Sick foxface please help!!

jfenton954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a foxface rabbit fish about 6 weeks ago and have it in a 29 gallon quarantine tank ever since I got him. I keep the salinity at 1.015 to help kill any saltwater diseases. But I noticed that his tail fin keeps deteriorating slowly so I thought he had fin rot, his fins are slightly red on the edges like their irritated. I've been treating the tank with Maracyn Oxy but that doesn't seem to be working. He still is eating great!! Please let me know if you've seen this thanks.
a6ysydy4.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OUCH- Raise that salinity ASAP to at least 1.020 which will still keep parasites in check. That is likely your problem- Salinity. Mine is in a tank a salinity of 1.023 and Happy. Consider a UV sterilizer which will assist in parasite and bacteria control. The are easy to install and do wonders for your system.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been running him in the QT for 6 weeks? I'd say your safe to let him out and run now. If he's eating ok I'd say your fine. Next time, if you QT a fish, don't run half Hypo and a Med at the same time, thats a bit much for a fish.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the salt up slowly..... Going up is much harder on fish then bringing it down. Have you checked your ph? Bringing the salt down can lower the ph dramatically.

OP
OP
jfenton954

jfenton954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been medicating the whole time just last 3 weeks but haven't really seen any improvement the fins are still a little red on the edges.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get any better pictures of the fish? I also recommend bringing the salinity back up slowly. But I would continue to keep it in there until it is "healthy". What have you been feeding it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be mostly Algae Sheets, Nori, Romaine and the likes, he is a herbivore.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with slowly raising salinity. One more thought....have you checked ammonia? That can cause redness.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with slowly raising salinity. One more thought....have you checked ammonia? That can cause redness.

When I hear of redness, I think of two things ammonia and bacterial.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking ammonia is a good idea! Foxface are pretty tough fish. I would make sure your water is ok, then maybe think about another medication if you rule any water problems out.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity can also cause a redness.

+1

I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. The fins should not waste away like that. I prefer Kanamycin, personally.

If you are treating for parasites with hyposalinity, it must be 1.009 constantly. SG of 1.015 will do nothing to eliminate parasites. Also note that hyposalinity only affects Cryptocaryon. It will not eliminate Amyloodinium (velvet) or Brooklynella.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back