That is why I think it could work. Clarkii complex venture a little more than others, but not too far out. Still, I am probably leaning toward a smaller fish. Hopefully I can get some posters here to add some images, but it may be that few keep these fish in small tanks.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my thoughts Caveman, but I don't feel putting a larger clown pair inside of a smaller tank like that is as criminal as it may appear. As you know, clowns are not roamers once they are being hosted. Some do traverse entire large tanks, but more often times they go straight from their nem to the spot the food comes in then back to their nem. So for like 95% of the fish that get to like 5" I would generally not think it was a great idea. For clowns I'm more kinda, meh, they don't use a ton of space anyways so why not.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Latz in a 40 breeder in my basement for now, but they will eventually go in a red sea reefer 170 or similar(once the floor where the tank will go is done remodeling).

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Latz in a 40 breeder in my basement for now, but they will eventually go in a red sea reefer 170 or similar(once the floor where the tank will go is done remodeling).

Nice. Have a picture?

Karla Rogge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the clowns you were asking about but my heifer is about 3.5 or 4" in a 29 biocube. I have some inverts but no other fish as I know the tank is small and she would likely kill anything I add even if she was in a larger tank. I make my husband run interference with a net when I need to stick my hand in the tank.

0730181840c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the clowns you were asking about but my heifer is about 3.5 or 4" in a 29 biocube. I have some inverts but no other fish as I know the tank is small and she would likely kill anything I add even if she was in a larger tank. I make my husband run interference with a net when I need to stick my hand in the tank.

0730181840c.jpg

Nice! Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sebae clown that’s about 8 years old in my 28g JBJ nano, it’s about 4-5” long. It’s been hosting a ~12” carpet anemone in this tank for years. For about 7 years I actually had an ocellaras (spelling on that is a mess, sorry) in the same 28g who hosted a giant toadstool. I finally bought a 90g last summer and moved the toadstool with the hosting clown over.

The sebae barely wanders away from the anemone, so I don’t think a clown of that size would be a problem. But definitely can’t see adding any other fish, especially if you have an anemone.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sebae clown that’s about 8 years old in my 28g JBJ nano, it’s about 4-5” long. It’s been hosting a ~12” carpet anemone in this tank for years. For about 7 years I actually had an ocellaras (spelling on that is a mess, sorry) in the same 28g who hosted a giant toadstool. I finally bought a 90g last summer and moved the toadstool with the hosting clown over.

The sebae barely wanders away from the anemone, so I don’t think a clown of that size would be a problem. But definitely can’t see adding any other fish, especially if you have an anemone.

Wow! A Carpet in a 28 gallon! The display of that is about 18" and 20 gallons if I recall correctly.

I have a Pink Streaked Wrasse currently (maxes around 2") and would be fine with only a clown or clowns as the next and only fish. I should mention I had a related thread a while ago debating clown and anemone species pairing in a small tank.

Anemone / Clown Pairing in a Nano

After much thought, from thinking along the lines of both threads, I am thinking a BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) is my best anemone choice and the next decision is do I go with a pair of Ocellaris Clowns (3" max, but not a natural hosting match) or perhaps a single Clarkii type clown (thinking Bicinctus/Spotcinctus) that maxes out around 5-6" and is naturally hosted by the BTA. Thanks to everyone for your input so far. It is really helping me consider my options.

I would still LOVE to see some pictures of a large Clarkii, Akindynos, Bicinctus in a 2-3 foot long tank to get a better idea of the scale. Thanks!

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oscellaris clowns
D8503D73-AD91-4A8C-AFDE-7D09D12D8040.jpeg

Captive bred pair in 10g. Female is approx 2 inches. 2 tiny gbta’s which they both host in. Only have a coral banded shrimp, bicolour blenny and a few snails. Can’t add anymore fish, they and the bicolour are very territorial. The male clown bites every time we put our hands in and for a tiny bugger, it ******* hurts!!!
B9092921-F435-430A-BD7C-73754FFB0F9C.jpeg

Pair of Indonesian wild caught in 30g. They are still young, female is 1.2 inches, not much bigger than her mate. Lots of other fish stock and inverts. They were first in the tank and are not in anyway aggressive to us or other tank mates. Got a good sized gbta and a tiny white bta...they chose to host in the Duncan, till he sadly passed not long ago. Tank is currently fallow due to ich outbreak.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back