OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to do it on my phone ..... not well apparently. Video should now be good. Maybe its just me but the 'new' youtube studio is just plain old annoying. Gonna force me to download the app.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! Can you get a still photo of the fish you mean for an id. Or a video that follows just that fish? Couldn't work out which fish you meant.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video .... anyone know what that small fish is with the salmon colored back and cream belly?

This one?
1614026671585.png

My first thought is Macropharyngodon Vivienae

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrumph .... you peoples are just too smart .... or too obsessed LOL. Exactly right!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a really attractive tile next the the anemone for the eggs. Female is gravid so they're coming. Do you think it would help if I wrote 'please lay eggs here' on the tile ..... with a reef-safe sharpie of course? Also important to be polite with clowns. An overly gullible subset of the reefing community seem to think that taping a picture of clowns being hosted by an anemone to the tank is a good way to teach reluctant clowns. Shocking, I know, that I don't .... but this is completely different so if I write the instructions in big letters it's got to work, right!

file-88.jpeg

Last edited:

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you can write in fish dialect... but I hear you are the fish whisperer, so you’ve probably already had that covered..lol

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 1/2 year old Vectra M1 had started to make a clicking sound. I suppose I should have cleaned it at least once :(. It’s a pain to get out (poor design by self), but I took the plunge. Kinda grungy, but now clean and no more clicking. Doubt it will last 20 years like my Iwaki, but still pretty good.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of careening off on a tangent, back in the 1990s when I was fighting with my planted tanks, it always seemed that the interesting plants were mostly bog/marsh dwellers rather than true submersed. Planted a bunch of Anubias in the above vivarium and they’ve done better than they ever did for me under water.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I abandoned the idea. The larger heat exchanger that the vendor in question promised me never materialized despite his claims that it was ‘almost finished. I will no longer do business with him.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kid made a good and persuasive case LOL. What was that line from Jerry Maguire .... you had me at hello ..... For somebody that’s a card carrying skeptic and breaks out in hives at even the hint of a conspiracy theory, I’m just a big ol sucker when it comes to my sons. Baby clowns here we come ... hopefully works out better than the baby Bangai did (zero, nada, zip ...).
Is quoting myself the online version of madness .....

Some most curious developments. We have accumulated the necessary paraphernalia to capture and hopefully raise the clown babies. Has pushed the likely break even $ point to sometime in the next decade but, heck, its fun ..... and I digress. Various internet sources of varying credibility peg hatching at 6-8 days depending on .... well, they’re unclear on that. Anyhoo, last night we attached the vossen larval trap (a pretty ingenious device) to the tank walls as the lights went down. Caught a veritable menagerie of tiny creatures, mysis, copepods and wiggles .... and FISH FRY. Euphoria. Then vossen trap falls off tank walls and fry escape. Less euphoria.

Thing is .... we check the clown eggs and they all still seem to be there. Do a spawn hatch on multiple nights!? Aforementioned various internet sites are silent on that point. So if not clowns, what did we catch. No way to know since they escaped. I’ve lots of damsels so possibly them.

Up goes the vossen tonight, with extra attention paid to ensuring suction cups are properly affixed. Right away we’ve caught something. I thought mysis again, but they are not swimming like that and I think fish fry. But different than the ones from last nights and TINY. Seem too small to be clown fry, but what do I know. We’re going to leave the trap up until 10:30. I’m down in the basement listening to some 70s music because my sons love basketball and I do not, but no howls of chagrin so I assume it hasn’t fallen off tonight.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is quoting myself the online version of madness .....

Some most curious developments. We have accumulated the necessary paraphernalia to capture and hopefully raise the clown babies. Has pushed the likely break even $ point to sometime in the next decade but, heck, its fun ..... and I digress. Various internet sources of varying credibility peg hatching at 6-8 days depending on .... well, they’re unclear on that. Anyhoo, last night we attached the vossen larval trap (a pretty ingenious device) to the tank walls as the lights went down. Caught a veritable menagerie of tiny creatures, mysis, copepods and wiggles .... and FISH FRY. Euphoria. Then vossen trap falls off tank walls and fry escape. Less euphoria.

Thing is .... we check the clown eggs and they all still seem to be there. Do a spawn hatch on multiple nights!? Aforementioned various internet sites are silent on that point. So if not clowns, what did we catch. No way to know since they escaped. I’ve lots of damsels so possibly them.

Up goes the vossen tonight, with extra attention paid to ensuring suction cups are properly affixed. Right away we’ve caught something. I thought mysis again, but they are not swimming like that and I think fish fry. But different than the ones from last nights and TINY. Seem too small to be clown fry, but what do I know. We’re going to leave the trap up until 10:30. I’m down in the basement listening to some 70s music because my sons love basketball and I do not, but no howls of chagrin so I assume it hasn’t fallen off tonight.
Very cool development!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiosity continues. We caught a bunch of fry on the second night/last night. But it still looks as if the clown eggs are still there. Maybe some less than before .... maybe. Hatching over three successive nights seems odd. We shall try again tonight to see. Fry caught last night are so small though; smaller than I’d expect from clowns. Tonight is night #8.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, amazing display! Thanks for documenting it!

What are the dimensions of your 450?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back