Single 16" Shadow on 240g Tank?

Saltwtrnewby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R friends,

I was hoping to get input from others that are running a single 16" shadow overflow on a larger tank, preferably something around 240g. Running the one overflow would greatly simplify the plumbing and definitely cut down on some of my costs. I am shooting for 5-7 times the turnover, so I don't plan on pushing the overflow towards its max capacity of 2500gph. Is there anyone out there running just one overflow on a tank around this size? If so, could you let me know how it's handling it? Were you able to keep it relatively silent? Any and all thoughts and input is greatly appreciated!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R friends,

I was hoping to get input from others that are running a single 16" shadow overflow on a larger tank, preferably something around 240g. Running the one overflow would greatly simplify the plumbing and definitely cut down on some of my costs. I am shooting for 5-7 times the turnover, so I don't plan on pushing the overflow towards its max capacity of 2500gph. Is there anyone out there running just one overflow on a tank around this size? If so, could you let me know how it's handling it? Were you able to keep it relatively silent? Any and all thoughts and input is greatly appreciated!
Bump!
I'm also wondering the same, although I'm looking at 200G or thereabouts for tank size. I'm looking for around 1200-1500 GPH.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that size tank, I’d be more comfortable going with at least the 20” ghost overflow.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16" Shadow would be perfect for that if it is running at 1500 gph.
The 20" is only used on 3/4" up to 1" tanks. Flow rates are identical on the Shadow and 20" overflow, as they both have 1.5" drains on them.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the larger capacity internal weir box of the 20 inches help with noise and provide greater adjustability at the ranges for higher flow rates?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the larger capacity internal weir box of the 20 inches help with noise and provide greater adjustability at the ranges for higher flow rates?
No. The flow rates are exactly the same and determined by the drain sizes. The only reason why we designed the 20" overflow is that is the minimum size the rear box can be to fit 3 1.5" bulkheads and 1.5" PVC parts. So the front box was made to match. With the bulkheads molded into the rear box of the Shadow it allows us to fit 1.5" drains into the smaller box. The molded u pipes are designed to fit into the same small footprint.

And they are going to be running low flow rates on the above tanks. 1500 gph is nothing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back