Simon's 450

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, it’s been a while since I did an update. Haven’t been on R2R all that much over the last 9 months. Haven’t lost interest, but definitely had other priorities. 2021 was a tough year for the tank. The denitrator I installed traded high nitrates for high sulfates. Not 100% sure that’s the reason, but a number of the large colonies I had have experienced partial or complete die off. May also be that the tank is overgrown and really needs a major re-scape ….. something I’ve just not had the motivation to do.

High sulfates have certainly not affected my long tenured magnifica anemone that is just HUGE. Almost 30” in diameter. Split dangit!

Local reefer had his tank split a seam. What a mess! So I have all his tangs and a second magnifica. Lights out now, but I will post some pics tomorrow.
I’m looking forward to seeing the rescape. It will be worth it! :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking forward to seeing the rescape. It will be worth it! :)

Im NOT looking forward to doing it :(. Not an exaggeration that there is probably 200 pounds of old coral skeletons under the growing colonies. Just today I was saying to local reefer buddy of mine that my tank is Rome. New stuff built on top of old on top of old …..

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time here. I need to catch up. I am super curious about your denitrator/sulfate issue. I'll read up.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my now ex-wife’s maiden name with a 1 instead of the l. Started using it many years ago …. I don’t use it anymore for new boards, but think I’m stuck with it here.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time here. I need to catch up. I am super curious about your denitrator/sulfate issue. I'll read up.
I don’t know for sure that was the problem, but the timing was certainly suspicious.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my now ex-wife’s maiden name with a 1 instead of the l. Started using it many years ago …. I don’t use it anymore for new boards, but think I’m stuck with it here.
I thought it was “calorie” but with a 1 instead of the L

I think you can use “Ca1orie” for new forums :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few recent pictures .....

IMG_3391.jpg
IMG_3392.jpg
IMG_3393.jpg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, those pictures stink. What I get for using an old iPad. Will try to take better ones.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just really in maintenance mode. I’ve rather lost the passion for the hobby. Thought about selling the whole thing off, but that seemed like an overreaction. Last son goes off to college this Fall, so once it’s just me and the dog will see if some extra time reignites interest.

Right now, my main issue is that the purple magnifica has gotten huge. I reckon it’s close to 30” across when fully inflated. Refuses to split. Lays waste to anything to touches.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just really in maintenance mode. I’ve rather lost the passion for the hobby. Thought about selling the whole thing off, but that seemed like an overreaction. Last son goes off to college this Fall, so once it’s just me and the dog will see if some extra time reignites interest.

Right now, my main issue is that the purple magnifica has gotten huge. I reckon it’s close to 30” across when fully inflated. Refuses to split. Lays waste to anything to touches.
That’s really sad. Do you know what tipped the iceberg that made you lose the passion?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this @ca1ore. You’ve been an awesome guy to have for so long. I hope you will find what you need to reignite your passion in the hobby as I would hate (and many of us will) to see you leave.

Off-topic, you still have your Asfur? How long have you had it and do they get large in captivity?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you thought about cutting it?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not entirely surprising... and I say this from my own personal perspective. I've been keeping fish tanks for over 30 years and I can only remember about 1 year in that period where I didn't have at least one box with water in it. My love for the hobby is what gave me the desire to go to graduate school and ultimately get a PhD in aquatic natural resources. Still, I find that my desire waxes and wanes but it's almost entirely because of outside factors (sometimes it's literally just the OUTSIDE, like I want to be outside). A few times, I've made large changes to the system, inside and out of the tank itself. That leads to new ideas and ignites the desire to start new "projects." That could be all you need... a change. Maybe it's time to remove the magnifica? Maybe just a massive trimming? Only you can answer those questions. Hoping you can come to a happy conclusion even if that means tearing down. [I have considered tearing down but it would mean I'm getting fun car or moving out of country. Ha!]

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there.. The fall will hopefully reignite the passion you’ve always had… although we never have met, I followed your progress and success over the years.. I’ve been a hobbyist over 40 yrs and had a pause and lost interest… it lasted 18 months and then the fever came back… that was 20 yrs ago. Maybe you have a little Covid fatigue like so many of us..

Stay connected,

Skip

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back