Sick tang

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang my diagnosed with brook and internal parasites by memebers 4 days ago.

He is doing MUCH worse today as his whole bottom is white.

I bought and medicated right away. Heres what i did.

Dip in paraguard
10g qt with Metroplex and Gen Cure in water

Also feeding food soaked in gen cure and focus.

Can/should i dip him again? Anything else i can be do doing
20190330_053217.jpeg
20190330_053218.jpeg
20190330_053226.jpeg
20190330_053857.jpeg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was fighting a book outbreak about a year ago after adding some snails to the tank. I was finally able to cure the fish using @Humblefish 's recommendations: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

Good luck

BTW (fish I was treating with CP were engineer gobies as well as some other fish species in the tank)

Last edited:
OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are right. It's a LAST resort. I'm trying to remember who used it successfully on their tang. @4FordFamily , was it you? If not, do you remember which member used it successful or can you recommended an alternate treatment he has not tried yet?
In the meantime, @Humblefish has a great list of meds and what they work on here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/

Edit: I found the article. Posted in case others view the thread. CP should ONLY be used as a last ditch effort when all else has failed IMHO and I would ramp up as slowly as possible to medical level and use at the lowest effective strength as CP has quite a large low to high dosage recommendation: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/my-regal-tang-and-chloroquine-phosphate.370/

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are right. It's a LAST resort. I'm trying to remember who used it successfully on their tang. @4FordFamily , was it you? If not, do you remember which member used it successful or can you recommended an alternate treatment he has not tried yet?
In the meantime, @Humblefish has a great list of meds and what they work on here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/
Nope it wasn’t me, I don’t remember who used it successfully on hippo tangs. I always defer to copper for tangs, the vast majority handle copper power at 1.75 quite well.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope it wasn’t me, I don’t remember who used it successfully on hippo tangs. I always defer to copper for tangs, the vast majority handle copper power at 1.75 quite well.
Thanks for the reply.

I originally purchased Cupramine from my lfs to treat the tang but was recommened the other meds so i did that instead.

Its only been 3 days in the medicated qt.

Is it to late to switch to cupramine?

Can i just add it to my medicated qt or do i need fresh water?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I originally purchased Cupramine from my lfs to treat the tang but was recommened the other meds so i did that instead.

I misunderstood what we are treating, sorry I was getting my kids dressed.

Well, that fish is very thin, that isn’t helping. I suspect that’s the underlying root issue. I also cannot see ich or velvet on the fish but I’d say it’s likely just because of the state of the distribution system. Unfortunately I don’t think your prognosis is good based solely on the sunken stomach.

You say it has been eating?

What you’re treating with now will treat brook but if the fish doesn’t have strength to fight anymore due to the malnutrition indicated (from internal parasites or not eating) the best you can hope for is that it starts eating a lot of food and ASAP...

Have you checked for ammonia? An ammonia alert badge is a good move. Ammonia will quickly kill in QT so I always recommend biospira and am ammonia alert badge to monitor how well the biospira performed :)

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misunderstood what we are treating, sorry I was getting my kids dressed.

Well, that fish is very thin, that isn’t helping. I suspect that’s the underlying root issue. I also cannot see ich or velvet on the fish but I’d say it’s likely just because of the state of the distribution system. Unfortunately I don’t think your prognosis is good based solely on the sunken stomach.

You say it has been eating?

What you’re treating with now will treat brook but if the fish doesn’t have strength to fight anymore due to the malnutrition indicated (from internal parasites or not eating) the best you can hope for is that it starts eating a lot of food and ASAP...

Have you checked for ammonia? An ammonia alert badge is a good move. Ammonia will quickly kill in QT so I always recommend biospira and am ammonia alert badge to monitor how well the biospira performed :)
Yes fish has been eating great since i got him.

Here is the orignal video where it was thought to be brook.

I didn't know he was thin maybe I am not feeding him enough. I will increase the food amount right away.

Should i give him the food soaked in general cure or regular? Im feeding brine shrimp

I do have an ammonia badge and i will check out what biospira is now.

Thank you again for your time.

Screenshot_20190326-132732_Video%20Player.jpeg
Screenshot_20190326-132723_Video%20Player.jpeg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think probably brook and I definitely see internal parasites I’d continue course. Ammonia is my suspicion.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I would say it's too late to switch. CP is risky and should only be used as a last resort. Follow 4FordFamily's advice. You're in good hands with him.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would say it's too late to switch. CP is risky and should only be used as a last resort. Follow 4FordFamily's advice. You're in good hands with him.
Unfortunately I lost him today. I want to type up a post with some questions, just not up for it at the moment.

I did double check ammonia using a api test kit and was normal level.(along with the badge)

Thanks for the help trying to save him everyone.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry he didnt make it.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I lost him today. I want to type up a post with some questions, just not up for it at the moment.

I did double check ammonia using a api test kit and was normal level.(along with the badge)

Thanks for the help trying to save him everyone.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of the tang. Brook is a terrible organism. I have saved a few fish from this pest, but I too lost a hippo tang to it, so I truly feel your heartache. This is the scourge that caused me to change my fish quarantine practices to all sick tank practices. Any fish I get now goes right into CP or copper. I no longer mess around.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of the tang. Brook is a terrible organism. I have saved a few fish from this pest, but I too lost a hippo tang to it, so I truly feel your heartache. This is the scourge that caused me to change my fish quarantine practices to all sick tank practices. Any fish I get now goes right into CP or copper. I no longer mess around.
Thank you .

Im going with the same approach just hit the qt with copper right away. No more t2t

I also am going to purchase from online instead of my LFS.

I tried to get help from them on how to treat and they just seemeed annnoyed and inconvenienced. They told me its normal for people to buy 10 fish and 3 die.

This tang came from their large display with many other hippo tangs. So i guess all the fish they sell are infected.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you .

Im going with the same approach just hit the qt with copper right away. No more t2t

I also am going to purchase from online instead of my LFS.

I tried to get help from them on how to treat and they just seemeed annnoyed and inconvenienced. They told me its normal for people to buy 10 fish and 3 die.

This tang came from their large display with many other hippo tangs. So i guess all the fish they sell are infected.

Unfortunately, the two LFS near me also sell fish that are sick. Both run low doses of copper to keep the pests at bay long enough to sell the fish to unwary customers. Please know that online vendors can and do sell fish with illnesses too. Many of them also run copper in their fish tanks, but not at high enough doses or long enough treatments to kill the pathogens. There was a time last year when I couldn't get a fish in without it developing velvet within a day or two. For my peace of mind (I will never knowingly put a sick fish in my 180 gal tank again), I treat all new fish. I may not be able to knock every disease out with copper, CP, and PraziPro, but it won't be for lack of trying. I know there are others here that don't believe in proactively treating fish and they have good luck keeping fish that way by keeping their fishes' immune systems in top shape. I just don't have the same luck or expertise I guess. I treat, and I don't deal with ich, velvet, or brook anymore...at least not for a year now...knock on wood.

I hope you don't give up on owning a hippo tang - if your tank is large enough. They are truly a "Regal" fish. Mine has more than doubled in size since I got it last year. Sorry about the bad pic. I'm not the best photographer and I was treating an outbreak of Spirulina in my tank at the time. That problem has too since been taken care of...thankfully. I got my Hippo from NYAquatics. It came to me fat and seemingly healthy.

I also bought a Red Sea Raccoon Butterfly from them. The butterfly succumbed to an infection after 15 days but the Hippo tang ate like a champ all through copper treatment. Still, I would buy from this online seller again. Here's the link if you're interested. https://www.nyaquatic.com/tangs-surgeonfish/

20190331_230522.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back