Show off your EELS!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of your posts over the years and I try to keep it on decent variety of foods. Fresh when I can and frozen when I can't.
Also yes it is a species specific tank its the only fish and I keep it for soft corals to help keep the nutrients in check.
For the mollies would they need enrichment or just chuck them in?

Since it would be the only pred you are feeding live, I'd probably just get a couple/few now and then and just drop them in. Most lfs feed their mollies decently. Since it is a reef I would assume you are keeping reef level ca and mg. These are important elements and eels that are not getting bones and shells could be lacking. Mg is also beneficial in digestion. Over feeding usually in the form of feeding to frequently is also a cause of early demise. Guys I know keeping eels for over a decade also seem to feed less often, like once a week, some even less often.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white-eyed out for feeding today. About how old do these guys reach full size at?
20201108_120245.jpg

Several sources I read say 48", but everyone here seems to be saying 24". Pretty substantial difference. Either way, white eyes are awesome.

DSC_1911.JPG DSC_1909.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several sources I read say 48", but everyone here seems to be saying 24". Pretty substantial difference. Either way, white eyes are awesome.

DSC_1911.JPG DSC_1909.JPG

If it's gymnothorax thyrsoideus they are listed as 24-26" everywhere I've seen. There is a white mouthed moray, Gymnothorax meleagris, that is listed at 48".

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's entirely possible I got the two mixed up somehow, or didn't read the things properly. Went back and double checked, you're right. Not complaining there, the idea of keeping a 4' eel was a little daunting. Cost as much to feed it as the rest of the tank combined.

Strangely enough this fellow has never touched a Molly, and he's been around lots of them, most of which have been small enough to eat. Even tried tong feeding a dead one. Loves crustaceans though, got to find a source for ghost shrimp.

DSC_2082.JPG DSC_2083.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's entirely possible I got the two mixed up somehow, or didn't read the things properly. Went back and double checked, you're right. Not complaining there, the idea of keeping a 4' eel was a little daunting. Cost as much to feed it as the rest of the tank combined.

Strangely enough this fellow has never touched a Molly, and he's been around lots of them, most of which have been small enough to eat. Even tried tong feeding a dead one. Loves crustaceans though, got to find a source for ghost shrimp.

A Gymnothorax would usually enjoy a live fish, have you ever tried a fiddler crab.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought so too, but when I haven't fed him in two days and a little Molly is just hanging out beside his cave.

Haven't tried a fiddler. I haven't even seen one at a store since I started this hobby, just emeralds and decorators. Gave him a Peppermint shrimp from a friend's tank a while back because it was eating his coral though, that was neat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought so too, but when I haven't fed him in two days and a little Molly is just hanging out beside his cave.

Haven't tried a fiddler. I haven't even seen one at a store since I started this hobby, just emeralds and decorators. Gave him a Peppermint shrimp from a friend's tank a while back because it was eating his coral though, that was neat.

Fiddlers would be in the fresh section. If the fish is too small he may just not bother, my rhino passes up the little guys I put in for the lions.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, okay. Never really looked at the freshwater. I'll have to take a look next time I visit.

Have had mollies from 1-2". Bit bigger than the larger pieces of food I give him, but much smaller than the aforementioned Peppermint. Maybe I am overestimating how big of a fish an eel can swallow.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is and it did happen... Now the tank is an eel only tank with 7 eels only...
Word of caution for all thosw who wanna mix fishes and eels

I wish people would be more forthcoming with the results of tanks like this, people set them up because they see a youtube video of a fresh set up tank with immature species. I tell them it's going to end badly and they say "I saw a tank on youtube".

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was researching the white eyed and came across a thread I answered you in, I was wrong, I got the 2 mixed up, not you. The pics in your old post clearly are the white eyes. @Hugh Mann so I'm thinking of starting up an empty 125g and making it an eel tank. What do you think of the white eyed, I've heard they can be social, and was thinking of adding 3.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching the white eyed and came across a thread I answered you in, I was wrong, I got the 2 mixed up, not you. The pics in your old post clearly are the white eyes. @Hugh Mann so I'm thinking of starting up an empty 125g and making it an eel tank. What do you think of the white eyed, I've heard they can be social, and was thinking of adding 3.

I've never kept any other eel besides this one, so I can't really compare it to other eels or anything. I've also heard they are social, seen videos of them in the wild with 3 or 4 jammed into one hole. However I can say I quite like this one. It doesn't bother any of my current fish, nor any of my previous fish, even the Marine Betta which occasionally shares its cave. Leaves my snails and hermit crabs alone. Mostly.
To my knowledge it hasn't made any escape attempts, prefers to spend most of the day in one of two caves. Took to tong feeding immediately, and knows the powerhead shutting off means food. Can be pretty aggressive during feeding, by which I mean will chase down the tongs, and thrashes about when it grabs a piece. Though I'm sure that's pretty typical eel behaviour.
Honestly, I'd get another one for my big build if I could ever find one.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 with just a snowflake eel and i was wondering if I could get another eel. What species would i be looking for or is it just a bad idea

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 with just a snowflake eel and i was wondering if I could get another eel. What species would i be looking for or is it just a bad idea

Give enough den options and you could get away with another small pebble tooth like a skeletor or banded. They'll probably end up in the same den anyway.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back