Shrimp Breeding Questions

Carolyn's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I currently have Skunk Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, and Blood shrimp breeding in my tank! Of course, I have multiple of each.. sometimes it feels like every couple days/week I have babies. The peppermint shrimp like to hide under the rocks (Even after buying big sponges) they don't come out until after 2 am. It's really hard to see their eggs to get an idea of when they will release. Long story short, couple days ago they ALL decided they would release on the same day. I literally have 3 different shrimp larval babies with no way of really separating them as I am collecting them. The only way I have found that doesn't hurt them is using a cup.

Is there a way of collecting them without hurting them?

I purchased this off of bulk reef (waiting for it to get to me.. Link below).

Is there a better way? Right now I am waiting until 12-3 am to collect them. I am only getting less than 10% (which my fish and corals love by them way lol). With thousands of babies, at most I got 100 babies.
1634147928277.png

Purchased here.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Carolyn's Corals

Carolyn's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I am wanting to document my shrimp breeding process. But my phone is just not cutting it! I don't know where to start.

My boyfriend purchased me a Nikon Digital Camera d3500. But don't know if I should buy lenses for this or pick up a better camera.

The shrimp are now 2 weeks old. YAY! But they still are SOO TINY!

What camera/macro lens/ would you suggest?

Carolyn

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Peppermint Shrimp Babies on several occasion. They go through several Metamorphosi, I could never get them to Adulthood. I did find out, I could feed them ReefRoids, and Spirulinia dissolved in Sea Water. Tried Baby Brine, but they couldn’t catch enough. Be prepared to feed them many times a day, enlist your family if possible. Good Luck.

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Shrimp are 2 weeks old... Any idea which shrimp this is?

245324807_4497842563642885_6622639072978039400_n.jpg
245995859_1273861149745997_3733416808638912801_n1.jpg
How did this end up turning out?! One of my skunk cleaner shrimp has visible eggs and I want to give it a go at raising them. I’m seeing lots of unsuccessful stories so I may experiment which different hatcheries and setups

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this end up turning out?! One of my skunk cleaner shrimp has visible eggs and I want to give it a go at raising them. I’m seeing lots of unsuccessful stories so I may experiment which different hatcheries and setups
No expert by any means but the look plus the odds say peppermint shrimp.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait you can have all of those in your tank and they leave each other alone? my wife loves shrimp and begs me to get more because the skunk cleaners are very active. are bloods active?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying something similar and on a similar time scale - trying to iterate on the process and just collect whatever larvae I can find after lights out in the tank (mine seem to come between 10pm and 11pm, usually).

While I don't have a proper ID, I think it's either a blood shrimp or a peppermint shrimp that you've got - and I'd probably lean towards peppermint. I think the trouble is mostly that all three are the same genus, so their larval morphology is probably very similar, but I believe the peppermint shrimp are the fastest maturing, so only being two weeks old and that far along may point in that direction. Otherwise, I think I've got a younger version of the same kind of shrimp, and while I've newly got peppermints and blood shrimp in this tank, I didn't see any eggs on the blood shrimp while I did see them on one of the peppermints (which have since disappeared).

Not a definitive ID, but for comparison, this is a ~3dph zoea of what is probably a peppermint but could be a blood shrimp:
peppermint shrimp larvae probably.jpg

And this is a 10 day old skunk cleaner (similar, but I think not a match):
10dph zoea.jpg

And that's about as clear an image as I've been able to manage... these guys are very fidgety so there's a lot of blur.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back