Show us your giganteas!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I disagree with here is that IME haddonis have a much lower survival rate than gigs. :(
That's interesting because it's COMPLETELY the opposite here in the US. Gigs have a terrible rate of survival, while haddoni have much higher rate. Some don't even need treatment. I'm assuming that since gigs are local for you, they don't spend as much time in the supply chain, where the pathogen runs rampant.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said I think there’s plenty of hobbyist that would pay a premium for healthy, treated Gigs. Just like we pay a premium for healthy, aquaculture corals, free of pests.
I agree. I sold a purple gig for what I considered to be a hefty sum. He paid up front and I ended up holding it until he was able to pick it up in person, which ended up being a few months after I received initial payment.

Healthy gigs should do just fine being shipped. The pathogen doesn't appear out of thin air. It's definitely something that attacks the anemone during the shipping process, but it must be infected prior. But, just like aquacultured corals entering someone's tank that already has a pathogen, such as red bugs, they're going to attack the corals that were once pest-free. Until we know what causes the infection, there's no 100% guarantee a gig won't get infected.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , and no..I saw all in person..A few were noticeably infected, others looked amazing.. But as you point out - If they are all in the same system the chances are there for infection to be spread to all..Thats why I show up in person - try to pick one that shows no signs of infection, and no matter what - take home and treat .. The conditions at the vendor being discussed are EXCELLENT ..natural sunlight in greenhouse conditions, good flow , large system..and the vendor FEEDS each anemone on a regular basis..You wont see a better place to buy an anemone..
I have no doubt that the vendor we're talking about is providing the best possible environment for the gigs, aside from what's most important--isolating individual specimens until they are free of the pathogen. They become just another vendor that has gigs in stock. And as with all vendors, the sooner you acquire the specimen the better.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because it's COMPLETELY the opposite here in the US. Gigs have a terrible rate of survival, while haddoni have much higher rate. Some don't even need treatment. I'm assuming that since gigs are local for you, they don't spend as much time in the supply chain, where the pathogen runs rampant.
I wonder why that is, seeing as they’re all from Indonesia over there? And I wonder why Haddonis do so badly coming here, as it’s closer to Indonesia here than the US.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pathogen doesn't appear out of thin air. It's definitely something that attacks the anemone during the shipping process, but it must be infected prior
Not sure about this one.. It may have the pathogen in check because of good conditions , immune response ,etc...then when stressed during shipping -it succumbs to the pathogen ..
I have one tank in my home with several gigs .. one or 2 got the pathogen..and recovered -in tank- with NO treatment ...the others never got infected.. in summary : we don't know enough yet about what /how they are infected ..

same observation at the vendor in question..early in their introduction into the vendors system-some inflate/deflate , gaping mouth ,etc..after being there a few weeks.. they improve significantly or heal completely ... how can we explain this ? IDK..

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same observation at the vendor in question..early in their introduction into the vendors system-some inflate/deflate , gaping mouth ,etc..after being there a few weeks.. they improve significantly or heal completely ... how can we explain this ? IDK..
Well unless the vendor did in fact ship an already visually sick nem, I don’t think they are healing completely as we know from the posts here. Not throwing shade at your LFS either, I have absolutely nothing against them. Just pointing out there’s better tactics when selling/shipping Gigs, and it shows. The money they lost on refunding a sick nem is probably more than what it would’ve cost to treat and ship a healthy specimen, and create better reputation for selling healthy nems.

It has been my experience and other can chime in on theirs. That once treated and healthy a gig should not ever become infected again, unless it’s reintroduced to that pathogen. My Giganteas were bought as treated specimens, never needed QTing from myself. I put them through all kinds of stress moving on multiple occasions, spending days at a time in 5gallon buckets with air stone and small wave pump. Never once did they show signs of deterioration. So I firmly believe a healthy Gig will remain healthy, and the only way for infection to reoccur would be to introduce a sick nem to the system with it.

Henk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I disagree with here is that IME haddonis have a much lower survival rate than gigs. :(
I also have wondered about this. I set up my first marine tank when I was living in Beijing, China, in 2009, and I had very limited experience. I bought a green gigantea for around 40USD, no any treatment done, and the anemone remained alive, until I sold it when I had to move house again in 2010 or 2011. Looking now at the few photos I have of this tank, I see it was probably stretching for light, but never had any issues with bacterial infection. At the time there were plenty of these anemones available in beijing. They usually were all looking quite good in the shops. The blue and green ones went for about the same price. I guess they were sourced somewhere on the southern shores or not too far away, maybe Vietnam, and arrived in ok condition? Cant remember having seen any haddoni at that time in Beijing. Just remember the very tiny shops with tiny aquariums , some of them filled to the brim with several green and blue gigs. However gramma Loreto you could not find there at that time … I remember having searched a long time never found a gramma Loreto. I wanted a gig again in my aquarium when I restarted in 2019, but was quite worried reading about all the problems people were having with new gigs. This did not match my previous experience in China.

EB96335F-8D83-4694-893E-783F89E7BE04.jpeg

4F3CC2ED-D535-4C33-9E54-1369CD070DA0.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about this one.. It may have the pathogen in check because of good conditions , immune response ,etc...then when stressed during shipping -it succumbs to the pathogen ..
I have one tank in my home with several gigs .. one or 2 got the pathogen..and recovered -in tank- with NO treatment ...the others never got infected.. in summary : we don't know enough yet about what /how they are infected ..

It's really not just a shipping issue, like I said previously, it's a supply chain issue. Some gigs spend days, possibly weeks, in sub-optimal conditions. If we equate the pathogen to something similar to marine ich, healthy fish have the ability to fight it off. But those left in sub-optimal conditions, oftentimes with other sick fish, will often succumb and die. More delicate species, like some tangs, are more susceptible to ich. This is probably the same scenario with gigantea. They are simply more prone to infection.

