Show off your Tangs

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my pride and joy my 5” Achilles, 5” Blue, 3” Yellow and 4” Purple. My Mimic was a no show for our family picture.
b63933d2670a96624c62798d1980ec0c.jpg
26c875ba291cabe5e6af7e53640186e3.heic
938effd24250de3202fb76d378f371b6.jpg
Gorgeous tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can anyone not like tangs!!!!! :D

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would putting 3 tangs in a 100 gallon be too much?

would I be able to keep 3 tangs if introduced together? Here is my list to choose from:

Flame Fin (Tomini) Tang
yellow tang
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
Bristletooth Tomini Tang
purple tang

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any of you experienced tang keepers confirm the id of my tang from post #749?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

would I be able to keep 3 tangs if introduced together? Here is my list to choose from:

Flame Fin (Tomini) Tang
yellow tang
Bristletooth Tomini Tang
purple tang

Well, two of those are the same fish . . . The flame fin Tomini tang is a bristletooth tang. They do tend to be all little mellower (if only a little) and a little smaller than some of the other tangs. You've got only two genera of tangs, which could lead to trouble: Ctenochaetus, the bristletooth tangs (Tomini, two-spot) and Zebrasoma, the sailfin tangs (yellow, purple). If you have to try it, I might go for the yellow and two from the bristletooth group. (Have you thought about a kole tang, from the same genus?)

~Bruce

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my C. striganus ? I think, but am not 100 % sure. I have had this tang for 4 years.

_EMA6819.JPG

Can any of you experienced tang keepers confirm the id of my tang from post #749?

Well ... this guy's not one of the more common Ctenochaetus - it doesn't look like C. strigosus, the kole, or C. striatus, the orange-striped ... but it does look like it might be Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus, the blue-lipped bristletooth. Cool little guy! @eatbreakfast or @4FordFamily, any thoughts?

~Bruce

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ... this guy's not one of the more common Ctenochaetus - it doesn't look like C. strigosus, the kole, or C. striatus, the orange-striped ... but it does look like it might be Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus, the blue-lipped bristletooth. Cool little guy! @eatbreakfast or @4FordFamily, any thoughts?

~Bruce

Thank you Bruce. I knew I had that wrong. I had researched this way back when I bought the tang and never wrote down the species name. The photos of C. cyanocheilus I just looked at on Google definitely look like mine. I need to go back and edit my posts.

I knew this tang was special when I saw it mislabeled as a an Atlantic blue tang in the LFS ...

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sid, my Zebrasoma scopas - very underrated fish in my opinion, and stunning when you get up close, a poor mans Gem if you will.

Sid the Scopas by Andy, on Flickr

Very nice fish!! I used to have one back when I had a bigger tank. I completely agree, underrated beauties!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
C. cyanocheilus is my suspicion!

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flame Fin (Tomini) Tang
yellow tang
Bristletooth Tomini Tang
purple tang

IMHO, yes, that would be too much for a 100g. I own a yellow tang, purple tang, kole tang, naso tang, hippo tang and a maculiceps (I have a very big system). I'd say absolutely do no put a purple tang in a 100g. Mine grew VERY quickly and he really zips around the aquarium, so he needs space. Even when I had to put him in a 75g while I added extra fish, he moped in the corner. He was very unhappy. They are also quite aggressive, and my guess would be that the smaller the tank, the more aggressive they would become!

I've had a Kole tang in a similar sized tank and he was fine. An added bonus is that he is a very proficient algae eater! A yellow tang is a very slow grower, so you could likely have a yellow tang for quite some time in a 100g without issue. Keep in mind that eventually a yellow tang will likely outgrow your system.

Tomini tangs also stay fairly small in comparison, so it's another option for you.

It would be best if you could get them fairly small and introduce them at the same time - especially if you decide on multiples of the same species or tangs in the same family.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back