Show off your EELS!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've just seen some threads on here about Petco and people's less than stellar opinion of them. While others say they've had fish from there for years. But as I've toured most of my local shops I haven't found most of them to appear that much cleaner than Petco, and a few seem worse. There's one in particular that does consistently seem clean and issue free but I've never seen them with an eel in stock.

Here's the current rendition of the QT tank. Replaced the bigger elbows and connectors with some leftover tubing and the eel seems content with it currently. The blue painters tape may not look the best but it peels off easily enough for me to get in there when needed

IMG_4419.JPG
I have one fish from Petco, a bicolor Angel. If they appear healthy and you are going to QT prophylacticly anyway, what's the difference?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a jeweled eel with flukes, and seen eels die without eating likely due to internal parasites. I would start prazipro right away just in case. If you see a head shake, that's likely an indication of flukes. If he won't eat it could be internal parasites. Just an heads up, eels are usually resistant but these are the two most common problems they come in with.
Eels are sometimes tough to read. Yes, head shaking can be a symptom, but eels also shake their head normally to smell. When they shake their head they are pushing water through their nostrils. It took me a while to learn this, I always thought that it was something wrong.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a jeweled eel with flukes, and seen eels die without eating likely due to internal parasites. I would start prazipro right away just in case. If you see a head shake, that's likely an indication of flukes. If he won't eat it could be internal parasites. Just an heads up, eels are usually resistant but these are the two most common problems they come in with.

Thanks. He ate some chopped up seafood today and thanks to @Humblefish med list I already had Prazi on hand so did go ahead and dose the QT and will follow up in a couple days with a water change and a second dose next Sunday. My youngest is very excited for him, he was one of her top wants, my wife is less enthused. Too snake like for her.

Buraccha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my blue ribbon eel that i have since April 2017. Despite his difficulty and mostly dedicated to expert, its one of the most hardest and challenging fish i ever kept(to get a fish used to captivity). As a passionate aquarist on moray eels and one of my dream fish (i mean its so coloful!), i accepted the challenge. I was very aware of the difficulty and the poor survavibility of this eel. He refused to eat about 6 month any food including live mollies and frozen silversides. With patience, research and trying multiple times, the eel finaly accepted the frozen food from Larry's reef services (LRS chunky). Few days later, the eel accepted V2O IQF silversides. And finaly, today, its surprising but i managed to make him eat pellets food for carnivore for the first time.

will upload a feeding video later.

Blue ribbon eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita)2.JPG

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my blue ribbon eel that i have since April 2017. Despite his difficulty and mostly dedicated to expert, its one of the most hardest and challenging fish i ever kept(to get a fish used to captivity). As a passionate aquarist on moray eels and one of my dream fish (i mean its so coloful!), i accepted the challenge. I was very aware of the difficulty and the poor survavibility of this eel. He refused to eat about 6 month any food including live mollies and frozen silversides. With patience, research and trying multiple times, the eel finaly accepted the frozen food from Larry's reef services (LRS chunky). Few days later, the eel accepted V2O IQF silversides. And finaly, today, its surprising but i managed to make him eat pellets food for carnivore for the first time.

will upload a feeding video later.

Blue ribbon eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita)2.JPG
Awesome! Looking forward to the video!!

Buraccha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again
As i promised, here a short clip of my eel after eating a pellet. It was hard to take a video while he was eating the pellet

Holdbar7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171208_215140.jpg
Got my banded moray almost 6 months ago, about 14" now. He's in a mixed reef aquarium and hasn't been aggressive at all to tank mates. Been feeding frozen krill on a stick 3 times a week.

Anyone else have a banded? They don't seem as popular as snowflake or zebra. But seem to be best as far as not getting too big or agressive.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my new Ribbon eel it is about 30” long and beautiful. I had just set up this 125 and moved over my Moorish Idol and Golden angel that developed a taste for corals. Saw this eel at the store and I had to have it. I knew about the difficulty getting them to eat. Fist day it ate a live Rosie from a stick. Security no day he ate a Rosie and small piece of shrimp and day 4 he ate 2 large frozen silversides. My trick was feeding the tank first with selcon and garlic then fed him the Rosie. Now when I feed the tank he smells the food and comes out looking for his own meal. I am now feeding him twice a week and he devours anything I put on the stick from LRS, Shrimp or silversides. I only used the Rosie’s to train him and will not be feeding him live anymore.
77b8531e2aaf012bf1a3f4000ea3e85f.heic
eacdc26b5d4740dcfeb967f1b79d822c.heic
f8c36a6abb18c222ebb96e814bee1781.heic

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my new Ribbon eel it is about 30” long and beautiful. I had just set up this 125 and moved over my Moorish Idol and Golden angel that developed a taste for corals. Saw this eel at the store and I had to have it. I knew about the difficulty getting them to eat. Fist day it ate a live Rosie from a stick. Second day he ate a Rosie and small piece of shrimp and day 4 he ate 2 large frozen silversides. My trick was feeding the tank first with selcon and garlic then fed him the Rosie. Now when I feed the tank he smells the food and comes out looking for his own meal. I am now feeding him twice a week and he devours anything I put on the stick from LRS, Shrimp or silversides. I only used the Rosie’s to train him and will not be feeding him live anymore.
77b8531e2aaf012bf1a3f4000ea3e85f.heic
eacdc26b5d4740dcfeb967f1b79d822c.heic
f8c36a6abb18c222ebb96e814bee1781.heic

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a collection Bob! I used to keep garden eels, they were so fun. I had to give them away when I moved. I didn't really have problems with the regular spotted ones but the orange splendid ones never did as well for me.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how big is your tessy?how long you had it?trying to figure out growth rate...thanks
It's 4 foots now, I got it since baby around 18 inches and its hit 3 foots long around 2 years then slow down a bit, in the video I took last year it was close to 40 inches.
Do you sure you want to keep a Tesselata? It's a beast and WILL EAT ALL TANK MATEs, whatever you see or everyone work together in the wild WILL NOT HAPPEN in our close system home aquarium. :) I lost more than 3 thousand dollars on live stock trying to give it a tank mate :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back