Again, I don't think the pathogen is something that is living in all of our tanks. It's something that is caught during the supply chain. It can also explain why those gigs that are direct shipped from the exporter often do better than those that go through wholesalers. Furthermore, it could explain why gigs are healthier in Japan and China--my guess is that they're either coming from local waters (Okinawa) or close proximity (Vietnam).

Regarding the vendor, I find it hard to believe that any gig that was severely infected (full deflation, lose mouth, etc.) was able to fully recover without any antibiotics, let alone with other sick gigs (we know that the pathogen has the ability to quickly spread). I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that the survival rate is low. Prior to the treatment protocol, there were probably only a handful of hobbyists in the US that had gigs in their aquariums. If you have a relationship with the vendor and are able to inquire, I'd be curious to know how they'd respond when asked 1) are they adding antibiotics to their anemone holding tanks? 2) how many gigs were in the last shipment? how many arrived DOA? how many arrived sick? and how many arrived in good shape? 3) with all of them in various conditions, was their health individually monitored so they could see which recovered and which died? I'm going to assume that the answer to the last question is that they simply don't have the resources or time to do that. Probably doesn't make financial sense. It's better to get them sold as quickly as possible.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have wondered about this. I set up my first marine tank when I was living in Beijing, China, in 2009, and I had very limited experience. I bought a green gigantea for around 40USD, no any treatment done, and the anemone remained alive, until I sold it when I had to move house again in 2010 or 2011. Looking now at the few photos I have of this tank, I see it was probably stretching for light, but never had any issues with bacterial infection. At the time there were plenty of these anemones available in beijing. They usually were all looking quite good in the shops. The blue and green ones went for about the same price. I guess they were sourced somewhere on the southern shores or not too far away, maybe Vietnam, and arrived in ok condition? Cant remember having seen any haddoni at that time in Beijing. Just remember the very tiny shops with tiny aquariums , some of them filled to the brim with several green and blue gigs. However gramma Loreto you could not find there at that time … I remember having searched a long time never found a gramma Loreto. I wanted a gig again in my aquarium when I restarted in 2019, but was quite worried reading about all the problems people were having with new gigs. This did not match my previous experience in China.
I think your assumption is correct--the gigs didn't come from very far away.

Regarding the bacterial infection, healthy gigs don't get sick, unless a sick one is introduced into the tank. So, in your case, I wouldn't expect it to get sick. Mine never do.

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When lights are off, it looks terrible. It’s been a week of cipro and I don’t think it looks any better. Is there something else I should be doing? Increase cipro dose?

A1D4D213-75CC-4811-B8FD-A52C3606C058.jpeg

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe that any gig that was severely infected (full deflation, lose mouth, etc.
None were ..very few had open mouth with some tiny bit of spew.. all had nice color ..The one above looked excellent in the vendor's facility , had a tighter looking mouth than the one I chose ..I chose the one I did ,even with a slightly gaping mouth -because it had very intense color....

At this vendor ,Since I go there weekly sometimes..I've seen mags in the same system that look bad when they first come in ..and with a couple weeks of that intense sunlight , and good flow - they straighten right out..
I bought a couple in may..but regardless of how they may have come around in the facility - I treat regardless.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None were ..very few had open mouth with some tiny bit of spew.. all had nice color ..The one above looked excellent in the vendor's facility , had a tighter looking mouth than the one I chose ..I chose the one I did ,even with a slightly gaping mouth -because it had very intense color....

At this vendor ,Since I go there weekly sometimes..I've seen mags in the same system that look bad when they first come in ..and with a couple weeks of that intense sunlight , and good flow - they straighten right out..
I bought a couple in may..but regardless of how they may have come around in the facility - I treat regardless.

Regarding color, it's sometimes better to chose a specimen that looks better in terms of stature (that it's able to "stand" on its foot) has a tight mouth, and that is fully expanded. Bleached gigs--when in decent condition--have a higher rate of survival than those with better color but are gaping or have other ailments. Many of us who treat gigs with Cipro have reported bleaching as a result of treatment, and I think this has to do with the declining zoox population--as infected zoox dies, and is expelled as brown fecal pellets, the anemone bleaches.

IME mags ship better than gigs, not much better, but some don't require treatment and pull through, while virtually all gigs require treatment.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s too high or too direct, the foot starts to lift off the glass
Dont mean to discourage you , but the last treatment failure I had wound up like that ..Foot could no longer hold , he was constantly flipping upside down even with mild current..After a few days -he wound up in my garden..

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont mean to discourage you , but the last treatment failure I had wound up like that ..Foot could no longer hold , he was constantly flipping upside down even with mild current..After a few days -he wound up in my garden..
The gig never had a good hold, it always would lift up.

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gig never had a good hold, it always would lift up.
It's coming up to 2 weeks since I've had the gig and its been in cipro treatment the entire time. The nem has not shown any signs of improvement and because the water gets cloudy halfway through the day, I've started doing 2 water changes a day. It continues to release beige/white chunks and the foot is having a worse hold.

Any suggestions as what else can be done?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than a second abx like amoxicillin or septra.. thats all I have ..Plus I would use a larger QT in the future .

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... since this thread is -show us your gigantes ..I'll post a video of the last 3 I picked up at the same vendor Krak got his from (2 were in the same anemone basket as Krak's) .. All 3 got cipro/amoxicillin for 10 days.. they ate well last sat , and the big green? yellow? whatever it is has 2 mouths ...

Attachments

• 10000000_6745142688869919_1182640880569893543_n(1).mp4
    8.2 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back