Simple Question - Sealing Stand Interior Edges

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question that should have a simple answer, but Google is so useless these days that it doesn't seem to understand what I'm asking it to search for...

I'm building a cabinet to hold everything water-change related, including of course water. There's a water container inside of the carcass the cabinet. I'd like to seal the edges of said cabinet so that if water should happen to spill from the container, the water is contained inside of the cabinet (where I can wipe it up) and doesn't drip down between the edges of the cabinet (where I can't). The wood itself is of course finished and sealed as best it can be against water, but I'm not expecting the wood the be waterproof. I'm not worried about waterproofing the wood - I'm worried about sealing the edges.

What would be my best option here - plain aquarium silicone? Some other construction adhesive/sealant? Any silicone? Mostly I'm concerned about whether it would stick to the finished wood (Osma Polyx, if it matters).

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a wood stand, I used white silicone and didntcare about the type. I painted my stand with waterproof/resistend paint then used it. No issues.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lined my stand with frp (fiber reinforced plastic) panels like you use in a commercial kitchen, it has plastic cove pieces that go in the corners. I didn’t install With painters caulk fyi.

IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_0784.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back