show your fluval evo 13.5

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoBoBREWSKI How do you like the Fiji pink substrate? That's what I was thinking of using. Also are those blue or green chromis? How do they handle the smaller tank? Was thinking about getting some of those also.

Hi. The sand came with the aquarium via the package from Biota. I like it, no complaints. But this is my first saltwater tank, so I dont have experience with anything else.
https://biotaaquariums.com/product/live-sand/

Yes, they are Blue/Green Chromis. I'm happy with them. They are doing great, get along fine, not aggressive towards each other. I like how active they are. I'm thinking of getting ride of 2 of them (keep 1) and getting something different so I can have more variety. I got them as a recommendation from my LFS (CuttleFish & Corals). I had a battle with ich that killed my other fish (went fishless for a few months to hopefully clear it out) and they said the Blue/Green Chromis are hardy and a good fish to put in to kinda test your tank again since they are so inexpensive. They've been fine for several months, so hopefully the ich is gone.

Last edited:

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience and a few others, blue green chromis seldom happy coexist in small reef tanks. I started out with three in a 65 gallon. They coexisted for a year (not happily, they were fighting with each other), then one got bullied to death, leaving 2, then the other one met with a similar fate. Note that this wasn’t because of lack of food - I liberally feed my tank 3 times a day. A friend and neighbor had a similar situation in a larger tank (70?). He started with a school and eventually one was left.

So I think you can keep a single chromis in the evo, but I highly doubt that you can keep a few in 13 gallon tank. They will coexist for a but will eventually starting fighting for dominance and food till one survives

sm32589g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is a maturity thing like with clowns. They are all damsel families after all. I was thinking of only putting 2 but 1 would be fine too in order to add some color.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1046.JPG
I need to get one of those media baskets! Looks like a life savior lol. Here is my tank

IMG_1031.JPG

I am just getting ready to start my EVO and I'm planning to upgrade to an AI Prime in light of my future plans. I see that you have no lid on the tank, do you ever worry about that factor? That would be my one concern with changing out the top. I'm trying to find a top that would fit this tank if anyone knows of one...

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting ready to start my EVO and I'm planning to upgrade to an AI Prime in light of my future plans. I see that you have no lid on the tank, do you ever worry about that factor? That would be my one concern with changing out the top. I'm trying to find a top that would fit this tank if anyone knows of one...
Building a DIY for this tank is very easy using materials from BRS or home depot/ Lowe's. Might cost around $25 and take a half hour. Do a search on the forums and you'll find plenty of examples. My suggestion would be to use Tulle from jo an fabrics (very cheap, works great)

KeithsReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Took a few tries to get the light i felt would be best and priced on the lower end side. Before that i was using, 2x Nano Asta 20 Marine, which worked out well but still didn't have the output and features then 2x Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Lights which were great but again the controls as well as output compared to what i ended up the the AI Prime HD. Seems all my corals doing well and love the programming on the app :)

You might have more fun viewing the tank if you turn the stand and make the tank "stick out" from the corner - aesthetic will change, but I know that using my tank as a "peninsula" I have a completely different view from one side to the other and it's always fun when things can't "hide" on the "wrong side" of the tank

KeithsReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have more fun viewing the tank if you turn the stand and make the tank "stick out" from the corner - aesthetic will change, but I know that using my tank as a "peninsula" I have a completely different view from one side to the other and it's always fun when things can't "hide" on the "wrong side" of the tank

Your probably right but my wife is already like so, so on the spot it is in hehehe. I have another spot down in my basement for a new larger tank so i dont want to mess that up now.... LOL

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably right but my wife is already like so, so on the spot it is in hehehe. I have another spot down in my basement for a new larger tank so i dont want to mess that up now.... LOL

I definitely get that! We put ours next to the couch, so it worked out that you can see it from the couch side, and the room side

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd share the Fluval Evo love

There are some really intimidating tanks on show here!

My little offering has been running since maybe end March, beginning of April? I'm using the stock lights and a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 pump (I found the Tunze Nanostream too powerful) and I'm running the InTank basket in chamber 1 with floss and then a bag of GAC and a bag of PhosGuard, chaeto with a stick on LED, some live rock rubble and the stock rings in chamber 2 and an Aquael nano heater in chamber 3 with the stock return pump. I went with pukani rock and the curing/cycling process before I added it to the tank with the sand (some oolite thing, I think?)

CUC includes 2 nassarius snails, 1 trochus (who keeps disappearing to live in Chamber 2 so, do I even count him? the jerk) and 3 red legged hermits along with a skunk cleaner shrimp

Current livestock is a yellow coral goby and a firefish who are doing well. Future plans include a barnacle blenny (I had one before my previous yellow coral goby introduced ich to the tank and wiped everyone out) and some kind of shrimp goby with a Randall's shrimp.

Coral wise I've got mushroom rock on the right hand side with two ricordea florida, a rhodactis (I'm pretty sure... it came as a discosoma but, nah) and blue, red and watermelon discosomas. Left hand side is Polyp Place with a pulsing xenia, blue xenia and then two types of clove polyp (one orange tipped, one yellow tipped) - I want to get some metallic daisy polyps in there too. I've also got two chunks of GSP (one dark green, I'm going to try to get at least one of these to grow on the side wall), as well as a green leather, gold leather and an unknown leather that I think is supposed to be some kind of tree? or a finger leather? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's doing well for me.

The huge white mound on the left hand side is a frag mounting rock which I'm planning on making a zoa garden - I've got MOC Glowing Apples and MOC Vibrant Vermillion frags on order.

I'm also awaiting an Australian Duncan frag, Blasto frag and the MOC Glittering Flame Ultra Chalice (an Echinophyllia) as my first foray into LPS with the same order.

I'm inpatient though and already planning more corals - I'd love to get an elegance for the back left hand corner but I think that might be a little over my experience level right now, maybe ever. I've also been looking at the micromussa (acan) lords and trachyphyllia but I have concerns about a) aggression and b) space on the little piece of sandbed I have right now. I was looking into cynaria and scolys too but once they hit £60+ I start getting nervous.

Regardless, here's my tank in all it's algae-ish beauty. Please forgive the weird lighting and the cloudiness, I'd just moved the rocks back.

Brand new:
Xdwtx9j.jpg

How it was:
GFPZNEm.png

And how it is now:

5Hl5x2G.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back