Single female lyretail anthias

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of 4 female anthias, and I lost all but 1 of them to uronema. So now I have a little lone female anthias who has decided to be best friends with my clown pair. It’s very odd, but sort of cute and sad, she sleeps with them and hangs out with them all day lol.

I’ve had her for maybe 3 months or so, but she’s still very small (she was TINY when I bought her, currently only about an inch) - will she be ok alone? Or do I need to add others? I’ve read they “do best” in groups which of course was my intention but I’ve clearly had bad luck with these fish (I do quarantine everything), but I guess I don’t really know what that means - is it harmful to their overall well-being? Do I need to add another? Would a different species of anthias be a possibility?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of 4 female anthias, and I lost all but 1 of them to uronema. So now I have a little lone female anthias who has decided to be best friends with my clown pair. It’s very odd, but sort of cute and sad, she sleeps with them and hangs out with them all day lol.

I’ve had her for maybe 3 months or so, but she’s still very small (she was TINY when I bought her, currently only about an inch) - will she be ok alone? Or do I need to add others? I’ve read they “do best” in groups which of course was my intention but I’ve clearly had bad luck with these fish (I do quarantine everything), but I guess I don’t really know what that means - is it harmful to their overall well-being? Do I need to add another? Would a different species of anthias be a possibility?
I had 1 male with 2 females. My male died. The dominant female turned male and eventually died too. Now I'm left with the sole female and she's been ok all alone since June. She seems to be doing ok by herself.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1 male with 2 females. My male died. The dominant female turned male and eventually died too. Now I'm left with the sole female and she's been ok all alone since June. She seems to be doing ok by herself.
Thank you! Good to know.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she seems happy, im sure shes fine on her own, like others said above. Probably better off on her own, wont be involved in a dominance hierarchy that will probably add some stress.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female blue eyed lyretail running solo as well. No issues here. She eats three times a day and is very active. Hard to say if it will affect total expected lifespan.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be onto a point. Does dominance hierarchy shorten lifespans of fish that engage in it?

I’m not a sucker for being dominated myself with the only exception being the one at home. Which has been going well so far. :)

Back