Show us your giganteas!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming up to 2 weeks since I've had the gig and its been in cipro treatment the entire time. The nem has not shown any signs of improvement and because the water gets cloudy halfway through the day, I've started doing 2 water changes a day. It continues to release beige/white chunks and the foot is having a worse hold.

Any suggestions as what else can be done?
I find it strange that after two weeks of treatment, it's not showing signs of improvement. Typically after a week, the anemone is either on the mend or dead/dying.

The beige/white chunks are either mesenterial filaments or necrotic tissue sloughing off of the body. In either case, this typically means the anemone will die in a few days. Since you haven't fed it, it can't be waste/poop and dead zoox is brown.

Are you able to post a video so we can see what it looks like, and how it's handling the flow you're giving it?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... since this thread is -show us your gigantes ..I'll post a video of the last 3 I picked up at the same vendor Krak got his from (2 were in the same anemone basket as Krak's) .. All 3 got cipro/amoxicillin for 10 days.. they ate well last sat , and the big green? yellow? whatever it is has 2 mouths ...

Big yellow (soon to be green) is a beaut!

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... since this thread is -show us your gigantes ..I'll post a video of the last 3 I picked up at the same vendor Krak got his from (2 were in the same anemone basket as Krak's) .. All 3 got cipro/amoxicillin for 10 days.. they ate well last sat , and the big green? yellow? whatever it is has 2 mouths ...
Two mouths!!!! On the green one on the left in that video? Is that common?

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a new addition from PEA, a lilliputian among giants! Supposed to be cream colored and 5” (hoping it turns into a multicolor), but not quite sure this is the same nem I saw in the photo onsite, only time will tell!

IMG_1839.jpeg

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it strange that after two weeks of treatment, it's not showing signs of improvement. Typically after a week, the anemone is either on the mend or dead/dying.

The beige/white chunks are either mesenterial filaments or necrotic tissue sloughing off of the body. In either case, this typically means the anemone will die in a few days. Since you haven't fed it, it can't be waste/poop and dead zoox is brown.

Are you able to post a video so we can see what it looks like, and how it's handling the flow you're giving it?
Here is a video. It finally reattached to the glass. Video doesn’t show mouth but gapes from time to time.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video. It finally reattached to the glass. Video doesn’t show mouth but gapes from time to time.

I can't see the video!

It attaching after two weeks is a good sign. This one is really baffling to me--it's holding on a lot longer than I was expecting.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the video!

It attaching after two weeks is a good sign. This one is really baffling to me--it's holding on a lot longer than I was expecting.
I agree..I'd seriuosly consider adding amoxicillin at this point..cipro may need some help..

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a new addition from PEA, a lilliputian among giants! Supposed to be cream colored and 5” (hoping it turns into a multicolor), but not quite sure this is the same nem I saw in the photo onsite, only time will tell!
IME from PEA , that one will either be brown or tan one day ..even a "green tip" will wind up brown with a slight green hue or very tan ... I try not to go crazy with color(just my recent yellow/green) , When healthy -they are all gorgeous , IMO

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my nems with the group. Forgive my photography abilities (or lack there of) I'm using my phones camera lol. But in my DT which I'm slowly converting to nems and maybe a few torches. My blue gig (10") my mag (8") and my rainbow haddoni (10"). I've had the carpets for a year+, the mag I got from PEA about a month ago. Color is somewhat close to true, I run heavy blue in my tanks.

Attachments

• 20230817_145038.jpg
    20230817_145038.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230817_145054.jpg
    20230817_145054.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230817_145058.jpg
    20230817_145058.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 62

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course my newest member I just got today. A BRIGHT, yellow gig (maybe hybrid) . I'm sure it's colors will change more to green as it acclimates to my tanks and lighting. But it is very intense yellow. It came in very healthy, sticky, where it'll be in qt for the next 10 days. I want to say thank you to Jessica @Pieces of the Ocean for the great find, shipping, and help. They really did a great job on helping me acquire this nem.

Attachments

• 20230817_145109.jpg
    20230817_145109.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230817_145208.jpg
    20230817_145208.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 55

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another post but wanted to get everyone's opinion of they think my new nem could be a hybrid. I know most gigs have a blue foot and spotted verrucae but this one is strictly brown column with tan spots. I still think it's a gig but was curious what others thought?

Attachments

• 20230817_132941.jpg
    20230817_132941.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 52

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another post but wanted to get everyone's opinion of they think my new nem could be a hybrid. I know most gigs have a blue foot and spotted verrucae but this one is strictly brown column with tan spots. I still think it's a gig but was curious what others thought?
Can you get a better shot of the underside?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any you boys want to sell me a gigantea
Hold on, you are suppose to be the one to get us the gigs lol. You had a great system in place that distributed high quality, healthy gigs. I hope you start back up soon, cause it's been hell trying to find what you use to produce.

I can try and get another under shot but it's in qt and perched tightly to it's rock.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on, you are suppose to be the one to get us the gigs lol. You had a great system in place that distributed high quality, healthy gigs. I hope you start back up soon, cause it's been hell trying to find what you use to produce.

I can try and get another under shot but it's in qt and perched tightly to it's rock.
LOL! i know, I'm right there with you guys!!

Working on something right now tho. May workout, not sure.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my nems with the group. Forgive my photography abilities (or lack there of) I'm using my phones camera lol. But in my DT which I'm slowly converting to nems and maybe a few torches. My blue gig (10") my mag (8") and my rainbow haddoni (10"). I've had the carpets for a year+, the mag I got from PEA about a month ago. Color is somewhat close to true, I run heavy blue in my tanks.
I’m jealous of that big blue one! The jealousy is real right now!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back