Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just scaped mine just sand and water to go. I will be running this on NSW with all stock equipment. With all of you that are running these tanks, are the standard return pumps that bad? I was possibly just gonna run it as a euphyllia only with maybe some zoas in between them. Would there be enough flow for those or just add a power head or would a pump upgrade be enough?
DSC_0621.JPG

For what you're looking to do, I'd maybe think about going to a Sicce 0.5 or 1.0, with a random flow generator as posted above by BoBo. I have a SPS tank, so I have two powerheads and a Sicce 1.0, and my softies aren't too happy most of the time [zoas, hammer] due to the high flow. Then again, I probably have somewhere close to 800-1200 GPH in my tank depending on where in the Apex cycle the pumps are.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what you're looking to do, I'd maybe think about going to a Sicce 0.5 or 1.0, with a random flow generator as posted above by BoBo. I have a SPS tank, so I have two powerheads and a Sicce 1.0, and my softies aren't too happy most of the time [zoas, hammer] due to the high flow. Then again, I probably have somewhere close to 800-1200 GPH in my tank depending on where in the Apex cycle the pumps are.
Thanks for that I do have a spare jaebo rw4 which is 4000lph at max I have one of these in my main tank running half power as I have a mixed Reef so the sps like it, but if I run higher my euphyllia sulk, I did kill my 10year old wall hammer with too much flow.
I also have a spare koralia 1 and a nano so I do have a lot of choice for flow internally, so is the standard pump ok just for filtration then?
I have made a removable shelf to hold filter floss in the overflow end and block the top 4or 5 slots so water goes through the floss, I've binned the foam to run biohome media or live rock rubble in compartment 2 with the heater and I've taken the foam padding out of the original return pump as that just seems pointless and would become a pita to have to clean.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that I do have a spare jaebo rw4 which is 4000lph at max I have one of these in my main tank running half power as I have a mixed Reef so the sps like it, but if I run higher my euphyllia sulk, I did kill my 10year old wall hammer with too much flow.
I also have a spare koralia 1 and a nano so I do have a lot of choice for flow internally, so is the standard pump ok just for filtration then?
I have made a removable shelf to hold filter floss in the overflow end and block the top 4or 5 slots so water goes through the floss, I've binned the foam to run biohome media or live rock rubble in compartment 2 with the heater and I've taken the foam padding out of the original return pump as that just seems pointless and would become a pita to have to clean.

The stock pump + your Koralia will likely be fine. I saw a big difference in upgrading my return pump but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the stock pump. My Sicce runs absolutely silent [even with my ear next to the sump section], and the stock had a very faint hum.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2/3rds of the height underneath. It's only blocked the top 4 slots I just want the water to go through the floss then through to chamber 2. From what I'd read, because of the slots the water just goes sideways so the filter doesn't seem very efficient that way.
Then intank came up with their filters at what I think is a high price to fix something that should have been designed to be in the tank from the start and not concentrate on a skimmer that's not need really on this size tank as the standard lighting isn't really up to top end sps so a little dirty water won't hurt. What do I know it's just a hobby for me. Plus a little tinkering with the tank just keeps the hobby alive.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock pump + your Koralia will likely be fine. I saw a big difference in upgrading my return pump but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the stock pump. My Sicce runs absolutely silent [even with my ear next to the sump section], and the stock had a very faint hum.
It is in my bedroom so if the stock one is noisy I'm sure the wife would make more noise to tell me about it. I'll find out soon when I fill it with water. I just have rock and now sand in it.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that have the inTank media basket in chamber 1 - Do you have to fill the tank almost filled to the top to get the chambers to have enough water in them? I do, and its ******' me off. :)

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that have the inTank media basket in chamber 1 - Do you have to fill the tank almost filled to the top to get the chambers to have enough water in them? I do, and its ******' me off. :)
I don't have the intank filter just my home made filter floss holder blocking the top 4 slots and my tank is filled about 1/4 the way up the etched part. What do you have in the filter?

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the intank filter just my home made filter floss holder blocking the top 4 slots and my tank is filled about 1/4 the way up the etched part. What do you have in the filter?

Chamber 1 - inTank media basket - top section is filter floss, middle is chempure blue nano x2, bottom is fluval ceramic rings and MarinePure balls.
Chamber 2 is filled with more MarinePure balls.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot of media to go through the pump will struggle a bit especially if that floss gets any build up in it the pump will empty the chambers in the rear if there is a slight blockage. There should only be a little floss in chamber 1 and change it very regularly. You can check if this is the issue by removing some of the media (temporarly) and see if it levels up. I found with my other tank that if I fill the top of the tray with floss then it restricts flow and my ato kept coming on so I only put floss in half of the tray and any excess water will bypass that and get caught in the layer below so I've staggered the floss so it doesn't drain the back or restrict flow. I don't think floss should strip all the particles out anyway.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot of media to go through the pump will struggle a bit especially if that floss gets any build up in it the pump will empty the chambers in the rear if there is a slight blockage. There should only be a little floss in chamber 1 and change it very regularly. You can check if this is the issue by removing some of the media (temporarly) and see if it levels up. I found with my other tank that if I fill the top of the tray with floss then it restricts flow and my ato kept coming on so I only put floss in half of the tray and any excess water will bypass that and get caught in the layer below so I've staggered the floss so it doesn't drain the back or restrict flow. I don't think floss should strip all the particles out anyway.

OK. I'll give that try. I've been using two layers of filter floss at the top of the media basket in chamber 1. I'll try only using one. Thanks!

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run a ATO on their Fluval evo?

I am looking to add one to my system now. Just wanted to see what everyone recommended.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back