Sick Male Anthia? Just not swimming....

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video with description is always better. Good shots to hopefully get some help for this guy....
Was fine for the past month....
All the sudden is stuck by a rock...acting weird.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still eating or no? Anthias sometimes like to hide/act reclusive in QT. I didn't notice any real heavy breathing, which is a good thing.

Not sure - when I feed the tank, he acts like he is trying to swim around to get food. Not sure if I have seen him catch a bite or not - he may have in the second video. The weird thing is that he has been out and about, chasing the females and everything in sight for the past 3 weeks before. He just started acting like this a couple days ago.
The bellas were added a little over a week ago.

Now that they are both eating well, I was getting ready to start copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already been treating with focus + general cure soaked foods . . . so switch the general cure to metro?

No, Focus + GC is fine because that already contains metro. But feed for at least 14 consecutive days. I lost a bunch of Bellas until I finally sliced 2-3 dead ones open, and found flagellates in every single one of their gastrointestinal tracts. It was like looking at velvet trophonts, but on the inside. :eek:

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Focus + GC is fine because that already contains metro. But feed for at least 14 consecutive days. I lost a bunch of Bellas until I finally sliced 2-3 dead ones open, and found flagellates in every single one of their gastrointestinal tracts. It was like looking at velvet trophonts, but on the inside. :eek:

WOAH!! That's crazy!!
I will keep soaking the food! Wait on copper then? Will the Bellas be ok with copper?
The big one took a LONG time to come out! But he actually came out from under the rock and ate today! It was awesome!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH!! That's crazy!!
I will keep soaking the food! Wait on copper then? Will the Bellas be ok with copper?
The big one took a LONG time to come out! But he actually came out from under the rock and ate today! It was awesome!

You can mix copper + metro, and Bellas should be OK with that mix.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop Looks like one of them has a little string of white poop hanging out. That means either internal flagellates or intestinal worms (cestodes). Food soaking API General Cure is the way to go.

Have a fresh batch soaking now!
Going to start Cooper tomorrow too unless you think I should wait until the parasites clear up a bit first.

PS - again - you are awesome and thank you so much! Always learning!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would running prazi so they are getting a good dose of help be overkill with the food treatment?

You would be better off dosing GC - as that already contains prazi + metro. Just don't dose straight metro 48 hours before or after dosing GC. To avoid overdosing metronidazole.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - he seems to be getting back to "normal" . Finally swimming around a little bit! I did the 2 doses of GC to the water along with the food continuing to be soaked in it. I did a dose to treat 40 gallons, waited 48 hours, did another dose, waited 48 hours then did a 50% ish water change. Still running just regular filters, not carbon though.
I feel like it wasn't a long enough treatment - but maybe that is just because I am used to copper and prazi, which are so much longer?
I am sure it was the internal parasite. No signs of ich, but you know that I like to treat for precaution. Do I need to make sure all GC is removed before I treat with copper?

Bellas and Anthias are all doing really well and eating! No signs of external parasites at all so far.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop Is he eating? If so, I would discontinue dosing the water with GC and just mix it in with his food everyday.

You can go ahead and dose copper, even with GC in the water. A 25-50% water change beforehand never hurts. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you have to target feed gobies (I use my wife's turkey baster :p) to entice a feeding response and be sure they are getting enough to eat. At least until they figure out how to take food from the water column.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop Is he eating? If so, I would discontinue dosing the water with GC and just mix it in with his food everyday.

You can go ahead and dose copper, even with GC in the water. A 25-50% water change beforehand never hurts. ;)

I am pretty sure I saw him take a couple nibbles tonight - but not a lot - not like he was - he was eating everything in sight. Should I do a 3rd round of GC for good measure?

As far as the gobys go, I didn't really know they needed coached to get food from the water column! But the Bellas caught on pretty quick. It took about 4 days for the big guy to come out from under a rock at all. I have a little dish of sand in there for them, which they have found and have been enjoying.

@4FordFamily - YES!! @Humblefish has been my hero and helped me save many fish! Actaully - all of you have. And the fun part is that I have some people in my local facebook group that have been struggling with disease, and I have been able to link them to some of his articles and give advice that I have learned from you all! Helped one guy save most of his tank - he got hit with velvet. Knowing what I learned from saving my McCosker, I was able to pass it on. :) Love it! I am actually really sad - this is my last round of QT for a very long time - the tank will pretty much be fully stocked - - - and I enjoy the process and the challenge.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do a 3rd round of GC for good measure?

Not a bad idea, but do a large WC to remove any residuals from previous dosages of GC. Remember, their kidneys & liver have to filter every medication you dose (just like with humans.)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back