Sick Royal Gramma

Mbartoloni7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to feed my royal gramma and noticed he had this red inflammation on one side. Seems like it might be a fungus. Tankmates are fine. He is small so I wouldn’t be opposed to removing him and treating him in a separate tank.

Will post water parameters when I have a chance to test them. Tank is currently a FOWLR that I slowly making a reef.

82C83814-488C-4543-9F73-AD0ACA031C16.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

His fin is fairly rough. Who are his tank mates. I am wondering if it is aggression and he has a wound.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Torn fins could be aggression from other tank mates that nipped on his fin, but it also can suggest a bacterial infection. I had an emperor Angelfish juvenile that had the same issue and treated him with an antibiotic and it went away. Also the red inflammation is a strong indication that it is a bacterial infection. Which could have been developed from an injury.

OP
OP
M

Mbartoloni7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking you are both right. Tankmates are 2 black Ice Snowflake Clowns and a Blue Reef Chromis. It’s probably the clownfish. I haven’t seen too much aggression when I am around, but it may be an issue when the lights are off. I’ll probably grab a 10 gal tomorrow and set-up a hospital tank using some media from the existing tank. Do you think general cure will help? I know it has metro and praziquantel in it so it covers alot of basis. The fish is still eating well, so I am hopeful.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If it is an aggression issue. Separating the fish should do the trick and the fish's fin should recover on its own and no need for general cure. If it is a bacterial infection separation will not solve the fins issue and only will stress the fish to chase it and catch it. I would be still concerned about the red inflammation, any cuts or scrapes can get infected.

OP
OP
M

Mbartoloni7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated photo. Picked up a 10gal. I will move them and monitor them in there. I think I’ll need to pick up some bacterial meds. Any recommendations? Redness seems to have gone down though so there is a positive.

9611CE12-7C9E-49E7-AA2D-E51E7721B19D.jpeg 0DA3DB9D-E392-4349-A280-905A6AB23813.jpeg

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you will need any bacterial meds. It just looks like he was nipped at by the clownfish and just need to be separated for a little bit until he recovers.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't really tell from the picture but I think he is growing some of his bitten fin. If that is the case then separation would be enough. If his symptoms is same or worsening then definitely treat. I would have the medication on hand just in case of an emergency.

OP
OP
M

Mbartoloni7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to thank all of you for your support. It looks he is all healed, and I have been keeping him separated. I’m going to wait until he puts some size on before trying to add him back to the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back