Sick Yellow Tang w/ pictures - ID please!

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help would be appreciated! This has been a slow development with my yellow tang. Is it bacterial? Fungal? An attack from a tank mate? Stress? He approaches my Cora banded shrimp but I've never seen any attacks.

Tank mates are all healthy and happy. Everyone eats except the tang really..

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448754035.758459.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448754045.861719.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448754062.394640.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448754072.377103.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) to me. I would Suggest adding some Vitamin supplements to your food such as selcon. Also be sure to keep your water quality up and if you're running carbon make sure it is rinsed very very well. Some say poorly rinsed carbon can lead to this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to it being HLLE

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I switched to the BRS dual reactor and my carbon tumbles slightly...sounds like the carbon release into the water could be a culprit. Food quality hadn't changed, my sister, pellets and flakes

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off my carbon/GFO. I have run this for a while but usually in a TLF reactor with better control on flow.

My water quality dropped slightly when adding a few damsels 2 weeks ago but have since done WC. I typically do weekly 20g water changes (roughly 150g system).

Added a nori strip, don't usually see the tang eat it though, not to say he doesn't, I just haven't seen it happen.

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Rox 0.8 carbon, have always used a titanium ground probe and feed nori/high quality frozen often. I've never had a fish develop HLLE in 35+ years unless I bought him that way and got a good deal because of it. ;)

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update everyone. I made an adjustment to my dual reactor and really tamped down the carbon with additional foam padding to ensure zero grinding/motion and also removed the two carbon bags that were in the sump weirs. I also turned off the reactor for about a week just to be triple safe, likely overkill but hey..

The gang did not get worse in terms of more drastic lacerations but was not eating and seemed to be 'gasping' for air with rapid breathing. That went on for some time.

She (I call them all she) looks to be healing slowly and for the first time she responded to some nori and was eating! We may not be out of the woods yet but I am feeling pretty good! I want all my livestock healthy and happy so this is great.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450565218.292630.jpg

Thanks again!
AA

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back