Shutting down reef tank

cameronh21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am shutting down my reef tank as I will be starting college pretty soon and I don’t want it to become neglected. I already found a friend to take the clean up crew and the fish but I have no idea what to do with the rocks covered in various corals. I would feel bad throwing the rocks away with all of the living corals on it. If anyone has experience or advice, what would you do with the rocks with corals on them? Thank you for any help or tips!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried speak with a LFS and see if they will buy them or sell them on consignment or maybe other local reefer might want them?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am shutting down my reef tank as I will be starting college pretty soon and I don’t want it to become neglected. I already found a friend to take the clean up crew and the fish but I have no idea what to do with the rocks covered in various corals. I would feel bad throwing the rocks away with all of the living corals on it. If anyone has experience or advice, what would you do with the rocks with corals on them? Thank you for any help or tips!
Where u live at?? I’ll take those off your hands lol

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had to shut down my previous tank, a couple forum posts in the 'local' area on that forum, plus an ad on craigslist.....

All the livestock and rock was gone in about 12 hours. The hardware in less than a week, including the tank. I got bombarded with responses, and I just priced it all as "Best Offer". I got offered more than I would have actually priced a lot of it at.

The cheaper you price things, the faster it sells. Try to maximize the profits and it'll sit for a long time.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always great to find a local reef group on facebook. Here in Colorado we have an excellent one and people are always trading, selling or donating corals and frags.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always great to find a local reef group on facebook. Here in Colorado we have an excellent one and people are always trading, selling or donating corals and frags.
+1 Have you google'd, checked FB, or checked the R2R Local Reef Club Discussion board to see if there are any local clubs in your area? If so, many local clubs have websites, their own forums or FB groups where you can offer them up to new homes.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell stuff on the Hillbilly Network: Craigslist

I swear I could list a used pen that doesn't work and some dude in a rusted out 1970s Ford will drive clear across town to buy it off me for 10cents

Craigslist is the great dumping ground

Back