Sick Clownfish - next steps?

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic Looking for help please. I posted a build thread here which may be helpful, and below I have included current details as well.

My black clownfish is struggling/dying and I'm hoping for guidance. About 5 days ago I noticed a lot of interaction between the 2 clowns similar to the video in my build thread. I haven't had them long but they always have appeared to get along well. The worst I've seen has been minor nipping and chasing. They were sleeping together up until then but over the past 4 days the black one has been progressively becoming more lethargic and breathing faster. It has not eaten since Thursday 4/13 and is staying at the bottom of the tank and not moving much. This morning I woke up and it's gotten worse. stress, or disease? 2 days ago I tried a freshwater dip which at the time didn't seem to hurt, but things haven't gotten better. I did not see anything fall off into the water that would indicate parasites but I'm new to this. today I might see some white spots on it's body, but could possibly be sand.

These are my first 2 saltwater fish, and looks like this one may be too far gone. How should I proceed? Unfortunately I am injured and on one leg right now, so setting up a hospital or QT tank seems impossible, but can order supplies to my house or stop at petco for small things. At what point do I pull the plug, and how/do I determine cause?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TViqAXculs0

The changes since my post on the 12th include a 2 gallon water change with LFS water, addition of intank media basket for chamber 1 + filter floss, etc. and removal of stock filtration. Probably ill advised, but before the symptoms got worse I also added a frag of GSP on 4/15. It opened up almost immediately and is thriving which leads me to believe water quality is ok? Pictures below.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, 1 GSP, 2 clowns roughly 1.25in, 3 Trochus snails, 1 Halloween Hermit
Aquarium water volume - 13.5gal Fluval
Filtration type - Prior to yesterday stock. Yesterday added intank chamber 1. Kept bio media and carbon in rack and added marinepure spheres a couple weeks ago.
Lighting: Stock fluval 13.5
How long has the aquarium been established? March 5
Digital image of the aquarium under white light:

IMG_1449.jpg

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature - 78
Salinity - 1.026
LFS test 4/15
IMG_1411.jpg

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? no
Are any invertebrates affected? unsure - crab has been lethargic this week - see sand bed
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) = very rapid 100+
Are the affected fish still feeding? no
What remedies have you tried so far? direct feeding,, FW dip, no medicine.
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light:

IMG_1443.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I posted this the black clownfish has died. I watched it happen and was able to take it out of the tank immediately. Looked like it regurgitated something as it passed.

My primary concern now is how to proceed from here. The white one seems to be ok, swimming and eating well and is the only fish in the tank currently.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Since I posted this the black clownfish has died. I watched it happen and was able to take it out of the tank immediately. Looked like it regurgitated something as it passed.

My primary concern now is how to proceed from here. The white one seems to be ok, swimming and eating well and is the only fish in the tank currently.
I beieve this is isolated to the clown which im sorry to hear died as it was a pretty one. The spintest you have , I personally do not trust which is a knock-off of Unreliable Api test kits.
Take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api anything and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response Vetteguy. That spin test is at my LFS, not my house. I'm not sure if there is another LFS within reasonable distance ahead of my knee surgery, but will check. Maybe Petco.

I should also comment that I have tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate almost every day and results have been steady throughout. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate looks like 5 on mine as well. I use a fluval test.

Final Q - does this mark on my remaining clown give you any concern? Assuming I should wait a little while before trying to add a new fish.

IMG_1452.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic Looking for help please. I posted a build thread here which may be helpful, and below I have included current details as well.

My black clownfish is struggling/dying and I'm hoping for guidance. About 5 days ago I noticed a lot of interaction between the 2 clowns similar to the video in my build thread. I haven't had them long but they always have appeared to get along well. The worst I've seen has been minor nipping and chasing. They were sleeping together up until then but over the past 4 days the black one has been progressively becoming more lethargic and breathing faster. It has not eaten since Thursday 4/13 and is staying at the bottom of the tank and not moving much. This morning I woke up and it's gotten worse. stress, or disease? 2 days ago I tried a freshwater dip which at the time didn't seem to hurt, but things haven't gotten better. I did not see anything fall off into the water that would indicate parasites but I'm new to this. today I might see some white spots on it's body, but could possibly be sand.

These are my first 2 saltwater fish, and looks like this one may be too far gone. How should I proceed? Unfortunately I am injured and on one leg right now, so setting up a hospital or QT tank seems impossible, but can order supplies to my house or stop at petco for small things. At what point do I pull the plug, and how/do I determine cause?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TViqAXculs0

The changes since my post on the 12th include a 2 gallon water change with LFS water, addition of intank media basket for chamber 1 + filter floss, etc. and removal of stock filtration. Probably ill advised, but before the symptoms got worse I also added a frag of GSP on 4/15. It opened up almost immediately and is thriving which leads me to believe water quality is ok? Pictures below.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, 1 GSP, 2 clowns roughly 1.25in, 3 Trochus snails, 1 Halloween Hermit
Aquarium water volume - 13.5gal Fluval
Filtration type - Prior to yesterday stock. Yesterday added intank chamber 1. Kept bio media and carbon in rack and added marinepure spheres a couple weeks ago.
Lighting: Stock fluval 13.5
How long has the aquarium been established? March 5
Digital image of the aquarium under white light:

IMG_1449.jpg

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature - 78
Salinity - 1.026
LFS test 4/15
IMG_1411.jpg

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? no
Are any invertebrates affected? unsure - crab has been lethargic this week - see sand bed
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) = very rapid 100+
Are the affected fish still feeding? no
What remedies have you tried so far? direct feeding,, FW dip, no medicine.
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light:

IMG_1443.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry - the clownfish in the video is close to death, there isn't anything you could have done at that point. It had some type of gill disease or systemic issue, but rapid breathing alone is not sufficient to determine the type of problem. Just watch the remaining clownfish for signs of a similar issue - increasing breathing rate, not feeding well, changes in behavior.

Jay

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry - the clownfish in the video is close to death, there isn't anything you could have done at that point. It had some type of gill disease or systemic issue, but rapid breathing alone is not sufficient to determine the type of problem. Just watch the remaining clownfish for signs of a similar issue - increasing breathing rate, not feeding well, changes in behavior.

Jay
Thank you Jay - I'll do that. How long do you suggest I wait until adding another?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay - I'll do that. How long do you suggest I wait until adding another?

Sorry, I missed your post from yesterday.....

Since there is another fish in the tank, you can't leave the tank "fallow" and try to kill off any fish diseases. I would wait at least 30 days (45 is better). If the existing clown is still symptom free, then whatever this one had is not likely contagious. However, adding a second clown to one that is established in a tank often causes fighting.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back