Silicone on Glass Tank

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

I have a custom rimless tank i am about to move to a different house and i noticed a few years ago that there is a seam at the top front left of the tank where the silicone has separated from the glass. the air bubble in the silicon is above the water level when the tank is full so it hasnt really been a big issue as of yet. i am mostly concerned about future issues. it only goes down about 1.5 inches from the very top and it hasnt gotten any worse the past few years. I put a piece of big gorilla tape around that side and then marked it to make sure it wasnt getting any worse. It could be the case that this has been like this since i received the tank as new but i do not have any way to verify that.

I am wondering if there is an easy way to just put more silicon there and seal it? i want to use this tank to connect into a new system and be used as a frag tank but i am nervous about having a potential disaster.

thanks,

Nick

Last edited:

samb5590

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common response I hear for anything glass/silicone related is to fix it now to not worry about it later. Better safe to fix it now, than have your entire tank on the floor

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common response I hear for anything glass/silicone related is to fix it now to not worry about it later. Better safe to fix it now, than have your entire tank on the floor
could i technically just run a bead of silicon from the top to about 3 inches below where the air bubble is? since its above the water level i would think this would cover it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back