SHOW OFF THREAD *Unoffical* Mini Complete Tank Contest

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November update as well. I lost 1 unknown mushroom. It melted. I will be adding more corals in the upcoming weeks. I am getting some salt creep on both sides. Still trying to figure out how to get better pictures. image.jpg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November Update. Have not added any coral, my DT is having a slight dinos outbreak so I didn't want to transfer any of that to this tank. Once I get that under control, I'll dip 'em and add them. Today I did a deep clean, here's a before and after, more details (to come) in my build thread.

Attachments

• 20211103_081912.jpg
    20211103_081912.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20211103_112428.jpg
    20211103_112428.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 60

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
REEFERS! The start date for the *Unoffical* MCT contest is upon us! Start your pumps, add your critters, and snap some pics!

This is the (unoffical) official thread for monthly updates and discussions moving forward with the contest. This will be how I keep track of everyone, so don't forget to post here AND your build thread (if you choose to make one).

A re-posting of all rules and requirements:

The agreed on start date has been moved to OCT. 1st
It's a soft start date though, so as long as you get water in it by the 31st, you're in the contest! All future updates on your tank will need to be made by the 5th of each month.

The initial soft start date is to accommodate members that may have shipping delays, so that everyone can participate. I think it's fair to require that everyone has their tanks ordered by the start date, and can prove that the tank was purchased by this date if there is a major shipping delay so that people aren't straggling in randomly. This will make the contest more fair for all participating members.

The gist of the contest:
[ ] Create a unique MCT
[ ] Run time: 12 months
[ ] Start date: Oct. 1, 2021
[ ] End date: Oct. 1, 2022
[ ] Monthly check-ins: by the 5th of each month.

Other general rules:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose (within guidelines)--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, monitoring, ect.
3. Equipment and mods can be made at any time during the contest. Again, this is part of the fun!
4. NO PLUMBING TO LARGER SYSTEMS. Any add-on water volume (refugium, sump, ect. cannot exceed .5 gallons). This is a pico tank contest after all.
5. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY (by the 5th) updates to the communal thread. Contestants may (please do!) also create personal build threads to document their progress. The communal thread will be used to keep track of everyone.
6. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build. All coral and small invertebrates are fair game.
7. No fish.
8. This is a friendly contest; please only offer criticism if it's asked for by other members. We're all here to have fun and see what we can create in such a tiny space
9. Everyone gets one "warning" or "free pass" for a late update. After a second missed update, you'll be disqualified from the final judging. I think this is fair to keep everyone accountable and in the loop! If there's a conflict such as vacation please reach out and we can figure something out. Again, this is for fun, but I also want to make it fair for everyone playing.
Awesome little thread I just came across!

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of town for the past week, so this photo was sent to me for this update. The tank is looking UGLY, so I'll be giving it a redo when I get back home.

Everyone else's tanks are looking great so far! I think I just jumped the gun on adding a few things and need to backtrack.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 62

Moose.Jy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes .... Something.

Modded my return with a bulk head and some acrylic tubing I bent, and am using the old one as the overflow for better turn over. the original overflow is functioning as an emergency back up.

Running a off brand 90gph pump so that water is booking it, and a no name Betta heater that I am already googling replacements for. Using inkbird for temp control.

IMG_20211007_074753912.jpg

IMG_20211007_084151956_HDR~2.jpg

This is the Midnight tank.

Just filled her up this morning.... My scape is really bad but this is my first ever tank so I hope to improve with time.

I'll get some lenses after awhile and get better pictures!

As this is my first tank and I just started it I am currently cycling (light on ONLY for this pic.) Using brightwall for a bottle cycle so I don't fall to far behind in this competition with all of my more experienced reefers.

Will probably watch a bit and do some more research for a month probably to find what CUC would be best for a pico and make sure they are settled before I even think about corals so I won't have to many exciting updates for awhile.

I have a permanent home planned for this tank but we are still working out moving so for now the kitchen counter will do. Lots of plans in store for when I'm more settled; some filter mods, a moded stand, custom light, and a possible ato idea all in the works.

Will make a thread and make it my tag here in a bit <3
November update!
No news lol.
I'm still cycling the new tank and working on the house b4 I can move it to it's permanent home!!!
Hopefully next month will be more exciting lol.
IMG_20211104_173806506.jpg

Charlied

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve been doing some research and want to add some food soppy to my tank for the starfish. I just ordered some oolitic aragonite sand and some coralline algae spores to add to my tank. Funny, I had to order enough for a 50gal tank!!!

Attachments

• 7F7A3B94-E7FB-4230-AFCC-ADB8ADB54CF4.jpeg
    7F7A3B94-E7FB-4230-AFCC-ADB8ADB54CF4.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 38

Charlied

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater check. Heater check. Media from sump check. Rock and shell from tank check. Limpet and teeny tiny baby snail check. Still too chicken to drill the ato but will need to at some point.
May the odds be ever in your favor.
So, I’m curious how your little snail is doing. Do you know what kind it is?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still alive its just a tiny dwarf cerith so nothing fancy. I also thew a tiny hermit crab in there as well a few days ago.

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I’m still waiting on mine. I ordered it from pnw customers. Shipping isn’t scheduled till nov 14. But love everyone’s and can’t wait for mine to be delivered!

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking what I'm seeing y'all

I ended up with two of these dam tanks before I found out I couldn't participate.

Anyone looking at this thread wanna buy a brand new unused MCT or two.

smoothdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of frags of Teal with Purple tips Tort if that works. I'll try to post a pic of the mother colony soon.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got my tank late and couldn’t join the contest in time. That’s not stopping me from setting it up though! Got my little mini-scape done today with some chunks of rock that had been sitting in my sump for a few months. I also used sand & water from that same tank, so I guess it’s a sort of instant cycle? Plenty of pods on the rocks and in the sand too!

Attachments

• 34D03514-9B6E-4D8F-9CEC-DD8E5A1D82B8.jpeg
    34D03514-9B6E-4D8F-9CEC-DD8E5A1D82B8.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 39
  • A5136001-6790-45A6-804F-E3051344CA50.jpeg
    A5136001-6790-45A6-804F-E3051344CA50.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 41

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how you guys deal with salt creep on these. I run a freshwater one and I get salt creep from the freshwater or whatever else is drying out from the water. Mine could just have a bad seal

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back