Show Off Thread - Fish

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. They are two different species with very similar common names :doh: (ie., P. tuka and P. pascalus both being called Purple Queen Anthias).

@deerhunter06 You have Siganus punctatus, while @NeuroticAquatics has Siganus guttatus.

Both are commonly called "Orange Spot Rabbitfish".

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may buy a female if the mirror doesn't work! With so many wrasses it may work out! Is there a variant of Scotts wrasse female that is more stunning than the others? Any chance another male would work? (In a tank with 15 other wrasses?)
Another female will eventually end up as another male. And with as aggressive as the species is, two males scottorum's in a tank is not something I'd advise, regardless of tank size, I'm afraid.
Typically the Cook's offer the best coloration upon collection, with the Australian's not too far behind. But they all end up the same dullness in due time.

I figured it out. They are two different species with very similar common names :doh:
Yup...
I hate common names. :)

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a fish eat algae like he does and I mean like any type of algae.

Deerhunter and others with this fish:

Does he pick on corals at all? I saw one at Reefstock in Denver... one of the coolest fish I have ever seen and had not seen one in person before. But the exhibitor said it had gone rogue and was picking at the corals in the tank and they couldn't wait to break it down after the exhibit to get him away from the corals. It was in a tank with show size corals.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does he pick on corals at all? I saw one at Reefstock in Denver... one of the coolest fish I have ever seen and had not seen one in person before. But the exhibitor said it had gone rogue and was picking at the corals in the tank and they couldn't wait to break it down after the exhibit to get him away from the corals. It was in a tank with show size corals.

There is a chance it will eat Zoas and LPS.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was all LPS in the tank. Mostly some type of euphyllia if I recall correctly... but that could be totally wrong. I do know there was a huge pectina in there, but he was leaving that alone.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine never picks at corals

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more ......

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow guys keep these coming!

How the heck do you all take such good photos of fish? Mine are HORRIBLE once they're in the tank!

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow guys keep these coming!

How the heck do you all take such good photos of fish? Mine are HORRIBLE once they're in the tank!

High shutter speed, large aperture (so the pics aren't dark). This is why a macro lens is helpful (larger aperture). You can use a flash as an alternative, but it has to be off center or you will get a reflection.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High shutter speed, large aperture (so the pics aren't dark). This is why a macro lens is helpful (larger aperture). You can use a flash as an alternative, but it has to be off center or you will get a reflection.

Sounds expensive.... :/ Shows you how much of a photographer I am!

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds expensive.... :/ Shows you how much of a photographer I am!

Im stupid when it comes to cameras too I bought a used dslr for 70 bucks and a decent lens for 200 at a place there in Indy. Probably not far from your house. Just watched some YouTube videos on how to take good pictures, wasn't hard.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im stupid when it comes to cameras too I bought a used dslr for 70 bucks and a decent lens for 200 at a place there in Indy. Probably not far from your house. Just watched some YouTube videos on how to take good pictures, wasn't hard.

Interesting. Maybe some day I'll stop wasting money on fish and coral and invest in a way to better show them off

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Maybe some day I'll stop wasting money on fish and coral and invest in a way to better show them off

u live in fishers never met anyone from there who ever worried about money. Everyone there is loaded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u live in fishers never met anyone from there who ever worried about money. Everyone there is loaded.
Lol people here and in Carmel didn't get here by not worrying about money :D

I'm definitely not loaded

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of boring people ....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back