Sick Fish

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have lost 3 fish in the past month (2 Stripped Blennies and and stripped goby). They would start getting really skinny and then would lay on the bottom with rapid breathing.

Now my Kole Tang appears to have caught whatever they had. I first noticed his fins looking frayed, so I thought it might be fin/tail rot. I’ve had been dosing KanaPlex/Focus in their food once a day for the past week, but doesn’t appear to be helping. The tang was still swimming around and eating until this morning. He is in rough shape and is laying on the sand. Also noticed some white stuff in his mouth.

Any thoughts on what this might be? All my parameters seem to be in check. 55 gal tank +15 sump, 1.5 years old. No fish aggression or new fish added in the past year. All fish quarantined before adding. Only additions in the past couple months have been snails and a coral bandit.

attached is a picture of the tang of that helps.

7D59F70E-1DBA-4C8A-87C6-9AC21451AB75.jpeg 8CF0EA5C-159A-4084-A26E-24EA4B9AB05D.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had these fish and what and how much have you been feeding ?
I have had these fish for about a year. I feed frozen. A mix of mysis (large and small), brine, and plankton. Probably quarter cube each (maybe a little less). Then I feed some red nori sheets about once a week. I’ve been doing this for about 4 months. Was just doing pellets prior to that.

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had these fish? Who was added last?

Edit: what other fish do you currently have? Any pictures?
The other fish I have are two clown fish, blue sapphire damsel, or Orchid dottyback, and a watchman goby

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these fish for about a year. I feed frozen. A mix of mysis (large and small), brine, and plankton. Probably quarter cube each (maybe a little less). Then I feed some red nori sheets about once a week. I’ve been doing this for about 4 months. Was just doing pellets prior to that.
Mysis, brine and plankton are relatively low in protein and fat content. The cubes are mostly water. If they were eating pellets previously, you should continue to offer them along with the other. Pictures may help with diagnosis of other possible issues but I fear the fish may be malnourished since you've had them so long without other issues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the tang looks pretty thin. Perhaps the other fish are outcompeting it’s for food. Even if the tang has internal parasites, those can be overcome to a good extent by feeding it more food, more often.
Kanaplex just mixed with focus won’t work very well, since the dose is unknown. The standard kanamycin dose is 23 mg per pound of fish weight daily.
Jay

Back