Sickest chalice I've ever seen and owned!!!

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke on the phone tonight with Jack at Vivid, and he told me that the echino has been a very fast grower for them. He also told they sold 10 frags of the Vivid Echino today and are now sold out. Probably thanks to this thread.
Dave

Well, one difference (and a huge one) is that by the looks of amore169's piece the Vivid is a super slow grower. That is definitely not the case with the PB. My chuck is like Marvins, after fragging it it has already healed over completely and then some in a weeks time. That would be a huge deal to me.

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i heard through a source that there is someone out there that says he's going to tell everyone that will listen that the PB is the same exact coral as the Vivid just because he didn't like the price it would cost him to get a frag. So there might be a bug in some peoples ear right now fueling the fire. Bottom line i think is this. It was a different colony all together. Sure, they might be exactly the same, but nobody that is selling it has ever said it wasn't. Only way to be sure is to get a colony of each growing together side by side in the same system i guess. There are so many chalices that look similar i wonder why these to are being compared so closely knowing they came in at two different times.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish I could find a PB frag to buy! :cry: I hate that I missed the boat on one from FnF. Maybe in a few months, Matt?
Dave

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look very similar but I know for a fact that Vivid had their colony way before the 3 SD peeps got theirs. Is there a chance they came from the same place? Im sure wierder has happened but I highly doubt they originally came from the same wild piece. If I recall, Dave, owner of Vivid, said he aquired it in a wild shipment. I might see him Saturday and if so, Ill ask him...

That being said, IMO, the captive growth on the Vivid looks exactly the same as the PB. I hope he doesn't mind but heres Pookies Vivid colony pic...

IMG_3203.jpg

Ill post my frag of the vivid tomorrow...

Yeah, i heard through a source that there is someone out there that says he's going to tell everyone that will listen that the PB is the same exact coral as the Vivid just because he didn't like the price it would cost him to get a frag. So there might be a bug in some peoples ear right now fueling the fire. Bottom line i think is this. It was a different colony all together. Sure, they might be exactly the same, but nobody that is selling it has ever said it wasn't. Only way to be sure is to get a colony of each growing together side by side in the same system i guess. There are so many chalices that look similar i wonder why these to are being compared so closely knowing they came in at two different times.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the green and orange streaked eyes, thats a pretty serious detailed similarity...

Are they 'lineaged' to the same colony? No.

Do they look the exact same? I guess you can be the judge.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW the vivid echino has been available for a long time from Vivid and now it's worth more than it's weight in gold...amazing what a post can do for a corals popularity

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the green and orange streaked eyes, thats a pretty serious detailed similarity...

Are they 'lineaged' to the same colony? No.

Do they look the exact same? I guess you can be the judge.

This is the best pic I have right now of the colony. (I know you all have probably seen it already) I'll try to get a closer pic as soon as I can. I didn't notice any streaking in the eyes. That's pretty cool. I'll pull out the mesoscope this evening and see what I can see.

Picture063-1.jpg

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, when I saw theirs (I saw a big piece, not just the frag that Kenny bought) I thought it was the same coral. Tough to tell exact color of pink though, since they had different lighs than I run. However, I've never seen them side by side, and I certainly wasn't paying attention to subtleties like the green growth edge thatk the rest of you chalice freaks would have noticed :D :D so I'm not 100% sure one way or the other....

Give me a piece and I'll tell you if they are the same or not :hammer:

I'll try and get an updated shot of the Vivid soon.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, orange stripes, eh? I'll have to look at my colony eyes....I don't recall, and can't see any in the pics I have online. Part of my issue is that all my eyes look uber old, so they are totally green. AFAIK it's the new growth that gets the orange in the eyes....

Last edited:

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of the two in this latest debate ;)

BTW Kev, I love the new avatar :D

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say Vivid. The frag I got looks like yours mark :D

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be cheating if I guessed :D

Looks really sweet, Mark!

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at Marvins picture, the orange streaks appear in the eyes of his PB. Maybe its the captive growth on both that shows both colors...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%

Back