Sick angel fish?

alsante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this angel fish look like it may be sick? Someone commented on the flat stomach and thinning above the lateral line possibly due to cyanide or quinildine. The fish acts fine and is eating. It is newer to the tank and I am wondering if I need to return to LFS.

IMG_3132.jpeg IMG_3131.jpeg IMG_3125.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does this angel fish look like it may be sick? Someone commented on the flat stomach and thinning above the lateral line possibly due to cyanide or quinildine. The fish acts fine and is eating. It is newer to the tank and I am wondering if I need to return to LFS.

Fish is slightly thin and has marks on head which are either nick type injury or bacterial. Returning to store is a wise option if this is how you bought it as you will need to up diet and also treat with medication for bacteria in a separate tank which will cost added money. If you decide to keep it, you will need a sperate tank and use either Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with added aeration

OP
OP
A

alsante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is slightly thin and has marks on head which are either nick type injury or bacterial. Returning to store is a wise option if this is how you bought it as you will need to up diet and also treat with medication for bacteria in a separate tank which will cost added money. If you decide to keep it, you will need a sperate tank and use either Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with added aeration
Will bacterial white spots appear and disappear quickly? The white spot you see is new since last night. I was originally worried about a different white spot yesterday which disappeared over night and this one appeared.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
A

alsante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will bacterial white spots appear and disappear quickly? The white spot you see is new since last night. I was originally worried about a different white spot yesterday which disappeared over night and this one appeared.
It is also very friendly with the BTA, not sure if that would cause these spots but seems odd the initial one disappeared so quickly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had the fish? It is really thin. If the store sold it to you that thin, and you've only had it a day or so, they should take it back (but many stores don't allow returns).

This species is very often caught with cyanide. They are one of the lowest value of the angelfish, yet they are tough to catch with just a net, so fishers resort to cyanide. That in turn can cause mortality in the fish, weeks later. the mortality rate approaches 60% over the first 40 days after collection.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alsante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? It is really thin. If the store sold it to you that thin, and you've only had it a day or so, they should take it back (but many stores don't allow returns).

This species is very often caught with cyanide. They are one of the lowest value of the angelfish, yet they are tough to catch with just a net, so fishers resort to cyanide. That in turn can cause mortality in the fish, weeks later. the mortality rate approaches 60% over the first 40 days after collection.

Jay
Thanks. I only got it two days ago and LFS has 7 day return. I will take it back today.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The one you pointed out is lymphocystis which is typical with these fish and certain butterflies. Both issues are often corrected with good water quality and diet and can be corrected. Its a matter if you want to keep the fish. It will do well with presence of an anemone but poses risk of nipping with polyps, zoa and other soft coral.
Some foods are TDO pellets, LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp

OP
OP
A

alsante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one you pointed out is lymphocystis which is typical with these fish and certain butterflies. Both issues are often corrected with good water quality and diet and can be corrected. Its a matter if you want to keep the fish. It will do well with presence of an anemone but poses risk of nipping with polyps, zoa and other soft coral.
Some foods are TDO pellets, LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp
It is eating well, reef frenzy and mysis shrimp. I also gave it a hikari algae wafer and it has eaten everything so far. Would your recommendation be to keep it if it’s eating well? Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate 2.5, phosphate 0, salinity 35 ppt, temp 78 so water is good.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is eating well, reef frenzy and mysis shrimp. I also gave it a hikari algae wafer and it has eaten everything so far. Would your recommendation be to keep it if it’s eating well? Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate 2.5, phosphate 0, salinity 35 ppt, temp 78 so water is good.
Eating well suggests fish will fatten up and shake issues. May have something to do with LFS water and not yours

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, I will keep an eye on it for now and feed plenty.
I would also notify the store - and let them know the issues. Ask them if something happens 10 days from now - or it's not improving if you can return it. To my judgement - if they will not agree to replace it if your 'fattening up' does not help, I would consider returning it. Good luck!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back