OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, did some more ebay prowling and I think I found what I want. It's labeled as a "Triton method" sump, which it's not since it's running filter socks. Mis-nomenclature aside, the layout seems pretty much dead on to what I was looking at building up.

Skimmer section is 11.25x12" (which leaves ~20" for fuge and return sections) with an justifiable weir to control water level from 7-11". Has room for 2 socks if needed as well as a media tray in the bubble trap. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I suppose it still a good bit cheaper than a half-decent commercial sump which would easily run me $350+.

What do you guys think?

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it just get the silicone that's by the acrylic at home depot. I have used this and the aqueon one and they both hold well even if people say silicone won't hold acrylic

Lear31a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, did some more ebay prowling and I think I found what I want. It's labeled as a "Triton method" sump, which it's not since it's running filter socks. Mis-nomenclature aside, the layout seems pretty much dead on to what I was looking at building up.

Skimmer section is 11.25x12" (which leaves ~20" for fuge and return sections) with an justifiable weir to control water level from 7-11". Has room for 2 socks if needed as well as a media tray in the bubble trap. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I suppose it still a good bit cheaper than a half-decent commercial sump which would easily run me $350+.

What do you guys think?

Looks like a winner. I have bought from him, Good guy.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get told that all the time. But trust me...it holds...

Would you suggest adding strips of acrylic to help hold the baffles in place along with the silicone? Kind of like with your baffle kits?

BTW, finally unpacked your overflow last week... Cannot wait to put this bad boy to work, looks absolutely gorgeous.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest adding strips of acrylic to help hold the baffles in place along with the silicone? Kind of like with your baffle kits?

BTW, finally unpacked your overflow last week... Cannot wait to put this bad boy to work, looks absolutely gorgeous.

It cannot hurt and can only help. They probably aren't needed, but it makes them absolutely bullet proof. I would bet money that if you pulled the baffle into the braces, the tanks walls would break before the baffle let go.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there is the silicone that actually does hold acrylic - use this and no worries:

silicone-plastic-jpg.646488

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then there is the silicone that actually does hold acrylic - use this and no worries:

silicone-plastic-jpg.646488

My concern with that sealant is, at a quick glance it does not mention anything about being food-grade/safe and can potentially leech nasties into the water.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the msds and compare the two varieties (GE1 and the above).

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with that sealant is, at a quick glance it does not mention anything about being food-grade/safe and can potentially leech nasties into the water.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the msds and compare the two varieties (GE1 and the above).

I used this for my sump, 3 months in and no issues.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's in my sump right now

20191012_142305.jpg

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you guys rough up the edges of the acrylic to give silicone something to grab to?

Also I noticed that the description for silicone mentions "for marine use above the waterline".

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, got my baffle kit. Overall, good quality and precise cuts. Unfortunately, one of the baffles with a somewhat of an overly-intricate fish cutout came in damaged. Reaching out to the vendor to get a replacement baffle.

Was looking forward to getting the sump done this weekend, however, it doesn't appear that life had the same idea.

damage.JPG

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GE1 on my acrylic baffles. I bought the Fuji Cube Refugium baffle kit for 40B from Ebay. Make sure that your baffles are not snug to the aquarium. The baffles should be loose and need painters tape to support the position while caulking and waiting for it to cure.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ yes very important. Of that are right sans then down till you have about 1/8 inch of gap on each side.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^ yes very important. Of that are right sans then down till you have about 1/8 inch of gap on each side.

So I did a quick dry fit. While not 100% there's probably 1/8" gap overall (at most) , 1/16 on each side. What's the expansion on these panels once they absorb water?

EDIT: so seems like expansion from water absirbtion is in the neighborhood of 3%. For a 17.5" panel, that's 0.0525 inch (less than 1/16). So I think it should be good...?

If this isn't enough, what would be the best way to widen the gap? Table saw, router, manual sanding (really want to avoid manual sanding lol). I've got an acrylic scoring blade but I don't think it'll be effective at trying to take off 1/8" inch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it seems that the 40B isn't exactly square haha. And is off by about 1/16 on one side.

I bit the bullet and ran the busted baffle through a router table and took off about 1/16 from each side. Worked out pretty good. I think I'm going to run the rest of them through and let the silicone fill in the gap.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back