Sick fish. Many symptoms. Please help

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is about 6 months old and our clowns were some of our first residents. We have a teeny tiny little orange clownfish. He normally hangs out with his clownfish buddy by the powerhead (not any of the BTAs I got them ) the past couple days we couldn't find him but he turned up hiding in a top corner by a pump by himself. Today he's lower but swimming in circles in a small area of the tank. We noticed he has what looks like a white film on him (photos makes it look worse than it is).

In addition our male lyretail anthias is breathing like he's gulping

And our red headed fairy wrasse has 2 white spots on his gills

Water parameters are have been super stable for the past several months.
Amonia lives at .25ppm on an API test. But tested at about 1 the other day. We did a quick water change and are back to normal at .25
0 nitrites.
5 nitrates
5 phosphate
8.4pH
8.6 Alkalinity
1.026 salt.
78 degrees

Little clown just got a 2 minute freshwater dip which looks like it cleaned the film off and is now in quarantine we are currently trying to catch the other two

Last fishy Additions were a kole eye tang and lemonpeel angel about a month ago. They spent a couple weeks in observation only quarentine. We have introduced a few softy frags since.

Any thoughts!?!

IMG_20200815_122942.jpg MVIMG_20200815_122939_1.jpg IMG_20200815_122936.jpg

ryan quave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like brook to me
Could be or just the fish sliming up I've seen fish with bad velvet look like that it's hard to tell form the pics...

Ok you are in trouble I have not had much luck saving fish that are showing signs of disease. What do you have available treat with?

Can you get pics of other fish then the clowns? Brook is hard on clowns but does kill other fish.
Pull all the fish and do a fresh water dip if you happen to have some reef rally I found it helps to dip them in that after the fw dip.

You said you see spots does it look like a dust or large spots?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely looks like Brook.
Would do a 5 min freshwater dip to help relieve some symptoms. Like stated up Ruby Reef Rally helps as well and a dip for 90 mins is a must. Would get him in the QT if you have one Brook is a quick killer.

OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be or just the fish sliming up I've seen fish with bad velvet look like that it's hard to tell form the pics...

Ok you are in trouble I have not had much luck saving fish that are showing signs of disease. What do you have available treat with?

Can you get pics of other fish then the clowns? Brook is hard on clowns but does kill other fish.
Pull all the fish and do a fresh water dip if you happen to have some reef rally I found it helps to dip them in that after the fw dip.

You said you see spots does it look like a dust or large spots?

So the white on the clown looks like a translucent film.

The spots in my wrasse's gills looks like raised spots kind of like ich but only along his gills.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to say velvet and he needs a qt tank and copper ASAP

OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like Brook.
Would do a 5 min freshwater dip to help relieve some symptoms. Like stated up Ruby Reef Rally helps as well and a dip for 90 mins is a must. Would get him in the QT if you have one Brook is a quick killer.
He got his freshwater dip. It took the white film off of him. He is acting ok in QT but fun new symptom this morning: the black ring around the edge of his tail is gone. Like his the edge of his tail is falling off

Attachments

• VID_20200816_080006.mp4
    37.7 MB
OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my teeny clown looks like he's losing his tail. He is active in QT but not eating.

Still trying to catch the other guys with no luck. Any tricks??

My live stock is in our 110 gallon display:
4 very small clowns
3 lyretail anthias
2 blue damsels
3 chromis
1 yellow tail damsel
1 copperband
1 lemon peel angel
1 red headed fairy wrasse
1 sleeper goby
1 firefish

Various shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, and emerald crabs plus 4 large BTAs

Frags and very small colonies are mostly softies and lps with various montipora being our only sps

Question: can my 30 gallon hospital tank house all my fish or am I going to overload it. Also is it worth a gamble to add reef rally directly into the display to avoid trying to catch everybody to move?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my teeny clown looks like he's losing his tail. He is active in QT but not eating.

Still trying to catch the other guys with no luck. Any tricks??

My live stock is in our 110 gallon display:
4 very small clowns
3 lyretail anthias
2 blue damsels
3 chromis
1 yellow tail damsel
1 copperband
1 lemon peel angel
1 red headed fairy wrasse
1 sleeper goby
1 firefish

Various shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, and emerald crabs plus 4 large BTAs

Frags and very small colonies are mostly softies and lps with various montipora being our only sps

Question: can my 30 gallon hospital tank house all my fish or am I going to overload it. Also is it worth a gamble to add reef rally directly into the display to avoid trying to catch everybody to move?
Hi there! Just spotted your post. I am sorry for your poor clown. I have no experience with reef rally, you might need something bigger than a 30 depending on the size of your fish. I have plenty experience catching fish in my DT....lol. I have a 200 gallon reef tank so it is pretty packed with rock, coral, and 14 fish. What I have is a clear plastic divider, I corner the fish in a section and use two nets to grab them. You could use something to section your tank off, you could remove some of your live rock and put them into buckets, that way they have less places to hide, buy or borrow a fish trap (my least favorite method), or as a last resort do the "high and dry" method of draining most of your tank water into buckets or brute trash cans, including rock and coral, and catch all your fish, then refill the tank. Those are my ideas. Keeping my fingers the little tike pulls through! Hope that helps a little! Keep us posted.

Back