show your fluval evo 13.5

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the intank basket for chamber 1 and chamber 2. I am disappointed with the chamber 1 basket, the tank water level is really high with the basket. I think I could get around it by doing a DIY on the top but haven’t done it yet.

I was a little disappointed at chamber one, the bottom compartment is barely big enough for my media bag and I don’t want to leave a bunch of Matrix all over the bottom.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations on a skimmer for the evo 13.5? Thanks in advance!

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations on a skimmer for the evo 13.5? Thanks in advance!

Most would likely say it's not necessary if you do regular water change. I am in that camp. The only caveat I add to that is that besides water change it's ideal you also replace your filter often. I have gone through 3 skimmers total in the passed 2 years. Just a few months ago I had thrown all of them in the trash.

Having said that I had gone through 2 of basically the same type of nano skimmers for the EVO. Due to the constraints, your choice is limited. I recalled there are a few other options; I just don't recalled.
  • Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter
  • Fluval 14324 Sea Mini Protein Skimmer

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set mine up a few weeks ago and it just finished cycling a couple days ago! Planning to get a firefish goby in a week or 2
IMG_20190105_120426.jpeg

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my little slice of the ocean currently located in the EVO. The plug on the top and disk on the bottom are there to prevent the mushrooms and anemone from stinging. Curing some rock that will take its place soon.

I am surprised both frogspawn and hammer are not stinging the whole neighborhood.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised both frogspawn and hammer are not stinging the whole neighborhood.

The ones on the left keep the BTA on its side. I really got to start trimming them though. Most of those started with one or two heads and the one in the middle is 13 heads now.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most would likely say it's not necessary if you do regular water change. I am in that camp. The only caveat I add to that is that besides water change it's ideal you also replace your filter often. I have gone through 3 skimmers total in the passed 2 years. Just a few months ago I had thrown all of them in the trash.

Having said that I had gone through 2 of basically the same type of nano skimmers for the EVO. Due to the constraints, your choice is limited. I recalled there are a few other options; I just don't recalled.
  • Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter
  • Fluval 14324 Sea Mini Protein Skimmer

Thanks got the 115 Mini; required removing some plastic off the bracket to fit but only in the second chamber

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my little slice of the ocean currently located in the EVO. The plug on the top and disk on the bottom are there to prevent the mushrooms and anemone from stinging. Curing some rock that will take its place soon.

tky1kqA.jpg

This is so awesome, do you dose or anything? Would love to see the same growth in my tank

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so awesome, do you dose or anything? Would love to see the same growth in my tank

Thank you. I actually had to trim that green sinularia on the right because it was actually taking over the entire space over there and was competing with the pink nepthea and Japanese toadstool. I have noticed they are doing much better (by being more open all the time and full) since I got rid of the giant sinularia.

Regarding dosing, I don't. I do weekly water changes of around 25% using RSCP. I have InTank chambers one and two with floss on the top of chamber one followed by chemipure underneath and change those out about every three weeks. In chamber two I have some ceramic bio media for further filtration. Other than that, I use a Tunze 6040 but have it on the lowest setting and have it alternate in flow with pulsing action. I do not use a heater since the room is a constant 75F year round.

The euphyllias have grown a lot and usually grow new heads every 2-3 months. Blasto's have different speeds it seems. I have some ARC black cherries and they have grown from about 2 heads to 7 in one years time. The pinkish ones to the right grow very decent as well with the others just being full and happy although I do see some possible heads finally forming. The fungia, blasto's, lords (recent additions but forming new heads) and dendro get fed at least once a week although the dander gets fed twice during this time.

Lights are stock and I leave them on from about 8 to 5 and then have the blue lights on for a further two hours. I did add some reef bright actinic lights to add more blue color but I honestly don't turn those on very much (no particular reason really).

I am actually going to start another evo at school to place some of my excess corals and add some cleaner shrimp for the kids to observe. I will probably start a thread on that soon.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I actually had to trim that green sinularia on the right because it was actually taking over the entire space over there and was competing with the pink nepthea and Japanese toadstool. I have noticed they are doing much better (by being more open all the time and full) since I got rid of the giant sinularia.

Regarding dosing, I don't. I do weekly water changes of around 25% using RSCP. I have InTank chambers one and two with floss on the top of chamber one followed by chemipure underneath and change those out about every three weeks. In chamber two I have some ceramic bio media for further filtration. Other than that, I use a Tunze 6040 but have it on the lowest setting and have it alternate in flow with pulsing action. I do not use a heater since the room is a constant 75F year round.

The euphyllias have grown a lot and usually grow new heads every 2-3 months. Blasto's have different speeds it seems. I have some ARC black cherries and they have grown from about 2 heads to 7 in one years time. The pinkish ones to the right grow very decent as well with the others just being full and happy although I do see some possible heads finally forming. The fungia, blasto's, lords (recent additions but forming new heads) and dendro get fed at least once a week although the dander gets fed twice during this time.

Lights are stock and I leave them on from about 8 to 5 and then have the blue lights on for a further two hours. I did add some reef bright actinic lights to add more blue color but I honestly don't turn those on very much (no particular reason really).

I am actually going to start another evo at school to place some of my excess corals and add some cleaner shrimp for the kids to observe. I will probably start a thread on that soon.

That's awesome to see on stock lighting. How long have you had you had the tank running with the majority corals in it?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back