Single maroon clown with two ocellaris in a 125g

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He is also adding a saddleback clownfish soon. It is impossible to catch fish out of the tank given how the rock work is arranged and where they hide so here it is. The maroon and 2 ocellaris have been together for about 5 months. He lost a ocellaris pair two dayd after shipping when they came in rough for the first pair. His hope is to experiment a bit as his stocking is rather unorthodox to put it lightly. We did attept to pull out his second royal gramma with no luck.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming there are no anemones in the tank (though it looks like he's got everything else in there, LOL) but once either the pair finds a host or the maroon does, the relationship may change.

Looks like there's enough rockwork in the tank to allow the fish to hide, but they still may stress each other out, which makes them prone to disease.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming there are no anemones in the tank (though it looks like he's got everything else in there, LOL) but once either the pair finds a host or the maroon does, the relationship may change.

Looks like there's enough rockwork in the tank to allow the fish to hide, but they still may stress each other out, which makes them prone to disease.
I noted that. One thing I looked at was what he was feeding and a few of the small gobies are simply not eatinf because most of the food is eaten by the tangs and clowns so we are going to up the feedings. Hopefully he does not lose too much he has lost fish and coral trying this he was also very experimental in freshwater too. It seems as though about 10 of his fish includinf all 3 clowns are doing great and the rest are hard to tell as small gobies are tough to see of they eat.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on my opinion and experience, the situation that is being proposed is not optimal and may well result in a highly stressful situation or even unnecessary damage and loss of life. I have seen more unusual combinations work, but I would not recommend knowingly creating an environment that is a high risk for failure.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my opinion and experience, the situation that is being proposed is not optimal and may well result in a highly stressful situation or even unnecessary damage and loss of life. I have seen more unusual combinations work, but I would not recommend knowingly creating an environment that is a high risk for failure.
As would I but given that his setup contains many unusual mixes I am curious given the fact that if all works out it may be an amazing reef of course the risk is rather high.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clowns are still alive and not fighting with the exception of the two ocellaris clowns chasing a saddleback (likely will be removed) but the maroon is left alone.

Clowns4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clowns are still alive and not fighting with the exception of the two ocellaris clowns chasing a saddleback (likely will be removed) but the maroon is left alone.

I just got rid of my 3 inch maroon, killed one of my snowflakes. my personal experience is that when they get too big they'll kill any clown around them they can. incredibly hard to catch but we put a net between the anemone and maroon and started pulling nem out of the tank and when trying to stop us, maroon swam straight into net. be creative but I don't recommend keeping the maroon. got a 400g and still went for any clown it could

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got rid of my 3 inch maroon, killed one of my snowflakes. my personal experience is that when they get too big they'll kill any clown around them they can. incredibly hard to catch but we put a net between the anemone and maroon and started pulling nem out of the tank and when trying to stop us, maroon swam straight into net. be creative but I don't recommend keeping the maroon. got a 400g and still went for any clown it could
My ideas also involved attempting to remove the maroon but even fish traps don't work on the little bugger. No trouble with it yet.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the scenario as suspected the maroon killed the small ocellaris and the big ocellaris killed the saddleback. However in a wierd scenario the maroon and the larger ocellaris appears to have paired up.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I have seen some jumbo ocellaris clowns before which between those type of pair. Hopefully, it lasts and they breed as well, if your into that.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I have seen some jumbo ocellaris clowns before which between those type of pair. Hopefully, it lasts and they breed as well, if your into that.
They probably won't breed the issue is the maroon is still growing so the key will be to wait for that.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroon and ocellaris are still paired up so...

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still working. I think all 4 clowns formed a balance as long as the maroon stays male.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind there is no way the maroon doesn't eventually take over. Temporarily this could work I guess. He says it is working. I doubt it will work long term especially if the Clarkii pair annoy the maroon and ocellaris.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back