Sick mixed reef

matthew.ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first post. Sorry its under these circumstances.

While on vacation my ato failed (my house sitter was oblivious) and the sump ran very low (heard gurgling when I walked in the door that evening). I added RO to the tank a few gallons at a time over 24 hours until my I got down to .26. I also noticed what appeared to be stress ick on my tang - but it was eating and acting normally. I dug out my qt tank and made for my lfs the following morning to grab supplies. By the time I got home the tang died. :-(

The next day I noticed that my Fox Face has some dots on him - but they don't appear to be white (see pics). I haven't adding anything to the tank in weeks (3-4). My tank has fish, soft corals, nems, a star fish, assorted shrimp/crabs and snails. Its been very healthy.

The Fox Face is acting normally, I think, though perhaps he is spending more time at the top of the tank in the flow. My qt is up and running and Ive got meds on hand for bacteria and parasite. I'm not sure if it needs to go to qt or not and if so, what to treat with. Any help would be wonderful, my kids were so bummed about our tang and I'm hoping to not lose another fish, esp the FF as he has been with us so long.

Thank you SO much.

IMG_0619.PNG

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 10.22.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 10.23.58 PM.png
screenshot-2024-02-27-at-10-22-07-pm-png.3538553

IMG_0620.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 10.22.07 PM.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in the other thread, to keep all of the info together, I'm linking the other thread about this issue here:

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to consider having a LFS person come in to look at things once or twice during vacation.
Could pay off in the long term. Are you using Uv sterilization? Running it a few hours a night can really help knock down parasites and diseases in tang tanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back