Sick or hurt or what is the issue with this cleaner Skunk Shrimp?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
See the video, the shrimp has algae looking stuff growing on it .. what cud that be?

At end of video you will see my Gem tang take swipe at it and almost plucked the whisker from root.

Can tank be shrimp-killer? Or he was eating algae on its whisker or he plucked at sick shrimp?

The shrimps and fishes been together for over 1 year. Most corals and rocks not moved in last 1 year either. Tank been up for 5 years and water very stable .. no meds no disease.

I dod loose 3 cleaner shrimps and all (4) pepermint shrimps n last 3 weeks ... others just vanished completely (no shell remaining either) i never saw anyone swipe at shrimps before. I had 1 melnerous and 1 hawk fish but I moved them out of tank 1 week back. This cleaner shrimp is last shrimp in tank.

Should I move the shrimp in an isolation box (in main tank) or don't stress it ... or will it not make it (with whisker root pulled)

I have a 9 inch by 5 inch by 4 inch isolation box ... catching the shrimp in rock/ fosh/ coral crowded tank can be hard and may hurt the shrimp .. but wanted to check ..

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the video, the shrimp has algae looking stuff growing on it .. what cud that be?

At end of video you will see my Gem tang take swipe at it and almost plucked the whisker from root.

Can tank be shrimp-killer? Or he was eating algae on its whisker or he plucked at sick shrimp?

The shrimps and fishes been together for over 1 year. Most corals and rocks not moved in last 1 year either. Tank been up for 5 years and water very stable .. no meds no disease.

I dod loose 3 cleaner shrimps and all (4) pepermint shrimps n last 3 weeks ... others just vanished completely (no shell remaining either) i never saw anyone swipe at shrimps before. I had 1 melnerous and 1 hawk fish that i sold as guess. This cleaner shrimp is last shrimp in tank.

Should I move the shrimp in an isolation box (in main tank) or don't stress it ... or will it not make it (with whisker root pulled)

I have a 9 inch by 5 inch by 4 inch isolation box ... catching the shrimp in rock/ fosh/ coral crowded tank can be hard and may hurt the shrimp .. but wanted to check ..
Can you upload that to youtube and post the link? Most cant see the video in this form

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At 4:46 pm EST i was shooting video to gather opinion from experts here t9nfindnout what this "brown algae looking stuff is.

Here is the video:

Unfortunately I saw the Gem Tang attack the shrimp live on camera. Shrimp and Tang separated
.. i went off for a few and came back at 6 and there was no sign of shrimp (like othera).

I looked hard and see whiskers popping out of the CSB. I am guessing it did not kill, it likely wud have eaten floating remnants...

What does your experience say,
1. What was algae looking growth on Shrimp
2. Why did the (well fed) Gem tang attack a well fed large (3 inch) Cleaner shrimp?
3. I have lost 4 other cleaner shrimp and 4 pepermint shrimps. All lived eith fishes for 1 year.
4. Who ate the shrmps (Nem looks like cleaned up, at least).

Any other thoughts?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When was your last water change. It is possible that you have an iodine deficiency in your tank. Tough to dose iodine as there aren’t any tests that I know of, but they quit cleaning themselves as the get close to molting. But they won’t molt if not enough iodine present. Try doing a water change and see what happens.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I chnage 25% water every 2-3 weeks

Any thoughts to my rest of confusion/ questions?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I chnage 25% water every 2-3 weeks

Any thoughts to my rest of confusion/ questions?
My best guess is that the Tang hit him because of the algae. The algae if that’s what it is, is a problem. They keep themselves immaculate, so not cleaning itself tells me it is either sick, or needing to molt and unable for whatever reason. And it’s iodide I think not iodine. That frequent of water changes should be sufficient. What brand is salt do you use?

As for your other questions, the only reason to isolate would be to keep the fish from attacking it so if they are going at it a lot I would. As for the Quaker gone, it will return with the molt I think as claws and legs are regenerated. I don’t know how old the shrimp is, and don’t know their life span off the top of my head.

I would look up what a shrimp needs to molt and see if there is anything missing parameter wise? Like pH salinity calcium etc out of norms. I had one that wouldn’t molt and I did regular water changes prior to the issue, and did a water change and it molted that night.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use 2 salt mix for each water change
Instant Ocean
Read sea or others

I see CSB spitting out the skeleton/ shell ..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At 4:46 pm EST i was shooting video to gather opinion from experts here t9nfindnout what this "brown algae looking stuff is.

Here is the video:

Unfortunately I saw the Gem Tang attack the shrimp live on camera. Shrimp and Tang separated
.. i went off for a few and came back at 6 and there was no sign of shrimp (like othera).

I looked hard and see whiskers popping out of the CSB. I am guessing it did not kill, it likely wud have eaten floating remnants...

What does your experience say,
1. What was algae looking growth on Shrimp
2. Why did the (well fed) Gem tang attack a well fed large (3 inch) Cleaner shrimp?
3. I have lost 4 other cleaner shrimp and 4 pepermint shrimps. All lived eith fishes for 1 year.
4. Who ate the shrmps (Nem looks like cleaned up, at least).

Any other thoughts?

Looks like tang trying to pick the algae off shrimp, and being a cleaner, im surprised shrimp has algae on it.
Shrimp (I may be wrong) appears to be egg-bound and I believe I saw a parrotfish in tank who would definitely eat the shrimp

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like tang trying to pick the algae off shrimp, and being a cleaner, im surprised shrimp has algae on it.
Shrimp (I may be wrong) appears to be egg-bound and I believe I saw a parrotfish in tank who would definitely eat the shrimp
This parrotfish is 100% model citizen

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone has pictures or clips of sick cleaner shrimp or wit any similar outgrowth

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read o a similar situation with a skunk cleaner shrimp with algae on it. It was suggested it may be due to lo iodide. The OP had just done a icp and checked and indeed it was low. She was going to dose low amounts of iodine. I don’t remember if she updated. I agree your fish is going after the algae on the shrimp and not the shrimp. Life span is 2-21/ years. I loose mine at a year and a half.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The CSB ate rhe shrimp, do not knownif it killed it or shrimp died naturally (it had been with me for over 1 year) or tank pulling algae hurt/ led to its death ...

I will check my iodine ..

Tang pulling on something incident:

Nems splitting remains:

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang would always pick and rip off the antennas of my skunk cleaners.

Don't know why, but it sometimes happens a fish just nips at the shrimp to death. Moment I saw that video I knew those antennas were shorter than normal and immediately was going to pause and type its the fish bullying it.... then it happened on camera lol.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for sharing.

So now do you have no shrimp or no yellow tang?

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang would always pick and rip off the antennas of my skunk cleaners.

Don't know why, but it sometimes happens a fish just nips at the shrimp to death. Moment I saw that video I knew those antennas were shorter than normal and immediately was going to pause and type its the fish bullying it.... then it happened on camera lol.
You're definitely right, those are weirdly short feelers.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
These fishes were together for very long time ... several successful molts too.

I now do not have any shrimp... will add cleaner and pepermint again months later after solving this mystery!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back