Show off your Tangs

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilty as charged. C. jordani, C. laboutei, C. rhomboidalis, M. geoffroyi, H. melasmopomas, H. biocellatus and H. melanurus. :D
I love wrasses. I've been trying to get my hands on a rhomboid and a feminus, but never easy to find in Canada. The folks from the states scoop them up too quickly on us!

I did get a hold of a super male magma, a healthy yellow tail Tamarin and an equally awesome China wrasse.

As for tangs, I'll have to get some pictures of mine and post them. I have a purple, blond naso, Kole and a Maculiceps :)

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get a quick picture of my two. My foxface snuck in the picture too

20060431-CB13-44F4-9A65-188792989195.jpeg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question for all of the experienced tang lovers. I am setting up a 180g and I would like to add a powder blue in with my C. striganus eventually.
My plan was to add all other planned additions first and then add both tangs at the same time. Does this sound feasible? the bristletooth is king of the 95 currently so I know I could have aggression problems if I am not careful.

Also I have read that powder blues from the Maldives are the best? Is this true?

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right track, the new tank will restart the bristletooth's territory and both tangs should be on an even playing field especially in a 180. Make sure you don't under size your powder blue compared to your bristletooth and buy the chubbiest powder blue u can find. I think you'll have no problems. When I add a fish I use this stuff called reef keeper a day before and for the next 4 days after adding the new guy. I don't believe in the chemical stuff much at all but I did see this stuff work on a purple tang but it's basically some type of immune booster, reef safe, and your skimmer takes it out. When I got this little purple tang it got ick about 3 days into being in my tank, he ate great and didn't really scratch much. In the mornings he had a few spots but by the afternoon he was covered pretty well. This lasted for two weeks until I went into a LFS which had a purple tang in their display and I started talking about my tang. He told me to try reef keeper and I told him none of that stuff works, no thanks. H said," buy it,if it doesn't work bring the empty bottle back and I'll give you your money back." I still almost didn't do it but I did. I got home, my purple had some spots so I dosed strait into the tank and left. I came home 6 hours later and this fish was clear, I know BS but I swear! Maybe it was pure luck but I went to the shop I got the purple from and told him. He has been carrying it for over a year and sells it of the shelfs. I think if the fish is strong but has ick like my tang the Reef Keeper might just help but I don't think it's an Ick killer. So I use it as a booster when needed. Sorry to ramble but just sharing my experience, if anyone uses the stuff especially having tangs let me know.

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way the powder blue can handle his own so you should be fine!!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question. What size qt tank would you use on say a 3-4" powder blue? I have a 29 g, but would that be a little small? I have always purchased smaller fish, but that may not be possible with this fish. How do they do with a copper treatment? Thanks and I apologize for getting off topic.

CJRIZZOTTI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question. What size qt tank would you use on say a 3-4" powder blue? I have a 29 g, but would that be a little small? I have always purchased smaller fish, but that may not be possible with this fish. How do they do with a copper treatment? Thanks and I apologize for getting off topic.
For the few weeks he'd be in there should be fine I would just keep him alone

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way the powder blue can handle his own so you should be fine!!
Agree, perhaps the most aggressive tang there, if for no other reason thsn grudges are permanent!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 40b as my smallest for tangs. Most of my at are 55 gal

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back