Sicce syncra sdc 6.0 return pump temperature alarm

Imee1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank is 3.5 months old. I’ve had the sicce sycra sdc pump on a 35 gallon tank. Today I came home and my phone gave me an alert that the pump was in temp alarm at 38 decrees. I run the pump in lagoon mode and very the speed between 43%-71% throughout the day. Could the sensor in the pump be shot? The pump is clean without any obstructions. The flow seems fine. Does anyone else have experience with these pumps?
thanks

OP
OP
I

Imee1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the pump off and it didn’t change from 38 decrees after 10 minutes so I’m assuming its a faulty sensor.

TruckerTami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the pump off and it didn’t change from 38 decrees after 10 minutes so I’m assuming its a faulty sensor.
I’m wondering about this as well, as my pump has started doing this. Constant temp alerts all day long, and it’s off by 4-5 degrees most of the time. I took the pump apart and cleaned it, and it did not stop the alerts. @Sicceus19 has there been an issue with this??

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I think I also have the same problem with the SDC 7.0 I've got 2 of them running side by side at the same speed and one is heating up the issue I have on top of this is in not home and won't be for another 4 days so I'm a bit worried about what the cause could be. As far as I can tell it's still running and the other is still showing normal temp but the faulty one is increasing by just over 1deg every 2 hours and still climbing.
I'm assuming it's not a blockage as the tank would make heaps of noise in the overflow and my wife who is at home has said nothing so it must still be running as it's been set to do so it's just getting hotter.
Any ideas on what could be going on?

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I think I also have the same problem with the SDC 7.0 I've got 2 of them running side by side at the same speed and one is heating up the issue I have on top of this is in not home and won't be for another 4 days so I'm a bit worried about what the cause could be. As far as I can tell it's still running and the other is still showing normal temp but the faulty one is increasing by just over 1deg every 2 hours and still climbing.
I'm assuming it's not a blockage as the tank would make heaps of noise in the overflow and my wife who is at home has said nothing so it must still be running as it's been set to do so it's just getting hotter.
Any ideas on what could be going on?
I read a few posts where Sicce told the pump owner it’s just a “glitch” or whatever and they couldn’t do anything about it. I kept getting warnings that the pump was at 108.9 degrees and would automatically shut down. Thankfully it never did and a week or so later it went back to showing normal running temp. I’m clearly no expert, but if your other Sicce in the same space is fine, I’d guess so is the high temp one, and maybe it’s just that Sicce “glitch”. Any chance your wife could just give it a quick visual check for a blockage or send a close up photo to you so you can get a decent visual? Otherwise I’d go with the it’s all right mind frame until you can get home and check it out. Not a great glitch to have for sure!! Best of luck and I hope it resolves itself.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a few posts where Sicce told the pump owner it’s just a “glitch” or whatever and they couldn’t do anything about it. I kept getting warnings that the pump was at 108.9 degrees and would automatically shut down. Thankfully it never did and a week or so later it went back to showing normal running temp. I’m clearly no expert, but if your other Sicce in the same space is fine, I’d guess so is the high temp one, and maybe it’s just that Sicce “glitch”. Any chance your wife could just give it a quick visual check for a blockage or send a close up photo to you so you can get a decent visual? Otherwise I’d go with the it’s all right mind frame until you can get home and check it out. Not a great glitch to have for sure!! Best of luck and I hope it resolves itself.
My wife is very stand off about the tank so the absolute minimum I have to ask her to do the better.

I have just turned the one off now but I'll try turn it back on after it cools down and see if I still have the same issue.

when I turned it off the water filled in my sump and the overflow emptied so I know the pump is still running with the higher temperature but at least I know now that the overtemp will protect it from major damage and I'll be able to turn it on during the night so my family is not sleeping with a waterfall in the house
If I still have the problem after I get home and check it out I'll raise it with sicce so it's at least recorded that there is a issue and I'll get back here with their response.

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is very stand off about the tank so the absolute minimum I have to ask her to do the better.

I have just turned the one off now but I'll try turn it back on after it cools down and see if I still have the same issue.

when I turned it off the water filled in my sump and the overflow emptied so I know the pump is still running with the higher temperature but at least I know now that the overtemp will protect it from major damage and I'll be able to turn it on during the night so my family is not sleeping with a waterfall in the house
If I still have the problem after I get home and check it out I'll raise it with sicce so it's at least recorded that there is a issue and I'll get back here with their response.
Sounds like a good plan! I turned mine off when it was saying it was overheated, used the opportunity to do some tank cleaning, but it still showed as overheated when I started things back up again. I just let it run. About a week later it registered normal operating temps again. I’ll be interested to see what I you from Sicce! I probably should’ve filed something too, but I guess I’m just so relieved it’s working right, I didn’t do that. My own fault if it comes back to bite me….

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the pump off during the day and the temp didn't seem to come down in temp so I had it on during the night (didn't want to keep the kids awake) and woke to find out at 45deg.. I've had it off now for almost 9 hours and still finding it at 44deg now. I've called my lol LFS and they have advised a 30sec unplug for the wall and a clean so I'll give that a go tomorrow night and keep this thread updated so if anyone else come across the problem hopefully they can get out of the issue faster than I have!

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a thick slime coat on my roters so I've cleaned it off but in the process I unplugged the pumps from the wall. In doing so I can turn the pumps on and off using the app but the app is saying the pump is not connected and not providing a temperate readout so I've reached out to support now for any resolve

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a thick slime coat on my roters so I've cleaned it off but in the process I unplugged the pumps from the wall. In doing so I can turn the pumps on and off using the app but the app is saying the pump is not connected and not providing a temperate readout so I've reached out to support now for any resolve
Thinking about buying one of those pumps, did you guys solve this issue?

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a brief issue with the SDC 9.0 temp alarm, but it resolved itself after a couple weeks. It never caused my pump to shut down, for which I am grateful! Back to normal readings and running like a champ.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about buying one of those pumps, did you guys solve this issue?
yes and no over time it did eventually come back down its currently sitting at 25.8 and 26.3 deg Celsius so almost back to original it seems that the temp is more accurate when the speed of the pump is higher. 2 weeks ago they were both running at 76% and had a 2 deg difference but due to the article R2R did on water clarity i thought i would like mine to be better so Ive increased my skimmer so its taking out weak tea rather than black coffee and increased the pumps speed to 100% on both and its brought the temp probes closer together.
overall i am still very happy with the pumps and if i was going to buy another pump i don't know if i would look at any other brand unless i was looking for a pump i didn't care about (like something for water changes ect)

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and no over time it did eventually come back down its currently sitting at 25.8 and 26.3 deg Celsius so almost back to original it seems that the temp is more accurate when the speed of the pump is higher. 2 weeks ago they were both running at 76% and had a 2 deg difference but due to the article R2R did on water clarity i thought i would like mine to be better so Ive increased my skimmer so its taking out weak tea rather than black coffee and increased the pumps speed to 100% on both and its brought the temp probes closer together.
overall i am still very happy with the pumps and if i was going to buy another pump i don't know if i would look at any other brand unless i was looking for a pump i didn't care about (like something for water changes ect)
Well, I was debating between this and the varios 6

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I tried to call nobody ever answered the phone. Had to leave a message and it was a hit and miss.

chrisga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one of my two SDC 9 with a high temp warning, that is what lead me to this post. I can tell you from experience that the customer service was great about a year ago when I had a noise issue, you just have to use the online portal. They asked for the usual proof of purchase and a picture and I quickly received the needed replacement part. For the current problem I will clean the pump (probably due anyway) and see what happens. If that does not work I will find out if the customer service is still great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back