Signs of a dying clam?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what the signs of a dying clam is because I moved my rockwork today to get a 48 hour old decaying fish out and he hasn’t been the same since. I’m wondering if this is just due to the moving of rocks or what as before that he was also stressed but then yesterday he was just fine and had a full mantle extension.
image.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are weird creatures. Sometimes they look great and next morning gone. Sometimes they can live for months and months not looking good and die. I however have not had one that pulled in its mantle beyond the outside shell while also gaping that survived past a week.
I cannot tell what yours is doing. White light would help. Looks like a derasa and they can tear themselves, but that is when they get much larger.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are weird creatures. Sometimes they look great and next morning gone. Sometimes they can live for months and months not looking good and die. I however have not had one that pulled in its mantle beyond the outside shell while also gaping that survived past a week.
I cannot tell what yours is doing. White light would help. Looks like a derasa and they can tear themselves, but that is when they get much larger.
Yeah, this is a deresa and he is tucked away in his shell.
Hope this is a bit better
image.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Biggest thing to look for is new gorwth on the shell. If you can move hand above light to get it to retract a little more, look at shell and make sure where mantle was is bright white. If it is not, then it is not growing. That is not good, if that is the case. if it is bright white, then it is growing and that is a good sign.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
sorry about your clam. "fingers crossed it turns around!

I also just read you signature for the first time .........
"For those who read this… I just wasted your time ;)
And mine writing this… oh well!"

CLEVER and it made me chuckle. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing to look for is new gorwth on the shell. If you can move hand above light to get it to retract a little more, look at shell and make sure where mantle was is bright white. If it is not, then it is not growing. That is not good, if that is the case. if it is bright white, then it is growing and that is a good sign.
Where the mantle was at that photo it showed bring white, the top it’s hard to say but it definitely looks white.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the mantle was at that photo it showed bring white, the top it’s hard to say but it definitely looks white.
Also the outside of the shell at the top it shows some nice white but I assume that doesn’t really say much?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about your clam. "fingers crossed it turns around!

I also just read you signature for the first time .........
"For those who read this… I just wasted your time ;)
And mine writing this… oh well!"

CLEVER and it made me chuckle. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Thanks, that was my aim haha. If I can lighten anyones day with that then I’m glad :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good. If it was just moved, I would just watch it for a bit and see if it opens back up. Depnding on flow and light, it might take a bit to adjust.

Just watch for gaping and watch for pinches in the mantle. If you see either, report back and we can go from there.

For reference, gaping clam is not like a gaping nem. Below is an image from google foo search that shows what a gaping clam looks like.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.55.23 PM.png

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good. If it was just moved, I would just watch it for a bit and see if it opens back up. Depnding on flow and light, it might take a bit to adjust.

Just watch for gaping and watch for pinches in the mantle. If you see either, report back and we can go from there.

For reference, gaping clam is not like a gaping nem. Below is an image from google foo search that shows what a gaping clam looks like.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.55.23 PM.png
I assume his outtake filter will be wide open aswell?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume his outtake filter will be wide open aswell?
When they are "gaping", they look like the pic and all holes are wide open. (man that sound horrible)

Yours looks more ticked off than anything, but clams are weird creatures and I have had them melt for no reason at all.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are "gaping", they look like the pic and all holes are wide open. (man that sound horrible)

Yours looks more ticked off than anything, but clams are weird creatures and I have had them melt for no reason at all.
Yeah, I can understand why it would be ticked off as I did move it a few hours ago.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this picture right after moving him? If so, look at it in an hour or two. If still retracted so much, I am sorry. That would not be promising.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this picture right after moving him? If so, look at it in an hour or two. If still retracted so much, I am sorry. That would not be promising.
That’s annoying, the photos were taken as lights were going to begin dimming though, maybe that’s why?

I didn’t just move him unfortunately and moved him a few hours before taking the photo.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hard to tell. If he is out in full light, we will know which way it is trending.
Fingers crossed, I’ll get a photo of him tomorrow when lights are at their height of white. I was so happy about getting this guy, hope I don’t happen to end up with a dead clam…
I keep getting told that a small fish can’t spike in a mature small tank this easily but I keep second guessing it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gaping in and of itself isn't a disease so to speak. It's more of a sign of stress before the clam is going downhill.
It could be something stuck inside his byssal opening or in many cases, clams will let go of their byssal threads (stringy white fiber things that hold the clam in place) if in a poor position or poor parameters are present

kent78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering what the signs of a dying clam is because I moved my rockwork today to get a 48 hour old decaying fish out and he hasn’t been the same since. I’m wondering if this is just due to the moving of rocks or what as before that he was also stressed but then yesterday he was just fine and had a full mantle extension.
image.jpg
clam's mantle retracted was oneof the sign that clam was under stress, if keep it this way foe more than a week, most likely it will die, check to see if ph swing a lot also kh, if some fishs consttantly bothers it also observe it see if any pest on it, nh4 level...ect. move it to lower lighting n flow area to be less stress, hope it can make it!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back