Shrinkflation by BRS

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The only companies in this hobby that get on my nerve sometimes are AI (fantastic meltable lights) and Brightwell (absolutely horrible instructions that confuse people). Tropic marin get on my nerve in the same way Apple does lol
Really? How old were your AI lights?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because there couldn’t ever be differences in batches?
No, prices. Calcium chloride has gone way up post covid from BRS.

And I can weigh out my supplements and get an exact match batch to batch. Not rely on some other company to get it right every time.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to reorder and wow that's a price increase! Very disappointing..... the genesis of BRS was selling the 2 part products to reefers with good QC, packaging, and pricing. Seems like they are too big to care about that base any longer.

Does anyone have viable alternatives for calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate?

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to get a new 5 gallon of ca ,and soda ash wow doubled in price this company is completely going down the tubes from the original roots it was founded on . Been a customer since 2010 and they are truly getting greedy.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to get a new 5 gallon of ca ,and soda ash wow doubled in price this company is completely going down the tubes from the original roots it was founded on . Been a customer since 2010 and they are truly getting greedy.

Yeah going from 25 to 40 on 2 part seems excessive. I work in the chemical industry and can attest that some raw materials have in fact doubled so I can’t say for sure. Silicone doubled and caustic and acids went up a good amount.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever herd of this product

Attachments

• BE3D4EFA-70BC-446F-8EFB-617250915787.png
    BE3D4EFA-70BC-446F-8EFB-617250915787.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 27

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear Krispy Kreme glazed donuts have gotten smaller/thinner. If you want something to be upset about, this is the one.
My wife and me agree!! Went there last week and it was noticeable smaller.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so how many of youz are old enough to remember when a pop tart was so wide you needed to whack it with a hammer to get it down inside a toaster? Now you can get 2 of them into the same toaster slot.

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah going from 25 to 40 on 2 part seems excessive. I work in the chemical industry and can attest that some raw materials have in fact doubled so I can’t say for sure. Silicone doubled and caustic and acids went up a good amount.
Yeah the silicon shortage was a real humdinger. $4/kg silicone oil base stocks to $13/kg. Ouchies.
The lab chems haven't gone up all that much from what I feel, our AR grade Ca(OH)₂ barely moved, but I might be looking at grandfathered in stock.

Maybe a 10% increase in raw materials that don't fall under shutting down a whole province of China to clear the air for a couple months. Still, that's just what I'm seeing on the surface and in my neck of the woods.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything has gotten smaller. Even our kids chip snack packs. There is like 7 chips and the bag fits in the palm of my hand. Things have gotten ridiculous. You can’t blame all company’s for taken advantage but there are definitely companies that are. Hopefully good change comes soon.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People probably start their window shopping at BRS since they may carry the widest range of products, but may ultimately buy elsewhere for a better deal. I’m guilty. :)

Coach v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question is, did 2-part prices only increase at BRS or did 2-part prices increase at other retailers as well?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back