OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the tank. Acrylic with integrated external overflow. 63” x 20” x 24”. Approx. 110 gallons. Have to buy another MP40 ... have an older design in the closet but its from 2012. I have enough spare lights and plenty of sand and rocks. 10-12 weeks so I have time to build the light hood and wood trim to match the 450.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the tank.
Same company as before?
I have purchased a new home in Hopewell and will be moving all my tanks shortly. Was considering something larger than my 5’x6’ 500g, but still haven’t pulled the trigger. Thinking to move ‘your’ Mag anemone to my 200g tank to free up space in 500.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, trying American aquarium. Bet that mag is absolutely HUGE by now.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connecting this tank to the rest of the system will not be trivial. Will have to run drains and a return underneath the floor. Fortunately the space below is an external walk space. Will require snaking pipes about six feet which will be a swear worthy task I am sure. Thinking about isolating the tank with a 55 watt UV.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wrestling with how to better protect my fish from the cluster of vortech MP60 at each end of the tank. I tried one of the nem-protect nozzles a while back and concluded that it was no better than the stock nozzle .... and had some notable disadvantages. The challenge is to expand the suction area thus dispersing the intensity of suction. Simply making more, smaller holes won't do anything; you need a much bigger nozzle. Trouble with a bigger nozzle is that it becomes an eyesore. No way around that other than perhaps a more elegant design.

Not suggesting necessarily that my approach is elegant, but it seems to me to be a reasonable balance between suction dispersion and really ugly. Still waiting for the silicone to fully cure to actually test them, but here's what I came up with.

file1-23.jpeg
file2-11.jpeg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here’s the current plan for the addition .....

1. Main pump will be a PanWorld 100px that I have laying around. Should be able to get 400 or so out of it. Only other choice is a PW40. I might try it, but probably underpowered.
2. Lights will be a trio of kessil 360 we that got mothballed when I replaced them with the 360x.
3. Purchased a new MP40QD. I’ll want to attach it to my apex WXM which means I have to futz with the firmware. That never goes well chez Simon.
4. System skimmer, CaRx, etc. will all handle the addition without breaking a sweat.
5. Will see if an additional heater is required in the sump. I’m guessing not, but I have a bunch on hand as needed. Chiller will handle the extra just fine.
6. Feed for the tank will run through a 55 watt TMC UV in an attempt to 'isolate' the tank.

Tank will have an integrated external overflow, so just a grill along the top of the back, no skim box. Kinda wish I’d gone that route with the 450. Never have had a tank where there wasn’t something I wished I’d done differently.

Existing fish that will have glorious space include my longnose black tang, a small Achilles, an even smaller convict and a pair of black/white clowns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just need to build the hood and the hanger.

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Simon, I see your planning another tank! The 450 looks awesome. I’m sure the new one will be just as nice or better!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s certainly the plan LOL. Dreading the day that I end up moving house. It’ll take me a month to move just the tanks.

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my 265 three years ago .. talk about pressure .. logistics etc. if I had to do it again, I’d probably add on to the house.. if I had to move your stuff, I would probably just increase my life insurance and prepare for the big one.. LOL

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case it would be downsizing. Sons will be out of college and me pondering retirement. Not just the tanks either ....each of my stereo speakers weighs over 300 lbs. Oh, my back ....

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my 265 three years ago .. talk about pressure .. logistics etc. if I had to do it again, I’d probably add on to the house.. if I had to move your stuff, I would probably just increase my life insurance and prepare for the big one.. LOL
Lol is right, your comments made me laugh, now that‘s reef pressure.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to add a few more mangrove seedlings and the current 8”x8 cube is too small. Ordered the seedlings, but they got sent USPS which is something of a train wreck (not literally I hope) at the moment.

Although I DID crack the tank, it’s only going to be about half full so I don’t think it’s necessarily a write off. Broke my string of 50 plus holes without a mishap.

What happened with the mangrove order and the 20L? Is it on the back burner due to the 110g tank project?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great suggestion.. Stay where you are. Lol
That’s what my ex always says. They’ll have to drag my cold, lifeless .... well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with the mangrove order and the 20L? Is it on the back burner due to the 110g tank project?

No, installed. Did I fail to post pictures? Mangroves were a bit cranky upon arrival. Still touch and go for a few of them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back