Sick clownfish! Please help

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a clownfish to the tank about a month ago. He was eating and swimming around like I would expect until a couple of days ago. Since then he is hovering just above the sand, will not eat, and appears to be gasping. I also just had a newly added cleaner shrimp (added 4 days ago) die today. There are no visible signs of illness (no white spots,difference in color, etc). Any idea what may be going on? I just put her in the QT tank today while doing a water change and added API general care medication because I have no idea what is wrong.
Parameters are
Nitrate 0.5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
AlK 8.6
Mag 1350
Ca 430
Temp 75-78 (varies with the lights being off or on)
Livestock

Clownfish
Purple pseudochromis
Yellow watchman goby
Half black angel
Yellow tang
Pajama cardinal

5 peppermint shrimp
2 fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp (now)

3 blue leg hermits
10 red leg hermits
2 tuxedo urchins
1 long spine urchin
A few snails

72 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump
Protein skimmer and bio balls
100lbs live rock and live sand
Tank has been up and running approximately 5 years
Dose 45 mL vodka daily because I was having nitrate issues but they have resolved
I’ve been Changeing 25 gallons weekly with 6 stage rodi reading 0 tds

Last edited: Today at 1

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clownfish the only fish that is gasping? Would you say this "gasping" is more like yawning? If so, that is a symptom of gill flukes.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any white stringy poop?
I did notice a small white string yesterday. But it was gone today. Could that be the problem? How do I treat it? The pet stores in this area are very limited to medications. I could order something but I’m afraid that by the time it arrives it may be to late to help the poor lil fish

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clownfish the only fish that is gasping? Would you say this "gasping" is more like yawning? If so, that is a symptom of gill flukes.
The clown is the only one gasping. I wouldn’t say yawning because it’s mouth is opening and closing pretty rapidly.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex/focus if you mix with food. If fish isn't eating then you'd have to dose the metro in water. @Humblefish is gonna be way better at this diagnosis.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex/focus if you mix with food. If fish isn't eating then you'd have to dose the metro in water. @Humblefish is gonna be way better at this diagnosis.
Okay. Thank you. I’ll see if I can find it. I went to to PetSmart and the Pet food center today and they didn’t have much to choose from.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thank you. I’ll see if I can find it. I went to to PetSmart and the Pet food center today and they didn’t have much to choose from.
If it is indeed an internal parasite, you will want the metroplex. I don't think our PetSmart Carry's it here locally. I know a store here called the reef does carry it where I live. You'll have better luck with a store specific to fish rather than big national retailer.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is indeed an internal parasite, you will want the metroplex. I don't think our PetSmart Carry's it here locally. I know a store here called the reef does carry it where I live. You'll have better luck with a store specific to fish rather than big national retailer.
I’m going to have to order it and pray that he makes it. There is nothing in this area to choose from. Thank you again for the response! I appreciate all the help I can get.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice a small white string yesterday. But it was gone today. Could that be the problem? How do I treat it? The pet stores in this area are very limited to medications. I could order something but I’m afraid that by the time it arrives it may be to late to help the poor lil fish

White stringy poop (assuming that's what it was) = intestinal worms. More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

In addition to dosing General Cure, I would begin soaking that medication in the fish food. You will also need to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the food.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop (assuming that's what it was) = intestinal worms. More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

In addition to dosing General Cure, I would begin soaking that medication in the fish food. You will also need to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the food.
Wow! Thank you so much for the info! The general cure directions call for the 2nd dose in 48 hours so I will order the Focus, other medication and have it rush delivered.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's flukes, as humble was leaning towards it will be a completely different treatment method.

@Humblefish has some great sticky threads at beginning of the disease forum that are very helpful.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/
Thank you both for the quick responses. I’m getting ready to leave for work but ordered prazi and focus from Amazon. 2 day shipment. Hopefully the general cure will be enough to get the lil fella through a couple days until it comes in. Many reviews on the metro stated that they didn’t get the right thing so I decided on prazi in a pinch. For some reason the marine depot site will not come up for me to order there. So I had to do what I could on limited time.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thanks again!!
Another question. Since I’m not 100% sure what is wrong would it be okay to treat with the api super ick cure too? The lil fella still isn’t eating even with added garlic.
I’m also really worried about the rest of the tank since she was originally in the display but everyone else seems okay and are eating fine as of now. My QT is only 10 gallons so it would be a nightmare to have to take out all the fish

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redose GC in 5-7 days (not 48 hours)... the directions are wrong. ;)
Okay. Thanks again!!
Another question. Since I’m not 100% sure what is wrong would it be okay to treat with the api super ick cure too? The lil fella still isn’t eating even with added garlic.
I’m also really worried about the rest of the tank since she was originally in the display but everyone else seems okay and are eating fine as of now. My QT is only 10 gallons so it would be a nightmare to have to take out all the fish

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm aware, API's "Super Ich Cure" is for freshwater fish. True ich is a freshwater parasite - our saltwater Cryptocaryon has similar symptoms and a similar lifecycle, so it gets _called_ "ich" but isn't the same bug.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm aware, API's "Super Ich Cure" is for freshwater fish. True ich is a freshwater parasite - our saltwater Cryptocaryon has similar symptoms and a similar lifecycle, so it gets _called_ "ich" but isn't the same bug.

~Bruce
The box states that it is for fresh or saltwater fish. So it doesn’t work for saltwater then?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the box says fresh or salt, the bottle freshwater only ... and it wouldn't be the first time (not by a long shot) that an aquatic "medication" was advertised for something it couldn't deliver on. I would rely on copper or Chloroquine Phosphate (CP) to eliminate Cryptocaryon ... and cast a suspicious eye on any other medication. _Especially_ one that claims to cure ich or velvet in a display tank with rock, inverts and corals.

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back