0   0   0
Just made a lid for it last night
IMG_5537.JPG

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to make your lid. Want to DIY as some businesses charge so much for a custom lid.

Hey buddy, so I went to Home Depot and bought a pair of 5/16 screen frame. They had it in white ( which you can paint ) but I saw it in dark bronze and liked it so I got those. You won’t need 2 of them , but I bought just in case my cuts were off. Also bought a pack of spline that matches the frame. The spline I used was
.160” diameter.

I ordered 4 of these corners. They are over layed ( flanged ) so the corners sit right on top of the tank so you don’t need any clips to hold the lid on top of your tank. No one locally had this type of corners so I ordered from these guys

https://www.swisco.com/Overlap-Scre...-Keys-for-5_16-inch-Thick-Screen-Frame/95-221

The last thing I used was the fabric. I went to a fabric store and bought so black ( Tulle ) fabric. It’s not the strongest , but I should hold up well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video I used to help show how it was done. Only differences is that I chose the dark bronze stuff ( which I didn’t need to paint anything ) and the dark bronze actually looks really really nice.

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my tank last Thursday, first attempt of a reef tank, waiting on hydor aqamai pump to come in the mail. Bought the ps2 skimmer but seems to be creating a boatload of microbubbles, hopefully that clears up after a few weeks of running

unnamed.jpg

unnamed4.jpg

Last edited:

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy, so I went to Home Depot and bought a pair of 5/16 screen frame. They had it in white ( which you can paint ) but I saw it in dark bronze and liked it so I got those. You won’t need 2 of them , but I bought just in case my cuts were off. Also bought a pack of spline that matches the frame. The spline I used was
.160” diameter.

I ordered 4 of these corners. They are over layed ( flanged ) so the corners sit right on top of the tank so you don’t need any clips to hold the lid on top of your tank. No one locally had this type of corners so I ordered from these guys

https://www.swisco.com/Overlap-Scre...-Keys-for-5_16-inch-Thick-Screen-Frame/95-221

The last thing I used was the fabric. I went to a fabric store and bought so black ( Tulle ) fabric. It’s not the strongest , but I should hold up well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Gah!! I wish I saw this post a few days ago! Just made a screen top as well but using the corners from home depot vs those overlay ends you have from swissco.

Tempted to remake my entire setup now

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note... upgraded my light to an Aqamai LRM. Posted a review in lights section if there is interest

20180102_011155.jpg

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah!! I wish I saw this post a few days ago! Just made a screen top as well but using the corners from home depot vs those overlay ends you have from swissco.

Tempted to remake my entire setup now

I couldn’t find those overlay corners anywhere and was about to give up and get clips , but I finally found the Swissco ones. I’m very happy I did find them because it really does sit well. Just make a new cover using the over lays and keep your current setup as a back up I guess.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reworked my Fluval 13.5 scape... upgraded the light to an Aqamai LRM after stock light corroded, and replaced pump with Hydor pico 300 after it failed..

In tank, pod hotel/refugium filled with chaeto.

(Before anyone gives me grief on fish stock, this will be temporary until my 200G gets setup :) )

20180116_101716.jpg

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reworked my Fluval 13.5 scape... upgraded the light to an Aqamai LRM after stock light corroded, and replaced pump with Hydor pico 300 after it failed..

In tank, pod hotel/refugium filled with chaeto.

(Before anyone gives me grief on fish stock, this will be temporary until my 200G gets setup :) )

20180116_101716.jpg
I have this tank whats pods/hotel?

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First ever post on R2R. Here's 10 mo. Old EVO. Recently rescaped and decided to go a different route with a more SPS heavy tank. Here's a few shots of the tank and close ups of a few inhabitants.

QKAy1Oh.jpg

l9I3bKD.jpg

Myagi Tort, RFA, Forest Fire Digi
q93qzTU.jpg

Sapphire Mille
UW0nSPu.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake (lookin' a little pale these days :(), Hammer x Frogspawn down below
SL9n7y6.jpg

Rainbow Acan Lord
SA8GmL7.jpg

Orange/hot pink and steel blue ricordea, Blue Rimmed Acan
C2uMhHX.jpg

Crimson Micromussa screaming "feed me" a meteor shower cyphastrea photobomb
i7qiYpY.jpg

Two fuzzy unnamed mille frags. Tough to tell the colors in these photos but frag 1 has green flesh with purple/red polyps and frag 2 looks a bit like a sunset with greenish gold flesh and green polyps.

Frag 1
eGMnxmH.jpg

Frag 2
sY79tw8.jpg

Aussie highlighter acro
G7SA4oN.jpg

My apologies for oversharing. Hah.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back