2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendation requests for my 350:

1) good skimmer
2) (2) mp10s or (2) mp40s?

I'm pretty happy with my Vertex 150, but there are lots of other good options.

When I bought my 350, it came with a MP10 and MP40. I've since replaced the 10 with another 40 and couldn't be happier. I'm keeping mostly SPS, so it might depend on what you plan to stock in yours.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more more light to my 425, now im running 6x39w t5 w/4 ati blue+ and 2 ati actinic. 2x 36"reefbrite XHO and two AI prime HD and I think I want two more ai prime. My wive literally stole half of my sps colonies to take to her work tank, so not the best picture. I have as bunch of new aquaculture sps colonies coming soon so hopefully I can make it pretty again.

Also I run a Nyos 160 on this tank and it's perfect. Really the best skimmer I've ever owned. i can very reliably tune my nutrient levels by scheduling on/off times. ive never been able to do it with lpng term success before i got it.

v1i65WG.jpg

Last edited:

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with simplicity skimmers? My LFS is recommending the 240DC.

My tank will be pretty stock so heavy bioload. Don't want to quite settle for what my LFS carries if there are better options out there that you guys recommend.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my brand new Reefer Nano, with a nano sized Broadfield mod. Still pretty cloudy from the freshly added sand.

Xjl811Y.jpg

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me with the inside dimensions of the stand on the Reefer 525xl? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I want to order lights for inside the stand and just need the length of the sump & chiller compartments.
Didn't see a response yet, width, depth, hight in inches;
sump: 37.75x20.25x29.875
dry side: 18.875x20.25x29.875
There is a little more available on the depth before interfering with the doors but the surface depth is 20.25

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see a response yet, width, depth, hight in inches;
sump: 37.75x20.25x29.875
dry side: 18.875x20.25x29.875
There is a little more available on the depth before interfering with the doors but the surface depth is 20.25

Thank you very much for that info

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got in a Nyos 160 skimmer for my reefer 350. I kinda underestimated the size, is it possible to have too big of a skimmer for your tank? Now I'm kinda having second thoughts thinking I should've went with the Nyos 120.
I use the Nyos 160 on a Reefer 450 and only 2/3 of the time.
Buying too big is not really an issue i think... just feed a little more. Lol

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more more light to my 425, now im running 6x39w t5 w/4 ati blue+ and 2 ati actinic. 2x 36"reefbrite XHO and two AI prime HD and I think I want two more ai prime. My wive literally stole half of my sps colonies to take to her work tank, so not the best picture. I have as bunch of new aquaculture sps colonies coming soon so hopefully I can make it pretty again.
It looks like you have Giesemann Matrixx fixture?
How did you install the additional LED (Reefbrite and AI)?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have Giesemann Matrixx fixture?
How did you install the additional LED (Reefbrite and AI)?

The matrix has room for 8 bulbs inside but since there are only 6 I cut the reflectors and put the reefbrite strips inside the fixture. the Prime are just mounted to the sides of the fixture. I really only use the primes for shimmer they dont add much PAR. If I turn all the lights all the way up its over 1000 at the waters surface and 300 ish on the sand bed. but im running at 50% right now.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally! Got the plumbing done. Have some cleanup to do, wiring equipment (getting the final piece later this week ;)) and finish the mixing station.

Hopefully some water in this bad boy next week.

20170128_171230.jpg
20170128_171505.jpg

Crap...

The elbow on the return (left) line has a leak. That's not so bad to swap out since I put a couple unions but the bigger problem is the left reactor Spears gate valve actually has a leak. The valve itself. Not sure what to do with that one. Had finally added some bio-pellets last night. Still have to check the right side reactor. I could see if I had a leak from some of the glued joints I did but wasn't expecting any from the valves.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hard plumbed the 350 (both regular overflow drain and emergency drain) and if so would love to know what parts you used. Got approval from my wife to use space in the office which is in the room behind the fish tank for a bigger sump. I like the current sump however, it is challenging due to the height to handle my Zeovit reactor, etc. Thanks for any input

Alex Mullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. Would anyone know the exact measurements of the 350 sump ? Im looking to get a different sump and want to make sure its going to fit. I have called red sea and looked online and the numbers im getting aren't matching up.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my test of BRS soda lime vs half the price stuff of shopmedvet, they seem to be about the same for me. The BRS stuff lasted about 6 days, and I changed something that let it last a little longer. I now have the Apex shutoff the skimmer if the pH goes above 8.35. 2-3 days it would hit 8.45 so I thought this would extend the life a bit and not run the pH to high. Back to the cheaper stuff this week with the new skimmer programming to see if it makes a difference. I get between 5-7 days out of a canister pulling in outside air for both products. Not nearly as long as I was expecting.

Fallow period is over in 2 weeks, I have enough soda lime for another 10-11 weeks. Then I will decide if it's worth continuing the scrubber or not. Definitely seeing new growth and alk consumption is up. Nothing mind blowing and I have changed my T5 bulb combo (running 4 B+ and 4 C+ now instead of 4 B+, 1 C+, 1 P+ and 2 actinic) and tweaked the light schedule a bit (running lights 2 hours less, but running all 8 bulbs together longer and eventually want all 8 running for 8 hours) while doing this.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. Would anyone know the exact measurements of the 350 sump ? Im looking to get a different sump and want to make sure its going to fit. I have called red sea and looked online and the numbers im getting aren't matching up.

I'll can get it for when I get home or someone else here may help.

Chad_2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

27 5/8" long, 17 1/8" wide, 13 3/4" tall hope that helps just measured mine.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running (2) kessil 360w on my 350 but it's not cutting it for me. I'm looking to upgrade. I'd appreciate from feedback from those with experience.

1) AP700 -I hear great things about this fixture. However, I cringe at the fact that it's about $1000 but still undergoing beta testing.

2) (2) radio xr30 -comes at a heft price tag but controllability is good

Back