Since when have Diamond Gobies been jumpers?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my diamond goby for almost a year now, and hes become a big part of my family. He jumped today, for no reason whatsoever. I've never heard of this happening, before I got him I did tons of research about jumping fish, and Diamond gobies weren't any... Any idea what could have caused him to jump? Its not tank mate issues, he's paired up with 2 of the 6 fish in the tank (not including him), and the other fish are so peaceful. They are 2 juvenile clowns and 2 PJ cardinals. None of them mess with each other - ever. The only invertebrate I can think of that could have caused it is my tiger pistol shrimp, but thats pushing it. He once paired up with my YWG, who's paired with a Tiger pistol shrimp, and then they became a trio. Maybe it could have been my sea urchin, but its like 2 inches wide. Any ideas..?

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish jump, it’s just a matter of time assuming you don’t have a lid. Even with a lid if there’s big enough holes they’ll find it. I’ve had a yasha jump, had a cardinal jump which is a fish that you’d never think would. I’m pretty sure all sw fish will if given an opportunity eventually.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 4 diamond gobies, they have all jumped at one time or more. They’re known jumpers maybe you got lucky for that long but in my experience they always try to jump at some point if they’re being chased or feel a weird vibration on the tank. I legit had to catch one once off the carpet in my guest room with my hands and put him back into the tank. Gave me a heart attack but made it ok.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one jump, never thought he was the one I had to worry abou.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Diamond Gobies jump, but once settled in a tank, jumping is often a sign of trouble. Change rock/decor, they may jump. Something gone afoul in the water column (Ammonia spike?) they jump. Odd vibrations in the room, thunderstorms at night, change a night light setup in the house... they jump. Stick your hand in the tank to place a coral or remove something and they jump. Clean the powerheads, they jump.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a goby jumped out of the tank through a tiny hole on the top cause it got spooked by a hermit crab.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a diamond gobi for about ten minutes. In the time it took me to clean my stuff out and put it away after acclimating it, it jumped. I thought it was hiding in the rocks, but no, it was already "crispifying” on my carpet!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you loss. Carpet Surfing as it is called is common with some fish but will happen with any fish. I will also let you know if you don't have a lid you should get one bc your clowns will jump too. Ive had two clowns jump. One jumped through a lid and weighed the mesh down so he survived. Got a little sunburned on one side but he's fine now. I had another clown who jumped without a lid and he carpet surfed to his death. Any fish will jump some just jump more than others.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Diamond Gobies jump, but once settled in a tank, jumping is often a sign of trouble. Change rock/decor, they may jump. Something gone afoul in the water column (Ammonia spike?) they jump. Odd vibrations in the room, thunderstorms at night, change a night light setup in the house... they jump. Stick your hand in the tank to place a coral or remove something and they jump. Clean the powerheads, they jump.
My guy didnt seem sensitive, he let me pet him.... I have been cleaning algae though, it could be the rocks moving.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 4. Three committed suicide jumping. You have to cover the tank with a hutch and use netting in the back to keep these suckers in the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back